Notices

The more I am on this SR the more I think about drinking...

Old 07-01-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Serinidad hi

I have seen a few people post similar to yours . I've never felt that way myself reading here , but i know people have .

Maybe when the trigger hits switch off , do something else then come back to it .

I've found that the more i read , the stronger my conviction was not to drink .

Mostly because there are no glorified drinking stories , they are all tinged with sadness guilt and despair for many in the early days . Something that never makes me want to go back to a day 1 again l

Good luck , keep fighting the fight xxx its worth it . You deserve it
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Does anyone find that the more they sit around reading the posts on SR and posting the more they think about drinking? Could this foster relapse? What about (at least for me) spending some time exercising or discovering healthy hobbies? I have been on SR ALOT lately and not that it hasn't helped and not that I don't greatly appreciate the people, but I find that the only thing that is on my mind is alcohol b/c that's all I "talk" about on SR. Maybe it's time for a healthy distraction? Thots? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
I still credit SR with my recovery success.

I was thinking of drinking 24/7 anyway - at least on here I could focus that obsession into maybe helpings others.

I gradually moved my focus from drinking to recovery

Like others have said - if you really think it's a problem then setting a daily limit could be a good idea

D
Old 07-02-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

If this site made me want to drink
Then I would stay off the site

For me this site helps me to stay sober
Reminding me of how it was
What happened
And what it is like now sober

Seeing some struggle
So very hard to get and stay sober
Reminds me of why I wish not to relapse

Seeing others find a new life
Filled with joy and love
Proves to me each and every day
That the sober life is the best life

MM
Old 07-05-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I can see what you mean serenadad. I found I used SR a lot more in the early days but I guess as we get stronger we're not as reliant. I still like to check in once in a while. Keeps me grounded and reminds me not to get complacent.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Very much what Alex said. Mind you, your thoughts are not abnormal; I remember in rehab that people typically said something similar after 25-30 days. "Look, we've been talking about nothing else for many weeks now, alcohol here, alcohol there, I just want to move on. Enough already, it's gonna make me want to drink!"

They kindly explained to us - as the fine folks did here - that we were talking recovery, not abuse. Sure, one must build a new life, explore, do new stuff. I learned a new instrument, I dived into the science of nutrition (and lost 34kg in the process). I just mention it because it balances the fact that I still read here and other places every single day, without fail.

They also reminded us that watching paint dry or the Euro soccer cup (some might suggest those are very similar) could potentially be triggers as well; for addicts, anything will do, as you know.

So yeah, branching out, doing new things, finding new passions or revive old ones, it's important too, but reading here, and posting - which helps us being accountable - is working for me and many here.

PS: when my counsellor asked me, after 2 years sober, how often I think about alcohol, I replied without thinking:"almost never". And yet I did say before that how important daily reading, here, and in books, about it is for me. But there is no contradiction; recovery and craving are totally separate in my mind.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

SR has been the support network that has enable my recovery journey to begin. You can choose which posts to read and avoid those that may trigger you. Without SR I would unlikely be sober today and enjoying early recovery.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Serenidad,
Absolutely you should seek out other activities as an outlet, my only suggestion is... just don't let those things become distractions. What I mean is, Yes we all need a break (I should only speak for myself) I need a break from thinking about drinking but I know that when I stop looking at the problem I've lost sight of where it is and when I don't know where it is, it ALWAYS creeps up on me and that might be the last shot I get, I feel like I've been so lucky up to now, I just know that if I go out again I won't come back from it.

Have fun, enjoy your new clarity but the less you look at this addiction, disease, whatever you call it, the more powerful it becomes to your blind eye.

Best of luck, you've got a lot of support here.