SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/337934-hi.html)

Deangrant 07-05-2014 08:06 AM

Hi

I drink a lot as I had my life saving stolen. I went into self pity mode. I have reduced my drinking from a bottle of scotch a day 2 years ago to two bottles of wine over the past 14 day which I'm most proud of. Now I'm going clean but when I stop I get panic/anxiety attacks and worry a lot. I also gave up smoking 2 weeks ago so I'm assuming this will pass. I'm here cause I want to know how everyone else copes with reality, the reason I started drinking heavily is still there so I know drinking didn't make things better. I hope I'm not being too forward with my first post but it would be great to know how everyone else coped with no alcohol.

Thepatman 07-05-2014 08:11 AM

Welcome to SR

Nothing coward about your first post. This addiction is relentless and hard to deal with. We all, at some point found our personal breaking point. Health, money, broken relationships. Etc

I would humbly say that any support option available to you in your area, any detox facility available, go for it. You doctor can also help.

Pull in all the troops you need

LBrain 07-05-2014 09:10 AM

Welcome Deangrant. Yes, the first thing to do is to quit drinking all together. There is no reason to worry about how to live without drinking if you still drink.

It's kinda like a two pronged approach. First you stop, then you go.
Sober up - and stay sober - STOP.
Learn how to live life without drinking - GO.

Keep reading, there is a lot of information here. And the people are great with support.

Ghostlight1 07-05-2014 09:33 AM

Yes, the things we drink for are still there when we drink. I know that routine well.
I had a lot of anxiety when I wasn't drinking, too. And I tried to quit a hundred times. The anxiety, and the thought I could control my drinking, always led me back to the bottle.
I'm sure quitting cigarettes isn't helping your anxiety, either. But, have faith, it does go away the longer you are sober. You can do it.

Welcome to the forum and post away.

PurpleKnight 07-05-2014 10:26 AM

Welcome to the Forum Dean!! :wave:

Yeap this was my big hurdle too, dealing with stress whether at work or in life, I escaped with my friend alcohol, but without alcohol how could I do it?!!

For me I changed my lifestyle, more sleep, better eating, more exercise, less caffeine, more herbal teas, all these things produced a more healthier lifestyle and has reduced the overall stress I feel each day.

But then there are the times when I need a quick fix due to those sudden things happening in life, as they always do, this then calls for a quick solution, mine is coat on, ipod in and out for a long long walk in the fresh air, this really clears my head out.

We have to find our own solutions, but it can be done, how do non drinkers people deal with stress? it's not that they are never stressed, it's just they don't use alcohol, they do other things, so it is possible!! :)

Deangrant 07-05-2014 09:16 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. This was my first day without alcohol and I slept swell but woke up early. It's a great feeling, worth not drinking for! I don't have much else to say but I'll keep posting random stuff it seems to help not doing it alone. I don't want to discuss my drinking with friends as I don't want pity or anything like that.