Notices

about to throw away 66 days

Old 07-04-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

about to throw away 66 days

People have been at my house drinking all day, and every night all week. I have 66 days clean with heroin being my main drug but alcohol has certainly been a problem for me in the past as well. I suddenly got a very strong urge to just drink my face off. Not with them, I don't want beer, I want to walk to the bar downtown and slam mixed drinks.

I left the house with no money and am at the park crying and panicking and texting my best friend. I want to give in so bad and I also desperately want to get thru tonight sober. I don't know what to do except try to fend off the craving by reaching out to someone.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, please do reach out to someone to help get rid of the craving to drink. You don't really want to throw away your significant sober time. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have posted.

Do whatever you have to do to get thru this sober.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Amester, 66 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. yes, please, just fend of the attack, we are all rootin for ya. :egyptt:
Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe you could meet with your friend, maybe get something to eat. Think about how you will feel in the morning if you get trashed tonight. The agony and misery might not be worth an hour of so called fun. You have done so well-66 days is fantastic. Maybe hanging out with drinking people is too much. You can do this and you will be so happy if you can make it through.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Amester, great job on posting before doing anything, think about what having that drink is actually going to achieve, is it just a craving to do something you've already done or is it going to be any benefit to you today? what is your mind trying to sell you?

Check your HALT checklist - Hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired? . . . do any of those need sorted out?

66 Days is a lot to simply throw away, there would need to be something pretty good that alcohol is going to do for you for it to be worthwhile, and from experience there probably isn't, a hangover and all the feelings that will go along with it tomorrow is actually going to make you feel worse!!

Hang in there, keep posting here, you can get through this!!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

66 days is great and a night of drinking isn't worth it. Every time I've relapsed I feel terrible about it the next day. Maybe staying out walking around the park some, or music, or a book or movie could distract you for a while. Good idea posting here about your cravings rather then just giving into them right away.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How many times have we deceived ourselves with those thoughts. Best to do whatever is needed so as to not play out to the deception of the lie.
MM
Old 07-04-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amester, you are in NYC right? Can you walk over to the East River and watch them setting up for the fireworks? Sometimes just getting a perspective about how much is going on in the world around me helps.

You can do this. 66 days is a feat, and it won't always feel like this. Every time you keep your head down and get through one of these moments you come out stronger, trust yourself. You can do this, and a HUGE bravo for reaching out.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay. So one time, years ago, I wanted to drink so bad and it was around 2 am and absolutely NO ONE I knew was answering the phone. I looked in the phone book (remember them?) and called every minister/rabbi listed. Third call, a rabbi answered and he met me at Denny's. He made me eat one of those huge breakfast and drink a milk shake (guy even paid for it). Within 15 minutes of talking to him I was much better but he insisted I eat. I was so stuffed and so full of gratitude I went home and slept the best I had in months and months.

You could always google or something, yes?
Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Amester - the fact you're posting here means to me you don't want to give in

I know this is a tough weekend, but you can stay sober - it may not be terribly comfortable but it is achievable.

Remember where your last drink took you...play the movie through to the end. There is no one or two drinks for folks like us.

Stay by SR. Keep posting

Remember the tips here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

If you need more support...I'm not sure if you subscribe to any recovery group but an AA meeting could help - I'm sure there's one near you, and the face to face human factor of support can't be discounted.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Amester View Post
I want to give in so bad and I also desperately want to get thru tonight sober. I don't know what to do except try to fend off the craving by reaching out to someone.
Hang in there, you can do this! That feeling goes away and you're doing exactly what you should be doing. Good going!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hang in here as needed, Amester. It is a rough one today, but together, we will get through it. If you can avoid the drinking homestead, that might help too. Glad you posted.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I respect you physically getting yourself away from the situation. My "original" DOC was cocaine but I did relapse on alcohol and it kicked my arse for 8 years. The climb back to reality and life is tough. Give yourself a break and stay tough now. You CAN do this...you are worth it!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Amester...you're doing the right things here. You're calling friends...posted here. 66 days of hard wok Amester. Don't throw it away. Don't give in. Get on through this. This day is a doozy obviously...but you can ride this through until tomorrow. Ride it out. Get through. Is there some sort of recovery meeting you could go to?
AA, NA...whatever. Whether it's your thing or not...it's an hour out of your own head...just listening to the stories of others is so darn helpful sometimes.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Amester, oh how I know that feeling. Coming here for help is a sign you don't want to give in. It could be the stress of having a house full of people over. Tomorrow you probably won't feel this way. Don't give in, 66 days is phenomenal. You can do it! Best wishes!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Believe in yourself. Pray, eat ice cream, take a walk or a bike ride to clear your head. Most of all believe in yourself. Congrats on 66 days, you can get to 67!!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's fantastic you reached out and I hope to hear tomorrow you're still sober!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Amsterdam. DONT give in, 66 days is hard work. Find the strength to get through today and again tomorrow...... If it was easy, there would be any addictics
Old 07-04-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well it's midnight and I'm still sober! Thank you all sooo much for the support. The craving passed within an hour, and it turned out my friend was having a crisis tonight and really needed my support. Being there for him was more important than getting drunk.

Tomorrow is another big party here but I already have plans in place to get though it without struggling like I did today. I'm so grateful for all the support here, it's saved my behind more than once!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Way to go Amester, sooo proud of you!!!! Best wishes!