Notices

Yet ANOTHER failure... good lord.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Myrrryah,

you might take a look at AVRT. It's helped me so much. Rational Recovery is what helped me get a better grip.

This might help http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html

love from Lenina
Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find something that works to keep you sober. The relapsing cycle is hard to take and very depressing.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some really great advice here Myrrrah

In the end I accepted I could be the person I wanted to be...or I could drink - but not both....

If you can embrace that truth, I think you'll have a solid foundation for recovery
D
Old 07-03-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
I’ve had so many 30 day and 24 hour chips and I’ve never made it past a couple of months sober. It's like being in a relationship with someone who keeps hurting you over and over again, eventually you just need to give up on it. That's how I feel about trying to get sober. Does that even make sense?!?
It does make sense, but the relationship that's burning you is the one you have with alcohol. It takes a while to accept that the relationship will never change, will never be what it was when you first met. When you accept that without reservation, you have a shot at it.

Personally, I had to contemplate suicide as the alternative to not drinking to make the leap. It's not necessary to go that far down the drain, it's only necessary to honestly accept that drinking is a battle we lost a long time ago and commit every single day to the alternative. I have four years, and it's something I need to consciously do almost on a daily basis. That doesn't make me a failure - it makes me a realist.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Boy do I relate to your post! If I didn't know better I would have thought that "I" wrote it! After bouncing in and out of the rooms of AA for several years and getting a million 30 day coins it wasn't until until 2008 when I ended up
in jail for a DUI that I got sober. I was sober for almost 6 years.

Unfortunately I decided to "test the waters" again last fall and am getting back on my feet now. I did it once....I can do it again! This time I am doing Rational Recovery, SR and exercise. AA works for many people but it's not for me. I used it for the first year or so (court ordered) of my 6 years but then stopped. BUT...it does work for some people.

You CAN do this!!! If I can do it...you can! Don't give up! Message me anytime you need extra support!!!

image-3446360751.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-03-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobercalmwishes View Post
I believe there is a psychological aspect to how that program is worked that makes you feel like an utter failure if you drink 3 days out of (what did you say? 5 weeks? 7 x 5 = 35) days? Celebrate your 35 days, and jump back in!! You did great!!
I couldn't agree more! There are many flaws in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous which is why experts agree that it only has a 5% success rate. It DOES work for some people...but other methods have a better success rate for other people. You will find what works for you! Best wishes!!! I think one thing that is good about AA is it can be a nice "support group".

image-2436671183.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-04-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

All i know is that AA has worked for me where rehab and willpower failed. Part of it is definitely that AA strongly encourages a person to build a sober support group. When all else fails to pull me out of spiraling depression and self centeredness, work with another alcoholic does the job. I can't just read the big book and go to meetings. I have to be active in my program in all aspects of my life. I guess it's that psychic change i keep hearing about.

All i know is that this time, my whole concept of sobriety is different. I feel unsettled if i start to lapse back into my old ways, even a little bit. Today, i was curt with my husband over the phone and i was really angry with him. Part of me really, really wanted to continue to argument when he got home. I had a scheduled meeting with my sponsor and we went to the women's group i always attend and someone said that if they weren't being grateful they were being hateful. Damnit. My anger dropped away from me and i saw my part in the argument. The first thing i did when i got home was apologize to my husband. I've done that before but this time, i didn't apologize and remind him that he was wrong too. He knows his part in it. This time, i just said that i was sorry for my foul attitude. I didn't try to pry an apology from him as well. It felt so good to let my anger go. I don't know how i would have reacted to him had i not been taught by AA to see the role i play in what distresses me in my life. I feel like i have some measure of control over my emotions, something i've never felt before.

AA isn't perfect but nothing is. For me, it's a large piece of my sobriety. I think it's because the program has encouraged this monumental shift in my attitude and thoughts that AA is working for me. A woman even said it today, take what you need and leave the rest. If certain aspects of the program don't work for you, leave them. Just be sure to be honest with yourself as to your motives for leaving them. Be sure it's because they don't work and not because you don't think they can work or don't want them to work. Honesty with yourself is one of the absolute musts of sobriety.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
Thanks anew. At least I'm not the only one.
If I may weigh in, I think it is safe to say we ALL have our switches. It must be about avoiding what "turns us on"...in order to manage those urges. Not always easy.

One mistake doesn't mess you up forever...just keep trying. That's all any of us can do! Hang in there!