Notices

The more I am on this SR the more I think about drinking...

Old 06-30-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The more I am on this SR the more I think about drinking...

Does anyone find that the more they sit around reading the posts on SR and posting the more they think about drinking? Could this foster relapse? What about (at least for me) spending some time exercising or discovering healthy hobbies? I have been on SR ALOT lately and not that it hasn't helped and not that I don't greatly appreciate the people, but I find that the only thing that is on my mind is alcohol b/c that's all I "talk" about on SR. Maybe it's time for a healthy distraction? Thots? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 06-30-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

I imagine that many people who are in early recovery think about drinking a lot, including those who've never even heard of SR.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Moderation is good. If you're feeling triggered, what's going on? I mean, I don't think many people here are talking about how great their drinking career was or how much fun they had on their last relapse? Most of the talks here revolve around recovery, not just alcohol. If you're feeling triggered here and think you need to moderate your time on here, then go ahead. Most of us don't spend all day on SR (well, except Dee, lol!). We go out, exercise, work, socialize, have good sober fun, attend meetings, go out for dinner...all kinds of things!

What do you think is triggering your feelings?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

hi Serenidad, I credit SR for my long-term sobriety but yes, there have been times I became too immersed in the idea of alcohol, even though it was anti.
Are you at the stage where you need to turn your focus towards building a sober life? There's plenty of inspiration on SR about how to do that, but you may need to look for threads that reflect how you are at the moment.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Serenidad, I think that the best case end-state is one where we live happy fulfilling lives with peace and beauty and joy in them. I don't believe we can do that if our entire persona is all alcohol, all the time. That wasn't healthy while drinking of course, and I don't think it is healthy while sober.

I suggest you start doing some things you enjoy doing, that both require and foster mastery. This feeling of a special personal achievement will help you support yourself as you become more secure in your sobriety. It will help you see yourself as Serenidad the cabinet maker, the baker, the candlestick maker, whatever suits your fancy, instead of Serenidad the drunk. Set yourself a goal and go get it!

Your prize will be that serenity we all wish for. Best to you.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Serinidad, I've had the opposite reaction. For me it's been an eye opener that there is an entire community out there that relates to me. Do you think something like AA would help you better? I hope you can find something that doesn't trigger you but you are always welcome here. Best wishes!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I believe it's been proven that computers and the internet can be addictive. Heavy use may be triggering your addictive history with alcohol. Go. Do. Try getting away from the screen and monitor your reactions. REport back to us. It could help someone else.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Well

I've been on this site for a long time. I've read a lot of posts how drinking is destroying their life. I've read countless stories of the family members posting the pain and suffering of watching a loved one destroying their life by drinking.

Perhaps, you might want read some more posts and tell me again what makes you want to drink again!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

This is 1st heard of SR cozing a person to think opposite. Was on this site a lot in the beginning days of sobriety & needed it coz felt as if was on the edge of cliff but now even tho I'm still looking for FT work, i try making an effort to post smthg even if its only 24hr sign in. Otherwise there's mtgs to go to & books to read. Find whats fits for you & go for it
Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I believe it's been proven that computers and the internet can be addictive.
Alcoholics and addicts are at much higher risk for what's being called "Internet Addiction" than the general population. I've seen this more than a few times in both my clinical practice and in research studies.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Does anyone find that the more they sit around reading the posts on SR and posting the more they think about drinking?
I use to say this about going to AA meetings. In fact, I even blamed the meetings for my drinking. Quite frankly when I first quit drinking everything made me want to drink. It is not surprising as my focus was on not drinking, especially early in sobriety.

Give yourself some time and a break once in awhile from reading to centre yourself.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the only time i think of drink is in an aa room my friend
but then its good that i can think about drink and all the harm its caused me, all the hurt its caused my kids, all the people who have suffered because of me and my drinking.

i dont have any good thoughts at all in my head about drink as i know what it does for me

so hopefully you know what it does for you to and when you think about drink your reminded exactly of all the hang overs all the broken promises and all the pain that its given you or not as the case maybe
if your thinking about good things in drink then perhaps your not reading the messages the right way on sr ?

i have found i have to learn to moderate and have a routine in my life, like go to work, go to aa, look after my home, my kids, find time to relax and unwind etc, one of the ways i can unwind is popping on here for a good old read of others problems and help if i can
its getting the balence right in life for all things and not just focusing life on one single thing
Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post

Does anyone find that the more they sit around reading the posts on SR and posting the more they think about drinking?

What about (at least for me) spending some time exercising or discovering healthy hobbies?
this site helps me to remember how it was

I think healthy hobbies to be of most importance

took a 20 mile bicycle ride today around Mission Bay and the boardwalk -- good time had

MM
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've gone through periods where I wouldn't read certain kinds of posts, like posts from ppl who were relapsed and actively drinking because I found it sort of triggering or discouraging or something. And I have other times when getting away from sr feels like the best choice--and I'm not incredibly active to begin with.

I admire members like Dee who are able to be such a constant source of support for others, but I definitely cannot do that, at least at this stage in my journey. I feel a little bad when ppl pm me and it takes me days to respond--I hope they all know it is not personal.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It helps me to focus on recovery, and continue to make this my number one priority.
G
Old 06-30-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am triggered by everything. I am triggered by nothing. I'm an alcoholic.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me, the time I spend on here is very much about the "problem" of drinking for both myself and others. It keeps me connected to the "problem" of it rather than the drinking itself. I know that I can while away too much time here but for right now...I need to fill the lonely spaces. And it helps with that.

I wasn't really doing anything all that productive when I was drinking really. And at this moment, although I am before my laptop, I drove into the city at 9 p.m. so that I may spend tomorrow (which is July 1st Canada Day for me) with a friend. I'm staying at my brother's oceanside apartment in the sky. I know I'm going to wake up early and get a full day in. I'm quite certain I would not be here if still drinking. It would've taken far too much organization as I decided last minute. I would have settled in with a bottle of wine after work...and probably wouldn't have done a damn thing with my tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I look at it the other way, the more I spend on SR the more I'm reminded of all the reasons I quit drinking, it's very hard for my mind to lie to me about how great alcohol was when every day I read people's stories of how it isn't!!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Have a look around some of the monthly class threads, especially those that have more than a couple months' sobriety. Most of the time the immediate daily alcohol threat has passed, a community camaraderie has formed, and there is a lot of entertaining banter as well as whole-life sharing and support.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am definitely one that could be a textbook example for internet and computers addiction. And seriously. I don't care about social media, it's about information and the technology accessible via computers. Honestly, for me, no one has ever criticized my drinking because they have not really seen it mostly, but the attachment to computers is something mostly everyone who gets to know me will comment on. Something I should address sometime, but honestly, not ready yet.

For me, SR actually saved me. I used the hell out of it for months, because I had intense alcohol cravings very often (by day and by night, anytime), and when I was on SR it helped me not to act on my cravings.