Notices

I'm new here, problem to alcohol

Old 07-04-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking I'm new here, problem to alcohol

First of all I would like to greet everyone a Happy independence day! Greetings to those who find their freedom from addiction. Please to meet everyone.

Being within a family of drinkers is hard for me to resist alcohol. I want to go out from this dilemma. Is any of you get a depression after drinking? Its always become my problem. i wanna stop now, but i dont i think i can. I'm so mess up.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Frankynstein, Welcome to the Forum!!

Yeap, alcohol affected my mood when I drank it, I would become very depressed and negative about life, it was one of the many issues that I sorted out by quitting alcohol.

Everyone has it within them to quit, it's not beyond any of us, you just need to make the decision and with the right support and direction you'll get there!!

Great to have you on board!!
Old 07-04-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR.

Independence Day is a great day to declare your independence from alcohol. You can do this!

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 07-04-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome to SR, Frankynstein! Being a sober alcoholic in a family of drinkers is rough. I only see my family a couple of times a year but when I do, it's usually a holiday and some alcohol is around. I've found that I have to concentrate on me and my relationship with alcohol. Most of my family members seem to be able drink alcohol and the worst thing that happens to them is that they may feel a little off the next morning. I can honestly say that I have never seen either of my parents hung over or severely drunk where I seem to always get severely drunk when I drink.

I can not enjoy drinking anymore. I might feel good for a very short amount of time but I always end up very depressed, even if I don't get wasted. I am so much happier sober. It's not easy all the time but it's a lot easier than living with drinking the way I drink. I was a terrible drunk and I never thought I could get sober and actually be happy. It's been a lot of work and learning how to live honestly has been difficult but it's changed my life and given me a new life I never thought I could have. I hope you stick around and ask any questions you may have about sobriety. It's a lot of effort but worth it!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh boy, I felt terrible and the anxiety, holy crap! I uses to wake up, let the brain take a second, then realize, yup, hungover again and flop back to my pillow in disappointment and pain. I am still not used to NOT being hungover, so I wake up, let everything register and say, yup, I'm good!!!! What a feeling! Hang in there!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Frankynstein View Post
First of all I would like to greet everyone a Happy independence day! Greetings to those who find their freedom from addiction. Please to meet everyone.

Being within a family of drinkers is hard for me to resist alcohol. I want to go out from this dilemma. Is any of you get a depression after drinking? Its always become my problem. i wanna stop now, but i dont i think i can. I'm so mess up.
Well of course you get depression! Alcohol being a depressant, it's effects last long after you stop drinking. Of course, you can stop. The only thing you have to do is not take that first drink. How you do that has to be planned. Read these forums, go see your doctor, make a plan, follow your plan.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I read a book by Dr. Olivier Ameisen called "The End of My Addiction" and his use of Baclofen to treat his alcoholism. I got the prescription from my doctor 2 months ago and it is like a miracle.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I read a book by Dr. Olivier Ameisen called "The End of My Addiction" and his use of Baclofen to treat his alcoholism. I got the prescription from my doctor 2 months ago and it is like a miracle.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking I was amazed at how much of my anxiety and depression were the alcohol, not me. Even being prone to depression and anxiety, it doesn't control me as long as I don't drink. Being around family that drink would be hard but there are no easy answers. You have to want it and be selfish about it, to the point of distancing yourself from family or friends that don't support your sobriety. You can do it!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Hey Frankynstein, Welcome to the Forum!!

Yeap, alcohol affected my mood when I drank it, I would become very depressed and negative about life, it was one of the many issues that I sorted out by quitting alcohol.

Everyone has it within them to quit, it's not beyond any of us, you just need to make the decision and with the right support and direction you'll get there!!

Great to have you on board!!
Thank you for the welcoming greetings! I want this depression out of my life. I'm deciding to change. Your support is important to me. Thanks
Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Welcome to SR.

Independence Day is a great day to declare your independence from alcohol. You can do this!

Best of Luck on Your Journey!

I realize that I had to celebrate Independence Day with a different aspect. I didnt drink. I think its a good start.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Welcome to SR, Frankynstein! Being a sober alcoholic in a family of drinkers is rough. I only see my family a couple of times a year but when I do, it's usually a holiday and some alcohol is around. I've found that I have to concentrate on me and my relationship with alcohol. Most of my family members seem to be able drink alcohol and the worst thing that happens to them is that they may feel a little off the next morning. I can honestly say that I have never seen either of my parents hung over or severely drunk where I seem to always get severely drunk when I drink.

I can not enjoy drinking anymore. I might feel good for a very short amount of time but I always end up very depressed, even if I don't get wasted. I am so much happier sober. It's not easy all the time but it's a lot easier than living with drinking the way I drink. I was a terrible drunk and I never thought I could get sober and actually be happy. It's been a lot of work and learning how to live honestly has been difficult but it's changed my life and given me a new life I never thought I could have. I hope you stick around and ask any questions you may have about sobriety. It's a lot of effort but worth it!

Yes and its hard to say no whenever they had a drink. This depression is not helping me. Its like the world is against me. When you stop what did you do to resist the cravings? Did you take some anti-depression? I want to get there and be happier.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJ43 View Post
Oh boy, I felt terrible and the anxiety, holy crap! I uses to wake up, let the brain take a second, then realize, yup, hungover again and flop back to my pillow in disappointment and pain. I am still not used to NOT being hungover, so I wake up, let everything register and say, yup, I'm good!!!! What a feeling! Hang in there!
It is a one hell situation and this depression gets me on trouble. I can almost feel the feeling.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Well of course you get depression! Alcohol being a depressant, it's effects last long after you stop drinking. Of course, you can stop. The only thing you have to do is not take that first drink. How you do that has to be planned. Read these forums, go see your doctor, make a plan, follow your plan.
I'd take my first step now and decided to change my life but i wish my family will stop their drinking habits too. Making a plan but changing my environment will be hard.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teresac8 View Post
I might look for that book. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tiptree View Post
When I stopped drinking I was amazed at how much of my anxiety and depression were the alcohol, not me. Even being prone to depression and anxiety, it doesn't control me as long as I don't drink. Being around family that drink would be hard but there are no easy answers. You have to want it and be selfish about it, to the point of distancing yourself from family or friends that don't support your sobriety. You can do it!

Last time saying no to them gives me a hard time. They have find me strange and laugh at me when i said i wont drink. I need to keep more determination for myself. Oh wish me luck on this.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bit late, but welcome to SR Frankynstein

I had to remove myself from drinkers for a while - for me that included my family. Is that an option for you?

D
Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Bit late, but welcome to SR Frankynstein

I had to remove myself from drinkers for a while - for me that included my family. Is that an option for you?

D
Thank you. I guess because I think I cant get support on them.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am more depressed before the drinking. As for after the drinking, I am more mad than depressed.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aborkie View Post
I am more depressed before the drinking. As for after the drinking, I am more mad than depressed.

Maybe we all thought that drinking will be an easy escape to our feelings and problems. It doesnt. It gives us hangovers and worse feelings.