Notices

The more I am on this SR the more I think about drinking...

Old 07-01-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Not for me. It's kinda the opposite. Coming here and reading, posting... helps me a lot. I use this site as a place I can come to when I can't get to a meeting and the people here respond quickly... it's very helpful.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know for a long time I would get triggered by going to meetings and thinking about the people there I would have liked to drug with. (I think this was because I did not know any addicts before going to rehab and 12-step meetings.)

One of the things I like about SR is that those thoughts are not ever in my mind here.

But if this site does that to you, maybe you should into other forms of support as well.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Maybe there are stages.
I've been thinking I need to "moderate" my SR time and get back in the real world more.

However, reading and posting here really helps me keep on track for my recovery and part of that is giving back by supporting others.

Since I don't do "face to face" things like AA, this is the one place I can reach out to others with addiction issues.

That said, I am concerned about trading one addiction for another, and am going to start limiting my time so I can get some long-delayed projects in motion, so I get that
it can be a time vortex.

I think overall I have gained so much more than I have given by being here.
Do what fits best for you SD
Old 07-01-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

this site has helped me to fill in hours i would have spare
i fill my days up and dont sit here on the computer for hours on end as that isnt good for me as i can end up putting things off i should be doing just to stay online for another hour or another one
it can be the same pattern i had with drink if i dont watch out and of course i will find a reason for doing it as it means i dont have to do all the others things that i dont want to do : )

so i am off work today i have been around the town and to my son grave and spent time with my kids there
then took them for a bite to eat then home
i have popped on here for about an hour or so then i am off out to an aa meeting where i hope i will find a new comer but if not i am sure i can help someone there today

then it will be back home cup of tea pop on here to check some posts then feet up with a movie and sleep

i need to keep going each day and believe me just a few months ago i was stuck at home doing nothing but curled up in a ball feeling so lost and empty
i found this site and got some drive back in my life and now because i have put that effort it i am now doing it regular again and my pain over my son is still there but not took over my life like it did

again i learned how to do these things thanks to aa and my sponsor and the people in aa with all the little hints and tips and some of the people on this site have been really kind to me as well

so i can see this site as an aid for me in my own recovery so thats a good thing in my book but i can not make it my life as the way i am as a person if i spend 24 / 7 sitting on my computer i am isolating from the world and i say my pc rather than this site as its not the sites fault as its a good site its my fault for the way i am as a person
its either all or nothing

today i have learned all or nothing is unhealthy for me
there is nothing wrong in a few hours a day on my pc just so long as i dont let it take over my life

thats how i work it for me
Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I'm an info junkie for sure.

To me, the internet is a library of undiscovered knowledge. What I have learned on SR has been an invaluable resource to me.

Invaluable.

And if I had to give up a few days, or weeks or months, to garner said knowledge then it was a darn good trade off.

SR saved me MONTHS of hangovers.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I imagine that many people who are in early recovery think about drinking a lot, including those who've never even heard of SR.
Very very true EndGameNYC!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Moderation is good. If you're feeling triggered, what's going on? I mean, I don't think many people here are talking about how great their drinking career was or how much fun they had on their last relapse? Most of the talks here revolve around recovery, not just alcohol. If you're feeling triggered here and think you need to moderate your time on here, then go ahead. Most of us don't spend all day on SR (well, except Dee, lol!). We go out, exercise, work, socialize, have good sober fun, attend meetings, go out for dinner...all kinds of things! What do you think is triggering your feelings?
Good point! You know...I think I am just looking for something to blame! I'm just so angry with myself for relapsing after 6 years and falling back into this hell! I'm just looking for someone or something to blame. I need to stop, accept that I can't change the past and get better. It's just so hard. :-(

Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Serenidad, I think that the best case end-state is one where we live happy fulfilling lives with peace and beauty and joy in them. I don't believe we can do that if our entire persona is all alcohol, all the time. That wasn't healthy while drinking of course, and I don't think it is healthy while sober. I suggest you start doing some things you enjoy doing, that both require and foster mastery. This feeling of a special personal achievement will help you support yourself as you become more secure in your sobriety. It will help you see yourself as Serenidad the cabinet maker, the baker, the candlestick maker, whatever suits your fancy, instead of Serenidad the drunk. Set yourself a goal and go get it! Your prize will be that serenity we all wish for. Best to you.
Sounds like an awesome idea Freshstart! I really want to spend more time exercising & getting in better shape. I love nature. I love cooking. I do have few hobbies besides pouring poison down my throat. I WILL get sober again! Mark my words....and a few good thoughts sent my way wouldn't hurt. ;-)

Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I am triggered by everything. I am triggered by nothing. I'm an alcoholic.
Yes... thank you for putting it into such simple but dead on terms.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Whyme2014 View Post
Hi Serinidad, I've had the opposite reaction. For me it's been an eye opener that there is an entire community out there that relates to me. Do you think something like AA would help you better? I hope you can find something that doesn't trigger you but you are always welcome here. Best wishes!
Thx Whyme, in all honesty...I think I'm just looking for someone or something to blame for my relapse after almost 6 years of sobriety. I need to stop whining & trying to figure out why and get into the solution.

Yes I went to AA (court ordered) for the first 2 yrs or so of my 6 yrs of sobriety. I did not care for it. It works for some....but isn't for me. I've tried going back since my relapse & it just makes things worse for me. :-(

Thx for ur post!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Certain threads in the newcomers area have made me discouraged (early on in a quit). But they have never been a trigger for drinking. And for me at least, the good completely out ways the negative.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Well I've been on this site for a long time. I've read a lot of posts how drinking is destroying their life. I've read countless stories of the family members posting the pain and suffering of watching a loved one destroying their life by drinking. Perhaps, you might want read some more posts and tell me again what makes you want to drink again!
Good point Captain!!! I think I will do that. I probably wouldn't want to drink after reading those stories!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
this site helps me to remember how it was I think healthy hobbies to be of most importance took a 20 mile bicycle ride today around Mission Bay and the boardwalk -- good time had MM
True Mountainbob! The bike ride sounds like a blast! I love biking!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Good point! You know...I think I am just looking for something to blame! I'm just so angry with myself for relapsing after 6 years and falling back into this hell! I'm just looking for someone or something to blame. I need to stop, accept that I can't change the past and get better. It's just so hard. :-(

Hi Serenidad...hope you are having a relatively angst free evening Have you had any really unique circumstances recently that triggered this relapse? Are you still trying to manage the cause of the relapse? Forgive me if you have already written about this. Try not to lose sight that being sober right now and taking steps to maintain sobriety is an ENORMOUS accomplishment for which you need to give yourself credit. You can do this. 6 years sober is fantastic and cannot be undone.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
For me, the time I spend on here is very much about the "problem" of drinking for both myself and others. It keeps me connected to the "problem" of it rather than the drinking itself. I know that I can while away too much time here but for right now...I need to fill the lonely spaces. And it helps with that. I wasn't really doing anything all that productive when I was drinking really. And at this moment, although I am before my laptop, I drove into the city at 9 p.m. so that I may spend tomorrow (which is July 1st Canada Day for me) with a friend. I'm staying at my brother's oceanside apartment in the sky. I know I'm going to wake up early and get a full day in. I'm quite certain I would not be here if still drinking. It would've taken far too much organization as I decided last minute. I would have settled in with a bottle of wine after work...and probably wouldn't have done a damn thing with my tomorrow.
Awesome! I hope you are having fun Nuudawn!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I am definitely one that could be a textbook example for internet and computers addiction. And seriously. I don't care about social media, it's about information and the technology accessible via computers. Honestly, for me, no one has ever criticized my drinking because they have not really seen it mostly, but the attachment to computers is something mostly everyone who gets to know me will comment on. Something I should address sometime, but honestly, not ready yet. For me, SR actually saved me. I used the hell out of it for months, because I had intense alcohol cravings very often (by day and by night, anytime), and when I was on SR it helped me not to act on my cravings.
That gives me hope! Thank you!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

In early recovery I spent virtually all evening after work glued to SR. The evenings were the time I had drunk alcohol so that's when I needed to be occupied. Being on the computer got me into the study instead of the living room and that change of environment triggered a change in my brain, I'd have hot herbal tea and read and learn. I spent some time in the social area each evening and got to know some members, it was a time of tremendous change and learning.

Far from triggering me SR was a vital part of the journey. In time I varied my evening activities, I study online, I knit, I have friends over, I cook, I help moderate at an entirely different forum. SR is my twice a day drop-in point most days, now's my chance to give back.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
In early recovery I spent virtually all evening after work glued to SR. The evenings were the time I had drunk alcohol so that's when I needed to be occupied. Being on the computer got me into the study instead of the living room and that change of environment triggered a change in my brain, I'd have hot herbal tea and read and learn. I spent some time in the social area each evening and got to know some members, it was a time of tremendous change and learning. Far from triggering me SR was a vital part of the journey. In time I varied my evening activities, I study online, I knit, I have friends over, I cook, I help moderate at an entirely different forum. SR is my twice a day drop-in point most days, now's my chance to give back.
Thanks Marcher! Your post gives me hope!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

THANK YOU to everyone who has commented on my topic! You have no idea how much it has helped! I feel hopeful! Without hope I have nothing so thx so much!!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I can't recall who on this thread mentioned it but, moderate your time on here.

Every time, I've been to an AA meeting and a new comer comes crawling thru the door with a deer in the head light look it's a reminder.