Notices

Anyone trying to stay sober while on Benzos?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone trying to stay sober while on Benzos?

Hi all!

It dawned on me today that I relapsed (after almost 6 years of sobriety) shortly after my doctor prescribed me Klonopin (aka Clonazepam) a benzodiazepine for severe anxiety & panic (which I have battled my entire life). I did a little research tonite & it seems that this medication can cause severe cravings for alcohol. It makes me wonder if my relapse & inability to stay sober for more than a few days at a time since my relapse last fall have anything to do with this???

Any experience or knowledge on this? Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-01-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anyone? :-(

Old 07-01-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Sounds like something you should be asking your doctor.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would agree, make sure your doctor is aware. Did you share your addiction history with him before getting the prescription?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I would agree, make sure your doctor is aware. Did you share your addiction history with him before getting the prescription?
Yes my doctor knows everything. I've been completely honest with him the entire time. I have an appt with him in a few weeks for a physical. In the mean time I will stay off the booze! Thx guys!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I only used that type of medication to help me "come down" from alcohol. Of course the two should not be mixed...
Old 07-01-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can tell you what I have been told. I got clean off of almost 10 years of Klonopin when I got sober last summer. The addictions therapist I worked with was pretty adamant about the fact that benzos and alcohol were very similar.

I know you have been advised to talk to your doctor, but in my opinion there is a parallel between the two. But, I know people who I consider very sober who used benzos as directed. It is pretty easy to find info re this on the internet, but I would definitely speak to your doctor. Also, benzo withdrawal is as serious as alcohol withdrawal, it is not something you should do on your own.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

You commented in your other thread that you've been looking for someone or something to blame for your relapse after six years of sobriety.

I'm not familiar with studies that demonstrate a correlation between benzodiazepine use and alcohol cravings, but either way, I wouldn't give too much weight to this being a primary cause for your relapse. If nothing else, your conclusion pole vaults over potential personal issues that need your attention and that may have contributed to your desire to resume drinking.

On a purely informational note, benzodiazepines were never intended for anything more than short-term use -- say two-to-four weeks -- in part because they are extremely addictive.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I can tell you what I have been told. I got clean off of almost 10 years of Klonopin when I got sober last summer. The addictions therapist I worked with was pretty adamant about the fact that benzos and alcohol were very similar. I know you have been advised to talk to your doctor, but in my opinion there is a parallel between the two. But, I know people who I consider very sober who used benzos as directed. It is pretty easy to find info re this on the internet, but I would definitely speak to your doctor.
Thanks Jaynie! I think I am caught in a vicious cycle because alcohol makes the Klonopin stronger and Klonopin makes the alcohol stronger. I know that if I don't get this under control I will die at a very young age. I have a husband, 3 children, family, friends, a puppy, a kitty.....I don't want to die. :-( I watched my very good friend drink herself to death last fall & it was one of the saddest things I have ever watched. She just couldn't stop! She left behind 4 small children. :-( I know she would kick my ass if I followed in her footsteps.

I personally believe that the Klonopin is making it much harder to stay sober. I need to stay away from alcohol, then taper off the Klonopin under my doctors care. I know it's gonna be hell, but I HAVE to do it! I never have to go thru it again if I don't want to.

Thx & best wishes!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's hard to tell. In my experience, I found Klonopin to be highly addictive and make me crave more of a buzz. Defiantly ask your doctor.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
You commented in your other thread that you've been looking for someone or something to blame for your relapse after six years of sobriety. I'm not familiar with studies that demonstrate a correlation between benzodiazepine use and alcohol cravings, but either way, I wouldn't give too much weight to this being a primary cause for your relapse. If nothing else, your conclusion pole vaults over potential personal issues that need your attention and that may have contributed to your desire to resume drinking. On a purely informational note, benzodiazepines were never intended for anything more than short-term use -- say two-to-four weeks -- in part because they are extremely addictive.
Your right EndGame! I am so all over the place right now it's not even funny...playing the blame game! Well, my head my not be clear, but I'm sober! If nothing else other than driving you all crazy....I'm sober! Haha

Old 07-01-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I won't make a comment on taking benzos, I have no experience of taking them, my Mother mixed them with alcohol and like endgame said, I understood their purpose to be for short term use only, for shock/trauma etc as they are exceptionally addictive.

My question would be though, you said you started taking them for anxiety initially? Isn't it more that you are drinking to self medicate THAT problem, along with benzos?

I'm sorry, mixing alcohol into benzos and making a cocktail, then blaming benzos doesn't make sense when you were already suffering from anxiety.

In other threads, you mention your relapse as you thought it was OK to drink after 6 years.

Do you think, deep down in the honesty pit, that you actually have been wanting to drink WAY before the benzos? Then danced with the benzos...."cos at least it wasn't booze"....then thought to hell with it, I really just wanted a drink anyway?

Not sure...but until you get super honest about why you took benzos and then drank and what happened in the lead up, way before that....can you then avoid problems in the future.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh, I see by the time I posted my above post, you had responded 10 mins before.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are you still using benzos?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Benzos=booze in a pill.

worst withdrawal i ever had.

I don't know how you can take benzos and claim to be "sober"
Old 07-02-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I took Klonopin for years. Never wanted to take more than prescribed. My mom is 81 years old and has took Ativan 2mg four times a day for the last 50 yrs. She ran out a few days before she could get her script refilled and it wasn't a pretty site.

If it had been something that was a stimulant I was prescribed, I couldn't say I wouldn't have abused them. I've had many addictions throughout my life. Just never benzos. In a way that's odd to me.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Personally I have been on 1 mg of Klonapin a day for 15 years for anxiety along with an SSRI for OCD. I was able to ween myself off of the Klonapin at one point but eventually started taking it again due to anxiety. So I have been taking my meds with alcohol for 15 years, and by some miracle my blood tests after 2 weeks sober from alcohol, marijuana, and 2 months clean from cocaine (at the time) came back not only good but great. Go figure, I used it as an excuse to start drinking again...

I'm not minimizing the effects of the drug, or the use of the drug with alcohol by any means. If you think you have an issue with the two talk to a doc. Good luck.

btw.. over 25 months clean from cocaine now.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I won't make a comment on taking benzos, I have no experience of taking them, my Mother mixed them with alcohol and like endgame said, I understood their purpose to be for short term use only, for shock/trauma etc as they are exceptionally addictive. My question would be though, you said you started taking them for anxiety initially? Isn't it more that you are drinking to self medicate THAT problem, along with benzos? I'm sorry, mixing alcohol into benzos and making a cocktail, then blaming benzos doesn't make sense when you were already suffering from anxiety. In other threads, you mention your relapse as you thought it was OK to drink after 6 years. Do you think, deep down in the honesty pit, that you actually have been wanting to drink WAY before the benzos? Then danced with the benzos...."cos at least it wasn't booze"....then thought to hell with it, I really just wanted a drink anyway? Not sure...but until you get super honest about why you took benzos and then drank and what happened in the lead up, way before that....can you then avoid problems in the future.
Very true Croissant. Thanks for your honesty. I mentioned earlier that I think I have just been looking for someone or some thing to blame. I think your right...I don't think I ever really wanted to be sober. I think I doubted I was really even an alcoholic that entire 6 years! I was just scared from my DUI! Fear kept me dry for a long time! Now I KNOW I'm an alcoholic. Time to get honest!!! Thx for the reality check!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Benzos=booze in a pill. worst withdrawal i ever had. I don't know how you can take benzos and claim to be "sober"
Well first of all, I don't claim to be sober. Haha. But secondly, my doctor, therapist AND psychiatrist all recommended that I start taking Klonopin last year because of my severe panic and anxiety. I am on an SSRI but it wasn't enough. They all know I'm an alcoholic and I don't abuse it. BUT...drinking on it is a NO NO! When they prescribed it, I had 5 years of sobriety! If I didn't they wouldn't have prescribed it. That being said...I'm talking to my doctor when I see him in a few weeks and telling him everything. In the mean time...I need to stay sober.

Some people NEED other meds. Without Klonopin, my panic attacks were so bad I couldn't get out of bed. And that was after 5 years of sobriety!

So right now....I am NOT claiming to be sober. Right now I am in the fight of my life!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mixing booze and benzos is perfect..........if you want to die like a rock star! It is not a pleasant way to go.

Please don't mix them. This said, from what I understand benzos affect the same neural pathways as alcohol. That is why they are so effective at treating anxiety. However, as another poster stated they are NOT designed for long term use UNLESS a physician has determined that the benefit to the patient outweighs the risks and side effects that come with long term use: mainly physical dependence, cognitive impairment and blowback depression.

There is a difference between physical dependence and ADDICTION. This distinction is often blurry in people who have problems with alcohol.

In this situation, perception may be everything. If you THINK that the clonazepam is negatively affecting you or hindering your ability to stay sober than IT IS! Share this with your doctor and taper off of it under his supervision.

Rooting for you!