Notices

Halt

Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Because water is much better.

Post Halt

As I'm on this site more and more, I keep seeing the HALT acronym. I know it means hungry, angry, lonely, or tired, but what ABOUT being hungry, angry, lonely, or tired? If someone is one of these descriptors or in one of these states, is it more likely that they crave alcohol? What if sometimes I feel like I'm none of these things? I just want a little more info and maybe a few examples.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm new to this too, but my understanding is these are the most common triggers. When you have a craving stop to think if you're either one of those things and have a plan to deal with them other than by drinking. I am currently all THREE - Angry, Lonely, and Tired. :|
Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
If someone is one of these descriptors or in one of these states, is it more likely that they crave alcohol?
That is the basic premise, yes. All of those are basic needs, and left unfulfilled can lead to alcohol cravings. Taking care of yourself is very important.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Going through the checklist at a time of a craving and working out if one aspect is lacking has got me out of jam on a few occasions!!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For many they put us in a situation that can lead us away from healthy actions and reactions.
For example if I’m angry I’m controlling, short tempered argumentive and on and on which can lead down the path of picking up a drink to cool off. With time we learn how to handle things that arise from HALT.

BE WELL
Old 07-01-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Usually when I'm craving it means I'm hungry (seems I'm always hungry) and a snack will snap me out of it. Tired (and/or bored) is another big trigger for me. Early on in my sobriety it was not unusual for me to simply retreat to bed early. I was always grateful the next morning when I awoke, still sober. It gets easier as time goes on but I may still resort to an early bed or some ice cream if I'm having a particularly bad time. Be aware of your feelings and find what works for you!