Notices

Old 07-05-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm Susan and just found soberrecovery. I put together 16 sober days then threw them away and drank Thursday, finishing off the bottle yesterday morning. I want to stop this insanity! I'm open to all suggestions.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Perhaps you hit the nail on the head, insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Been there and learned that the way to stop it was to get honest with myself about MY drinking. Next was to accept the fact that I could not drink in safety and make a plan to stop it permanently. Back then there was no internet and along with millions of others I relied on the teachings of the fellowship.
I finally learned that if I didn’t pick up a first drink I wouldn’t have to get sober AGAIN.

BE WELL
Old 07-05-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR.

Tell us what you have tried and what you are planning to do to stay sober. It will help us make more specific suggestions.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Susan! Welcome! For myself, I had to be ready. I promised my husband over and over again that I would cut down. Never worked, there were a bunch of things that finally slapped me in the face and I knew I needed to change. My first move was an awesome shrink! When your life is a puzzle box full of jumbled pieces, you may need to look outside for help to start redoing the puzzle. I attend meetings, but am admittedly on the outskirts of aa. It's all in my unwillingness to completely give in, I am getting there, but it's taking me a long time. In the meantime, I haven't drank in 4.5 months and can't believe the difference in myself! Hang in there Susan, you wil like it here!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Susan! We are here to support you and also to learn from you. Keep posting and reading!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Lots of good advice, experience and hope on offer here!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Susan. What did you do during those 16 sober days? Perhaps you can build on that moving forward?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Susan. One of the most important days in my life was the day I knew I was done with alcohol. I went a few days sober and then came here. This is my support. I get great advice, lots of support and a whole group of people I have come to know and love. We have a 24 hour support thread that I always sign into, just promising not to drink today. When I was just beginning that was such a great help. I would really want a drink, but I would think, I promised not to drink today. I will have a drink tomorrow. I never feel like drinking in the morning, so I would promise again. You get the picture. We also have chat meetings at 8 pm central in the chat meeting room on Tuesday and Friday. I learn so much there. Post often and read all you can. We are all here for you. You can do this.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I forgot to add, when I got sober I lived in the chat room every chance I got and anytime I wanted a drink. If no one is in there post on the board and ask someone to join you. That chat room is a great resource. I love it.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Susan!!