Notices

Is Chamomile safe for recovery?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is Chamomile safe for recovery?

So I happened to buy some chamomile tea and read a wikipedia-article about it. The article didn't say much. I wonder if it is safe to use by recovering alcoholics/addicts? I know that some herbs may be potent central nervous system depressants and some pharma-drugs, so those I wouldn't think of trying.

I've so far taken note of valerian, which I guess is a bit risky so I won't touch it. Is chamomile ok to use? From what I've read it can have anxiolytic effects but should be milder than valerian and doesn't even work the same way?

What do you people think about chamomile? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

safer than eating a bag of potato chips.

just don't inject highly concentrated extractions of anything into your veins
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drink green and white teas by the gallon . . . so far so good!!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Okay, LBrain: what makes you think it is so safe? Do you mean opinion or fact? Safe perhaps in general but as a recovering alcoholic I get a little concerned about substances "that just might" in some way hinder the recovery process on the physical level. I hope that is fact rather than opinion and has a good foundation behind the science of addiction etc. Some substances are nearly as potent taken by other route than iv.

purpleknight: I don't drink caffeinated teas, just herbal teas here, thus the chamomile.

In any case, who knows the real limit of a substance and its effects on human biology? If it is not certain what and how it brings about its calming effects I'd say I'm still looking for certain answers. Thanks you two.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank a lot of SleepyTime and Tension Tamer teas during my first month of sobriety. They helped a lot with anxiety and relaxation. I didn't care and still don't about a tea carried in the grocery store - Chamomile and Valerian in the one and Eleuthero in the other. Oh, and catnip Green tea and white tea has a little caffeine, not much, but enough to keep me away from it in early recovery. I was too jangled.

Can't you do some online research? A cup of tea has so little of the herb/flower in it. I was concerned with staying in my skin and it was the legal, non addictive natural way to do it.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. There's some new ideas there in the mix. And great answers too. Never tried catnip but have heard of skullcap being a little stronger than chamomile but similar in its effects. I guess anything (safe) that helps induce relaxation and repair the brain is good for recovery. With things like these you would just want to be certain, and aware of any potential risks where there is little to none previous knowledge of the matter at hand.

Like the same with with non-alcoholic drinks (that actually have quite a lot of alcohol in them), namely those benzos I once tried them during a previous recovery job and they sent me back to the pit. It is therefore understandable to be a little cautious like me about the chemicals and substances, natural form or not.

I did some online research but didn't find a clear answer regarding addictions and its use, although it is listed as a therapeutic herbal remedy namely for alcohol addiction recovery. Oh well... Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

UnixBer, I just remembered since you mentioned it... I did try Skullcap for a while when I first got sober in my mid-late 20's. I don't remember how it was, but I bought it after studying an herb book. It seemed to have something that caught my attention. I think it's stronger than other herbs. I wish I could remember how it affected me.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chamomile tea is perfectly safe, no warnings are even on the box. I take Valarian prn ( as needed) for insomnia, but you should avoid it if you are having a planned surgery as it interacts with anesthesia.
I drink coffee every morning but never after noontime, I start the day with strong high octane coffee, get regular exercise and sleep well most nights.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Turns out alcohol is pretty toxic. Who'd have thought....

(With apologies - couldn't help myself!!)
Old 07-06-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm personally against taking anything to somehow alter my mood, sleep, etc whether it is prescription, OTC or herbal. I feel this way simply due to my nature as an addict an the potential to eventually rely on said substances to function. Just my $.02
Old 07-06-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Scott: I find myself in the same boat with that philosophy. Sobriety is such a precious thing.

I gave the chamomile tea a try and found it contains some lemongrass and siberian ginseng as well. Is good. But truly I'd also try to keep external additives such as these to a minimum, no matter what the herbalist or health-store owner has to say about their products. Some are without doubt useful... Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

While catnip can be used as a tea to relieve anxiety and insomnia, I'll stick with Sleepy Time. Wouldn't want catnip in the house since I know it's smokeable for a buzz. Don't ask. I saw colors.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe stick with non alcoholic beverages that don't worry you?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I drank a lot of SleepyTime and Tension Tamer teas during my first month of sobriety. They helped a lot with anxiety and relaxation. I didn't care and still don't about a tea carried in the grocery store - Chamomile and Valerian in the one and Eleuthero in the other. Oh, and catnip Green tea and white tea has a little caffeine, not much, but enough to keep me away from it in early recovery. I was too jangled.

Can't you do some online research? A cup of tea has so little of the herb/flower in it. I was concerned with staying in my skin and it was the legal, non addictive natural way to do it.
I really like those two as well. The tension tamer worked the best for me out of the three. I read chamomile can help the brain heal.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Chamomile tea is always best for sleepless nights.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
After reading this I don't think I'm going to be drinking any more chamomile tea.
I suppose you won't be taking any more aspirin or tylenol either. Read up on how they work. And if it alarms you...

Or for that matter, don't eat ANYTHING that comes in a can or any frozen dinners. Or hot dogs, or store bought tomatoes out of season or

Sometimes we tend to waaaay over analyze things. It is our nature. Or more likely a learned behavior from reading the internet and all of the 1000's of articles on addiction and rehabs and and and.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Where's the chamomilolics forum?

Not being facetious. Just struck me as funny.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have found that there are many things that can cause a "panic" in my life, chamomile tea, boiled water and a good night's sleep are not one of them.

don't believe everything you read on the internet. If you are really worried about the pharmacology of the herbal teas, ask a naturopath or the real pharmacist, they can answer your questions better.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I suppose you won't be taking any more aspirin or tylenol either. Read up on how they work. And if it alarms you...

Or for that matter, don't eat ANYTHING that comes in a can or any frozen dinners. Or hot dogs, or store bought tomatoes out of season or
I have to disagree with something. Fandy: I believe this article is genuine, and not a fake or poorly made-out study.

And of the above: aspirin and hotdogs are not sedative sleep-inducing agents, that depress the nervous system in a way and in the respective (lol, nice word) amount used per person or per serving to have such an effect. If we go there maybe even the air is polluted with alcohols we don't perceive and we get in small amounts of traces of them. But seriously, I take chamomile pretty seriously.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'm personally against taking anything to somehow alter my mood, sleep, etc whether it is prescription, OTC or herbal. I feel this way simply due to my nature as an addict an the potential to eventually rely on said substances to function. Just my $.02
I'm a bit torn on this. On the one hand, I somewhat agree. On the other hand, some people have very serious psychological problems that can only be properly treated with medication. My father was paranoid schizophrenic who refused medication. It led to suicide, and he never drank at all. Severe manic depression has a 20% death by suicide rate.

In other words, whether someone drinks grocery store tea, etc., may come down to a personal choice that must be determined based on the individual's triggers. But, we must be careful lest people with severe psychological disorders avoid medical treatment also. Right?

Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't have a problem with the tea, personally. However, it has never done much for me so I don't bother with it anymore.

I have genuinely been avoiding drugs of any kind while I find sobriety because I need to find out who I am sober. I really don't know yet. However, I'm also pretty sure I don't suffer from a major psychological illness.

Be well.