Notices

My first AA meeting

Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first AA meeting

I have decided to attend an AA meeting for the first time after a week without drinking. I've been struggling to find things to do in the evening and feel I'm isolating myself. Having looked on the net there seems to be different types of meeting taking place in several towns nearby. (big book study, Serenity, Living sober, Multi meeting). I guess my question is which one is best for beginners? Or does it not really matter? I see quite a few take place during the day which rules it out for me due to work so I'd probably only be able to make one or two a week. Is it best to stick to the same group or try a few different ones? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a bit nervous bout giving it a try. Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have a Big Book? Hit any of those you listed and see how it is. I'm sure you will be welcomed and someone will come forward to answer any questions you have.

I would try to hit as many as I could. And remember, hitting that first meeting was a big step for all of us, and certainly not without trepidation and angst, but worth it. (And the angst was for naught).

Reading and posting here helps a lot. And maybe there is an AA hotline in your area that could steer you to a meeting for newcomers. Heck, they might even offer you a ride.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Memphis, I've found a number on the internet for the national helpline which I'll ring today and go from there. Just the thought of walking into a room full of strangers is a bit daunting but I guess I'll get nowhere if I don't at least try.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on a week!!!
That's a tough week and you've done it...
Great that you are planning a meeting.
This damned illness wants us alone, curtains drawn, sad songs and thinking........
Then drinking..
But your'e not gonna let it.
All meetings are good and as many as you can to start.
Thy are all different.
Just go with an open mind, ready to find out how to stay sober and focus on the similarities not the differences.
Be sure of a warm welcome, a decent cuppa and a bunch of people who will understand you if you'll let them in.
You are no longer alone Owington. G
Old 07-02-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by owington View Post
Thanks Memphis, I've found a number on the internet for the national helpline which I'll ring today and go from there. Just the thought of walking into a room full of strangers is a bit daunting but I guess I'll get nowhere if I don't at least try.
You do not have to go alone. Many cities have an AA intergroup. You can call them and see if someone can take you.

That is what I did. A lady picked me up, took me to the meeting and took me home.

Just an option you may not be aware of.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job on the week! I don't use AA, but I hope you can make it work for you!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

GracieLou has a great idea! Go with someone to a meeting they enjoy that way, you'll be able to meet people without just having to jump in.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here in Baton Rouge we have many meetings
to go to. In early recovery I got my little meeting
book and sought out all of them that were easy
to get to and times centered around my little
family.

As a mom and wife I would go to mostly noon
meetings while kids were in school and could
be available to them for afternoon activities
and supper. After everyone was taken care of
Id make a 7pm meeting where I could be back
home for night tv.

Then incorporated weekend meetings with
step and Big Book meetings bringing my own
book to underline important facts that many
of the "old-timers" would quote. Making notes
all along the way.

Over time, I cover many meetings seeing
a lot of familiar faces. It took a long time
to eventually feel comfortable talking to
any of them, but with bringing my plate
of goodies to each meeting as my way of
service work, it allowed folks to thank me
and ask me simple questions I was familiar
with. Like cooking and family.

Before I moved to Houston at 7 yrs sobriety
I had finally found my AA family and support
in recovery. To start over in another city
was hard for me. So, I found online recovery
as another useful tool to use in my own
program. It became my lifeline in recovery
which I still use today.

I did whatever I needed to do to stay
connected to AA no matter what.

SR has become my AA support for some
time now and Im so grateful for this community
and fellowship to help me remain sober and
grounded in recovery for 23 yrs now.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. I'm ashamed to say I still have the number on a scrap of paper in my van but am yet to call. I do struggle with the idea of being introduced to a group that's already established and being the 'new lad'. Maybe sounds daft, but I've always used alcohol to ease such situations in the past. I even get edgy at work meetings where I know everyone. Probably sounds like I'm just making excuses and I guess I am. I'm hoping the feelings of depression and loneliness I've been feeling will subside and give me the confidence to go ahead with it.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck to you! I don't go to AA but a I hope it helps you! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-04-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Probably sounds like I'm just making excuses and I guess I am. I'm hoping the feelings of depression and loneliness I've been feeling will subside and give me the confidence to go ahead with it.
Owington, I'm from the "other side of the fence", the wife of an alcoholic, who attends Alanon. We Alanon folks go thru all the same stuff about going to our first meeting as you AA's do about going to yours, so I hope you'll find some help in my post to you.

You say in your last post that you want your feelings of depression and loneliness to subside so you can go to a meeting. I think you've got it backwards, though--this is like saying you hope you feel better so you can make it in to see the doctor! The whole point of the meeting is exactly that, to lift your loneliness and depression, and I surely found that Alanon did that for me.

Please don't worry about being new and joining an "established group"--believe me, you WANT a group that's been around for a while. Just like at SR, it's the folks who've been around for a while who will have ESH (experience, strength and hope) to offer. Again, like SR, AA and Alanon groups will have people who've been there for years upon years, people who just started going yesterday, and the whole range in between. You'll fit right in.

Just get to that first meeting. Take that step, and your path will start to get so much clearer. And if by some chance you feel there is nothing there for you, even after trying a few meetings? Well, you're always free to stop going and try something else. But I'd surely recommend trying AA out first. Otherwise, you'll never know....

This is a post about Alanon, but if you substitute AA for Alanon in the wording, it works out about the same. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...n-honesty.html
Old 07-04-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your reply, I've been helped by a member on here via private message that I can't thank enough. I've just made a call to AA UK and after speaking to said member, he has cleared a lot of my doubts so I'm going to go through with it. Wish me luck SR friends, makes such a difference knowing there is others out there who have or are going through this thing.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Feel I should give him credt, Mick3580, cheers mate
Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better about it. The main thing is to do whatever you have to do for your recovery.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck, Owington! I hope you find a meeting you like. I've been told it's best to try out a few to find the one you prefer.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Feel I should give him credt, Mick3580, cheers mate
It helps me to help you. But thank you. We are all here to support you on your journey.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Well, I finally made it to a group meeting last night. It wasn't AA, it was a program called SMART recovery but was a huge step for me. So now I'm on day 6, feeling positive and looking forward to going back. The people were really friendly and I finally felt like I found some people who could relate to what I am going through. Thanks to everyone on here for your support and those who have messaged me with information and guidance. Looks like I'm here to stay this time.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good stuff! I am glad you are finding something that helps and a connection to others. I found that being with people just like me was invaluable to my recovery.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just the thought of walking into a room full of strangers is a bit daunting
Well, that's how most of us get there...alone. It's how I did. I just started attending meetings myself and am still very much in "assessment" mode. Like you, I need to get out in the evenings as I have too much empty space in my hands right now. It gets me out of the house, shaking hands, making eye contact, hearing people....even ones I don't want to (on SR..I can easily ignore or click out of a thread or post).

Now here's a wierd thing...without SR, I'm not sure I could do AA. I want to remain "open". I want to be able to add whatever tools or support I need to stay sober.

In the past week or so I have been to some good meetings..but the other night? I left in a pretty dark and depressed state of mind. Thankfully I logged into SR when I got home...and some SR pals made me laugh. I was able to switch channels in my brain.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 6!! Keep pushing through!!