Notices

stop or die

Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If you decide to get treatment for your HepC (it is a pharmaceutical treatment) - insurance may deny treatment if you are still drinking - I know that happened to someone I know. It's expensive, too - something like $45,000; so you're probably going to want insurance to cover it.

The more you drink with HepC the quicker your liver progresses through the cirrhosis. You also cannot be eligible for a liver transplant if you are actively drinking. They don't waste the few available livers on active drinkers.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

How will the people in your household be affected when you die? maybe you need to live elsewhere? I'm really worried for you. You dont have to die, you just have to stop drinking.

Love from Lenina
Old 07-02-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

do you have kids? a partner? a mom, dad, uncles, nephews? have you considered what your death will be like for them, especially since you could have prevented it???

my mother was given the "drink again and die" diagnosis when she was 57.
she drank again.
she died.
i got to watch the whole thing unfold, til she was in a convelescent center, in a coma, with her belly swollen like she was going to give birth to quintuplets, skin orange, writhing in pain, doped to the gills on morphine. i held her hand as she drew her very last breath on earth. no goodbyes, no i love you's, no i'm sorry's. nothing. just.........gone.

she wouldn't quit. she didn't even try. not for herself. not for me, her only child, which to this day still stings like i just wasn't good enough or worth it, not for my daughter, her only grandchild. chose BOOZE over us. over life.

do you wanna be that guy?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

CRhoads, happy to hear about your choice. Best wishes to you. Stay strong.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If not AA or death. Then what?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I read all of your comments. Thank you for all the input. I retread my post and feel stupid. Life isn't over I just have to make one adjustment, granted a difficult one, but I feel more positive today...I feel hopeful and I spoke to my partner and they're fully supportive and willing to not drink. I would never be able to stop if there is booze in the house. I know life would be better sober I just need to get there.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Congratulations to you and much respect for your partner for supporting you.

Glad you decided to live.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You CAN do this. I posted earlier about being in liver failure and having alcoholic hep. I now have 16 days sober. Be prepared for some different mental and thought stages you will be going through if you're a lifelong drinker like me.

I was so angry on day 8 that no one could get near me nor did I want anyone near me. I isolated and kept to my bed. The thought of never, ever, drinking again pissed me off. I know people who drank like me and they didn't have any health issues. Why me? Why couldn't I have my vodka?

Then it hit me again. I was going to die if I drank again. No question on that. I got up and starting trying to live without the alcohol. It's been hard. Driving, going to the grocery store, simple things that I had always done buzzed or drunk. Wow was it different.

I started noticing things I had never registered before. Like walking normally and not having to hang on to a grocery cart to walk. I was calmer and actually had a little fun because I could pay attention to what I was buying. I didn't have to turn my head away from the checker so she wouldn't smell my breath.

It's the little things..Today I feel awesome. Happy, confident in my sobriety, and am no longer peeing orange and brown. My liver is repairing itself. I drink a lot of water and Gatorade (to fix my electrolytes per doctor's orders) and am eating better and healthier. I cook now and EAT, which I didn't do before because all alcoholics know that eating interferes with drinking and getting that buzz. My past breakfast, lunch and dinner was vodka. 24/7. NO MORE. I FEEL so much better.

I went to a ballgame and was able to sit through all 9 innings without having to sneak in a Sprite bottle filled with vodka.
I'm writing this from my heart. If I can quit, you can quit. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel I promise. I'm proud of you Change4Life.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am on day 2 drinking water, juice and powerade. Laying in bed watching movies till I can wake up tomorrow and start day 3. Thank you CRhoads I can really relate to your post I never went anywhere without sneaking in booze and I wasnt eating for the exact reason you said I didnt want to ruin the buzz
Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 2 B

D
Old 07-12-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

We are two peas in a pod haha. You can do this, I know you can. Keep drinking those and it will help flush out the icky. I actually could smell alcohol days later coming out of my pores..your body will thank you. Are you detoxing on your own? Remember if you get bad DT's you can have a seizure. If you start shaking and sweating, vomiting, etc, go to the ER please, ok?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Change4life, so pleased you chose the sober life road.

My friend had hep c, she was given the all clear a few months ago after treatment. She has a new lease of life.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

yes I am detoxing on my own at home. So far I don't feel that bad. this time around I wasnt drinking nearly as much less than half of what iuse to. Right now I am more bugged out that I am running out of fluids other than water and the only store near me I have 2 walk past 2 outdoor bars to get to and the store sells beer so I am left with one tall can of ice tea and then nothing but water. Boring. I don't think I should hit the town on a saturday night with 1 1/2 days sober. I do not trust myself to go straight to store and back. All I need to do is run into one person and I might find myself in trouble. Between the tourists and the town drunks this is a big drinking town and it is easy to find myself in trouble, so I know I need to stay put for now.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

C4L will any of the local food delivery places deliver drinks with their food?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am sure they do, but I don't have $ like that to be ordering out again. I ordered chinese yesterday. I will have to make due. My wallet was left empty I was told I have no need for money tonight, there is food and ice cream. I don,t think it was expected that I would go through so much powerade that fast. I think I just like to drink no matter what it is
Old 07-12-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Change4life, day 2 sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Drank for 42 years and now 4 years 2 days sober. You can do it, everyone is rootin for ya.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two days sober. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am very grateful I made it through today? I hope I sleep better than last night, but it isn't looking that way
Old 07-12-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Way to go, Change4life!! Yeah, I slept soooooo crappy those first few days. Weeks actually, Ugh. But you know what? It's so worth it!! Ironic we feel so physically and emotionally crappy at the exact moment we start doing the very best thing for our physical and emotional health, eh? But yeah, such a small price to pay. Grateful is the perfect word all right.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Do you work Change? I don't, so yeah the sleep thing sucks at first. I had to sleep during the day because I just couldn't at night. By day 5 I started sleeping..really sleeping, not passed out from drinking. I have alcohol induced neuropathy of my feet up to my knees and hands up to my elbows and the med I take did help me to fall asleep because it is a med that calms my nerves down and I mean the nerves that are continually trying to refire from my neuropathy, not nerves from being anxious.
You might try taking something like an allergy med, they will make you sleepy.
You can always PM me if you want to talk. Stay strong YOU CAN DO THIS.