Notices

What do you do?

Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do?

Hi sober people,

What do you do on the 4th of July that doesn't involve drinking? My husband, kids, family & friends are all at a huge party right now and I'm sitting at home alone with my cat and dog like a LOSER because I don't want to be around alcohol. :-(

Will it EVER be possible to have fun on the 4th of July without drinking? It seems like everyone I know drinks on this holiday. It sucks! I feel like I'm on Mars or something.

I'm thankful for my independence but it seems like all the 4th is about is alcohol! Should I just crawl in a cave every year on this day?

P.S. I'm FINE to be around alcohol & people drinking when it's not the ONLY focus like going to a sporting event etc etc but this holiday is like:
1. Drink
2. Drink
3. Maybe eat
4. Drink
5. Watch fireworks
6. Drink
7. Go home

:-( Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-04-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We've watched fireworks displays every year without drinking. I'm sure others drink around us, but it's usually dark and we sit in our own little section and so we don't really have to see it close up. I always have sparklers at home in the backyard because it's illegal to do actual fireworks in the city limits here. Maybe your cat and dog would like to see some sparklers?
Old 07-04-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time to come up with some new holiday traditions.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
We've watched fireworks displays every year without drinking. I'm sure others drink around us, but it's usually dark and we sit in our own little section and so we don't really have to see it close up. I always have sparklers at home in the backyard because it's illegal to do actual fireworks in the city limits here. Maybe your cat and dog would like to see some sparklers?
Haha funny SoberJennie! Maybe I could attach my cat & 7 pound dog to bottle rockets & they could fly!!! Lol

In all seriousness...the party around here goes on all freakin day!!! Drunks everywhere!

Do you go to AA meetings SoberJennie? If so do they have fireworks? :-/

Old 07-04-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Time to come up with some new holiday traditions.
Ideas? :-)

Old 07-04-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can speak from experience from our biggest national holiday here in Ireland, that being St Patrick's day, and you can imagine it's pretty much a drinking festival sponsored by Guinness!!

However last year I arranged to go visit friends and go on a fishing trip, we packed up the tents and fly rods and headed to a few lakes and a river that we had arranged permits for, it was soo relaxing and the whole time I didn't even think about drinking, there wasn't a bar in sight or a pint of Guinness.

I guess we just need to get creative, were can we go to have a good time without any full on drinking going on? I chose the middle of a mountain range fishing on a lake.

I usually do this type of trip during the summer but I called up a few people and asked how does 17th March sound? and they thankfully agreed!!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Serenidad - we don't have anything like the 4th here...but like Anna said - maybe it's time for a few new holiday traditions...

Family picnic - no booze...friendly sports games, going to a movie, some kind of family project...use your imagination
There are some good ideas here too

http://recoveryprincess.com/how-to-b...n-4th-of-july/

and here
http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/recov...th-of-july.php

D
Old 07-04-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Serenidad, just do your best not to beat yourself up, your not a loser. I admire the strength you have for not caving in. Rootin for ya.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I haven't gone to AA meetings since last summer. I go to Continuing Care meetings every couple of weeks though. No fireworks there. At least, not the typical

Definitely would suggest not to go to a place that will trigger you though. Not until you feel ready to. Don't feel bad about staying home either. Your sobriety comes first for now.

I'd definitely share some sparklers with you if I could!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to do a lot of hiking with my children in the summer months. It's a great way to spend a day - bring a picnic, sit down and rest for awhile. The point is to do things differently than you have been doing them.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Let see...my husband and I got up before
dawn, sat outside with our cup of coffee,
got favorite donuts, went to Walmart early
morning, fed our birds, drove to a Birds
Unlimited store for something cute for our
many birds, then went to set up my date
at the tattoo shop for Aug. 11th which is
my Sobriety Anniversary.

To my surprise, they had an early opening
with my tattooist and stayed to get it instead
of waiting.

Soooooo, for my 24th sobriety anniv. on
Aug. 11th, I got it today.

There are so many awesome rewards
in recovery just by remaining sober,
living a program of recovery I learned
many one days sober yrs ago and passing
that knowledge on to others still struggling
with addiction.

Just being a member and in the fellowship
of a recovery program I never have to feel
alone or go thru anything alone by myself
ever again. Even the holidays.

Happy sober 4th..!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A lot of times spending holidays with friends who have a big family with lots of children can be a way to avoid alcohol. If there are a lot of kids running around, most people drink little if at all.

I wangled a few invites from people with kids in years past. No alcohol and a really fun time.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
A lot of times spending holidays with friends who have a big family with lots of children can be a way to avoid alcohol
That was my plan at Xmas, I spent about a week visiting aunts/uncles who had many young cousins that I hadn't seen in ages, and as guessed I was being offered cups of tea and biscuits (which I think I overindulged in ) rather than glasses of brandy!!

It was fantastic, as I basically played loads of board games all week long, being dragged here and there by my teenage cousins, some had the pleasure of kicking my ass on their playstation or xbox!! (btw next Xmas it's payback time )

But the main thing was I was Sober!!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Serenidad,

I get it…how to celebrate the 4th of July without booze.

You know the words that are part of our national anthem?

"land of the free, and the home of the brave".

I would say that anyone who is fighting their way out of the maze off addiction is seeking to be free and is brave to take on the quest. People who can envision something that is new to them or who dare to dream about a better life are capable of making it happen. The 4th of July is about our forefathers setting down on paper the future they hoped we would have...

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator certain inalienable rights, (cue the HP discussion, kidding!), among these life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness".

The Declaration of Independence are about disbanding a previous way of life because of a belief that a better way of life is possible. Try reading it in the context of what you are grappling with…it is a powerful piece. Goosebumps, even.

Breaking free of what they knew and being open to the possibility that a greater way of life existed took a leap of faith, I happen to believe many great things resulted because of the wisdom of those who could see beyond the constraints that bound them.

Why don't you make a private celebration in honor of declaring your independence from alcohol?

Happy 4th!
And never underestimate the power of ice cream.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I think going to a meeting is a GREAT idea Serenidad!

That is exactly what I'll be doing tonight, right after our Chat Room meeting here on SR.

I'd like to invite you to join us.... 6pm PST/9pm EST. Click on the Chat Room button above, then click on the door next to where it says Meeting Room in the yellow field on the right side of the Chat Room page.

Hope to see you there!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Serenidad, I chose to do the same thing you did. Been home all day - cleaning. I'm gonna take a drive later and watch some fireworks from afar but like you I'm wondering what there is to do sober on a all about drinking holiday. Hopefully the next 4th isn't spent in isolation. Best wishes!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I went to a meeting this morning, mowed my lawn and trimmed my hedges and then took a long nap. I had an invitation to go to a barbecue which I declined because I was sick this week and felt I still needed some rest. I am going to make some ice tea and watch the fireworks from my front porch later like I did last year.
I never liked going out and about on the 4th: people get stupid, fire guns, illegal fireworks, drive drunk, pick fights....

Old 07-04-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FT

Wow! Even the children are drunk???

Come on, please. NOT everyone is drunk. Even if they were, SOMEBODY has to be the designated driver so everyone gets home safely.

Why not YOU?

Seriously, life can be so much fun NOT-drunk. There are a lot of us nondrinkers who do not miss drinking AT all.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Serenidad, I have a tip for you: WATERMELON! Seriously, this is how a bunch of us on the CLass of July 2014 is doing. Focus in the eating done on the 4th, instead of the drinking :-).

On another note, my husband, who has been sober for 14 years (and is my biggest supporter) quit drinking exactly on a 4th of July. I've always found it such a significant date for him. Every year he remembers it and celebrates with some interesting or unusual non-alcoholic beverage. Today he drank some weird "dry cucumber soda" he found on a specialty supermarket.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I live about 20 minutes from the American border and used to date an American. I am Canadian and our July 1st is similar to your July 4th. But holy hannah when I spent July 4th with the ex? Geez Louise it was a HUGE PAR-TAY! There were fireworks everywhere...coming out of backyards all over the place and these people were drunk. It was actually a little bit terrifying...so ya...I drank more.

But I gotta admit....you're holiday seems to be way more "Party on Dude!"..than ours. Canada Day is very much a family day kinda thing. Cities put on pancake breakfast and lots of entertainment, etc. In all honesty, I think more people here are hung over on Canada Day because it's a stat holiday and everyone got drunk the night before.

It just seems way more PG over here....like it's actually...pretty much just a day you don't have to work...with fireworks. If you have kids..well, you do more of the kid thing etc. That's bout it really.

It's just a day...no need to drink over it.