Notices

Is Chamomile safe for recovery?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

the point is that you will need to use a lot of chamomile tea for it to have unwelcome effects.

Just as people hear of the latest health craze food/tea/herb. It sells. Marketing and advertisement work. But did you know you need to ingest 100 pounds of x/y/z extract a day to realize the benefits? We are a quick fix society. And as such, those with the bucks to quickly produce and market a product make lots more money. sway it is.

It's how chamomile tea was flooded into the markets.

If you need to sleep, eat a balanced diet and get some exercise. Don't eat too late. And stay away from caffeine.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sent can be powerful too.. Aveeno makes the most fabulous night time chamomile and lavender baby lotion..

Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Sobertaurus View Post
...while I find sobriety because I need to find out who I am sober. I really don't know yet.
Funny you should mention that as I have no idea who a sober me will turn out to be. I started drinking and drugging at 16. If I had waited until next year I could have celebrated 40 years of inebriation. Since I started self-medicating so young my personality, literally who I am, has always been a person under the influence.

Coming out of this state, who will I be? What will I do? What will I bring from my old life into my new life? So many questions.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No disrespect intended, but I find it funny too. I wish us all that the biggest worry we have is whether chamomile is safe.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

LoL @ Sent. But hey, babies and little children aren't alcoholics, yet. Therefore their nervous systems are not wired to intolerate sedation.

I'll just give my own conclusion here that I will discontinue chamomile use, regardless of opinions and facts and ideation given here. I notice, and anyone who does a cup of chamomile tea will notice it has a slightly drowsy impact and it gives (at least me) a dull, even dumb feeling for some time. Now, if anyone would argue that this is not sedation and that this effect is not the central nervous system being depressed, then at least read the article.

Can do most herbs, just not sedatives. Especially when it binds to benzo-receptors in the brain. It just sounds too much for me. Going for a round of ginkgo-tea. New item.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

There's an acronym used heavily by backpackers: HYOH. Hike Your Own Hike. I fully support your choice to not use chamomile.

A big serving of mashed potatoes gives me the exact same results as chamomile tea, though.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

with turkey and gravy too.

I fully understand one's concern for a substance that gives them pause regarding it's effects on their body. As well one should. nuff said
Old 07-11-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yeah. Got to do what feels right.

The real question should've been: is apigenin safe for recovery? That's the relaxing thing in chamomile. Apparently it is still very mild for a sedative, and I may be following the wrong path. There is lots of evidence for its positive effects for anxiety, inflammation etc.

I thought that it made me feel bad, but there is also a possibility that there was a reaction to the idea itself that it might pose a threat to sobriety. A kind of fixation on that, of which I've not been totally consciously aware. Then it could be the av doing these kinds of stunts on the background... It usually likes to attach to things of confusion and random worry. As it makes no sense by itself, it makes perfect sense for it to use these nonsense schemes.

Sorry if this thread has caused some people concern over chamomile. It might actually be only good for recovery. Hasty conclusions are not always the best. I'll still try it for some time and see how thing are then. What startled me was a feeling of restlessness, dullness and some kind of psychosis-like state that could have nothing to do with the herb, or the herb could be triggering that as a healing mechanism. Time will tell. Thanks for the many opinions and viewpoints.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
There is also a possibility that there was a reaction to the idea itself that it might pose a threat to sobriety. Then it could be the av doing these kinds of stunts on the background... It usually likes to attach to things of confusion and random worry. As it makes no sense by itself, it makes perfect sense for the AV to use these nonsense schemes.
These are my thoughts precisely, UnixBer. I feel it is far more productive to help others or resume that old passion that lit your fire before the addiction took hold, than to fret about tea or trace amounts of alcohol as grave threats to our sobriety. These are the things that make life worth living and ultimately will keep us sober for good. Best to you.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

OOOoooooooo Interesting topic... I was drinking Chamomile tea by the bucket when i was going through withdrawal.. no bad effects that I'm aware of. It did calm me but hey that could be the placebo effect or not.. I'm off it now & drinking milk thistle tea & white & green tea.. the only drink which tends to make me relapse is coffee. Don't know what the link is between caffeine & alcohol but I know for me, if I start drinking cafe I will probably relapse hence why i avoid it now.. Anybody else experienced this??
Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I fully understand one's concern for a substance that gives them pause regarding it's effects on their body. As well one should. nuff said
I am duly shamed. But come ON, CHAMOMILLE!!! You have to admit it's a little funny. Well maybe not, but I giggle a little every time I see this topic title. Ok ok I'll shut it, I know I'm not adding anything to the discussion. Have a bright day, everyone!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
No disrespect intended, but I find it funny too. I wish us all that the biggest worry we have is whether chamomile is safe.

So very true and very real!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

this obsession about chamomile tea and how it may be harmful is totally Ludacris.

as I stated before, go and ask a homeopathic physician or a licensed pharmacist for these concerns. spending hours and hours reading on the internet will just make you crazy.

but relax, I really doubt you caused anyone else to worry about it's effect.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Chamomile is just as safe as breathing air.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sobertaurus View Post
I'm a bit torn on this. On the one hand, I somewhat agree. On the other hand, some people have very serious psychological problems that can only be properly treated with medication. My father was paranoid schizophrenic who refused medication. It led to suicide, and he never drank at all. Severe manic depression has a 20% death by suicide rate.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I'm certainly not suggesting that those with serious psychological problems or medical problems should not utilize drugs/supplments in their prescribed manner.

I just personally try to avoid having to take or eat/drink anything that alters my mood or sleep patterns/energy level/etc. It's hypocritical for me to say this of course because I used alcohol for decades to alter my mood, but now that I am sober I've decided to try and use as many "natural" methods as I can ( balanced diet, moderate exercise, adequate sleep ) to keep myself in balance. It's working pretty good actually, but i'm just one person and it's my choice to do so.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

who's going to say it? who? who, who who?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
who's going to say it? who? who, who who?
Who's going to say what?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Pretty much it seems everything is as follows.......

found in nature and/or plant-based: "Good for you" or "harmless" at best, "relatively safe" at worst

all things human/industrially-produced: "questionable" at best, "dangerous" or "bad for you" at worst

It's true if you think about, modern ailments like "cancer", "diabetes", "alzheimers", etc were almost non-existent just a couple hundred years ago........ can't be a coincidence.

Of course, artificial/man-made substances and chemicals have their place.......... if there is simply no other option or if there's an urgent emergency. I won't lie, "Alka seltzer" has saved me a number of times in the past when i felt i was going to vomit..... i just popped one tablet into a glass of water, downed it promptly, BOOM a potential puking-my-guts-out incident completely averted.

Nature provides everything we need, nothing we don't
Old 07-11-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Nature provides everything we need, nothing we don't.
Nature provides tobacco and nicotine, coffee and caffeine, poppies and opium, the coca plant and cocaine, mushrooms and psylocybin, sunshine and melanoma, sea breezes and Hurricane Katrina, volcanoes and poison gas, beneficial bacteria and tuberculosis, fresh fruit and fermentation, bread and beer.

I think your thesis needs a little work.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57
Nature provides tobacco and nicotine, coffee and caffeine, poppies and opium, the coca plant and cocaine, mushrooms and psylocybin, sunshine and melanoma, sea breezes and Hurricane Katrina, volcanoes and poison gas, beneficial bacteria and tuberculosis, fresh fruit and fermentation, bread and beer.

I think your thesis needs a little work.
I think you missed the point....... overall, the positives outweigh the handful of negatives you mentioned.

The fact remains: obesity, "depression", insomnia, "cancer", "alzheimers", "diabetes", and the countless other mainly "modern" problems.......... barely existed just a couple centuries ago.

I've NEVER heard of a dog that couldn't sleep (insomnia), for example.......... we are our own worst enemies.