SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Looking for the Light (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/337854-looking-light.html)

BrownsChem24 07-04-2014 11:02 AM

Looking for the Light

So this is my second time in my life that I am trying to get sober and stay that way. I am 28 yo and went to rehab when I was 24 and have put together a pretty successful career as a chemist and a member of my church and community, however, I relapsed pretty hardcore the last few months and it all came crashing down when I got my first OVI ever...I do not know what happened I thought I was doing ok and then I got blackout drunk with some people that I really do not care for to begin with and tried to drive to a family members house and got pulled over, now my career and legal consequences are up in the air and so I am trying to re-commit to my sobriety...Can anyone recommend a book that helped them in the beginning?

biminiblue 07-04-2014 11:04 AM

"Alcoholics Anonymous" - the Big Book.

Sorry for the trouble you've gotten yourself into. That's the road alcohol takes us down - and it's nothing but down.

Welcome to the site, and I pray you'll stop today.

PurpleKnight 07-04-2014 11:14 AM

Welcome to the Forum!! You'll find loads of support here!! :wave:

ultradad 07-04-2014 11:16 AM

Welcome Brown! Take it from someone who has already had 3 DUI'S, it only gets worse if we continue to drink! Thank God if this is all it takes for you! AA saved my life so I would suggest finding a meeting and going!

All the best!

mick3580 07-04-2014 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BrownsChem24 (Post 4759331)
So this is my second time in my life that I am trying to get sober and stay that way. I am 28 yo and went to rehab when I was 24 and have put together a pretty successful career as a chemist and a member of my church and community, however, I relapsed pretty hardcore the last few months and it all came crashing down when I got my first OVI ever...I do not know what happened I thought I was doing ok and then I got blackout drunk with some people that I really do not care for to begin with and tried to drive to a family members house and got pulled over, now my career and legal consequences are up in the air and so I am trying to re-commit to my sobriety...Can anyone recommend a book that helped them in the beginning?

"Alcoholics Anonymous: the story of how many thousands of men and women have recovered from Alcoholism."

totfit 07-04-2014 12:06 PM

The Complete Book of Running is a great book for an activity that will help immensely. What has helped me is not obsessing on the problem, but instead accepting I can't drink without consequence and that it is nonsense for me. Other than that my reading material is about improving aspects of my life and health.

LBrain 07-04-2014 12:22 PM

Spiritual Path of the Warrior.

Serenidad 07-04-2014 12:55 PM

You are not alone! It will get better. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery

Anna 07-04-2014 02:18 PM

"A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle gives you a spiritual and gentle way to change your life.

"The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav was pivotal for me.

Dee74 07-04-2014 04:13 PM

Hi and welcome BrownsChem24 :)

There are some terrific reading choices here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html

I hope you'll stick around. SR helped me turn my life around - maybe we can help you do the same? :)

D

BoozeFree 07-04-2014 04:16 PM

Welcome to SR

jaynie04 07-04-2014 04:21 PM

Hi Browns.

Have you read "Under the Influence"? It might appeal to you as a scientist as it explains some of the physiological aspects of what we are dealing with. I found it useful because it made sense, understanding why I responded differently than other people helped me let go when and not continue beating my head against the wall. For me, it removed a lot of judgement I was making about my situation and helped me move on.