Notices

Saw a therapist...

Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saw a therapist...

About two years ago, as my drinking was really escalating, and I was feeling sad, hopeless, and stuck...I finally saw a therapist. I told her about my drinking (every day at that point) and we talked everything else as well. She said she thought I was depressed, and prescribed some meds. And this part I remember like it was yesterday...she said "I think you're drinking to self-medicate b/c you're depressed. I don't think you're an alcoholic or anything..." and you know what I did? That day, I left her office around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, stopped at the store directly around the corner from her and bought a magnum of wine (the huge bottles that are equivalent to two) which I polished off that afternoon/evening. It was as if I was given a free pass b/c she was a professional right? Whatever meds she would give me would cure me right up, right??

I was honest with her about my level of drinking, and looking back, I just find it strange that she wasn't able to pinpoint how bad the drinking had become and that it should have been addressed ASAP. Anyone else have this kind of experience?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lola23 thank you so much for this post! I am seeing a therapist this afternoon for the first time.

Are you sober? Are you still seeing her?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NewFighter - Yep, I'm at 20 days today. So I'm new to this whole thing but so far its going well.

I'm not seeing her anymore. To be honest, I didn't like the effects of the depression medication I was taking, and then I just hid inside of the bottle for the next two years instead of finding someone else that might have been a better fit.

Good luck this afternoon. Let me know how it goes.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's weird how she thought that by curing your depression you would be cured of excessive drinking, I guess that may work for moderate drinkers, they may hit the hard stuff a bit more frequently when life gets rough but then go back to normal ways, but not alcoholics.

She probably should have waited to see what the meds did, if you came back and said I've cut my drinking down as a result, then that would have been grounds for her theory, rather than assuming before even trying the meds out!!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's not necessarily a chicken or egg scenario. For me the depression existed long before I started drinking and I am sure that in some ways I was self-medicating. However, alcohol being a depressant it becomes a vicious cycle......you can say you drink because you are depressed but you are exacerbating your depression by drinking.

Any reputable therapist of psychiatrist would tell you that to take antidepressants whilst continuing to drink will render the antidepressants useless. You won't receive any of the benefits while enjoying all of the side-effects. Many therapists are afraid to confront clients about their substance abuse for fear they will never see them again.

The important thing is you have addressed the issue. Once you remove the alcohol you can begin to work on everything else. You have definitely hit on a pervasive issue in mental health.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did some therapy.

I came to the conclusion that I am my own healer.

Every therapist/psychiatrist/doctor has his/her own demons and unless they spend years listening to me (and actually remember what I said last month) they will never really know my issues. I have very little faith in "therapy." It scares me that they will diagnose people in the first one hour session. There may be some indicators toward a certain diagnosis, but unless someone has become very dysfunctional, I think diagnoses are way too frequently doled out without proper investigation. Not only that, but many "disorders" are not well defined even in the DSM. That in itself can be very damaging to the patient.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I suppose it's easy to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to any kind of medical intervention. I'm sure I would consider feeling the same if I had experienced what I thought to be poor or irresponsible treatment. In my case my therapist only suggested I was an alcoholic (he was right, btw) but he laid the groundwork for me in getting sober later. So in my case it worked wonders.

I know plenty of people who have had other misdiagnosed illnesses as well in other areas of healthcare - no doctor or therapist will be right 100% of the time, but does that mean we ask them to stop trying?

I think it's important to remember that therapists are only human, and that while anecdotal incidents, if personally experienced may be enough to keep one out of treatment for a condition, on the whole many reliable and valid studies with very large samples of participants show that some intervention is generally better than no intervention when it comes to addictive illnesses like alcoholism. Truth is addicts (including us alcoholics) are generally a difficult group to treat, and unlike an illness such as cancer, the effectiveness of treatment has a lot to do with the level of commitment by the client or patient receiving care. This isn't to say we can "will" our way out of addiction, but we have to want to get well in some degree - we have to play along to get well.

And after all, the status quo (addiction running unchecked) is not that appealing with 20+ million Americans reporting a substance use problem. With all the related death, injury, crime and domestic problems directly associated with alcoholism, I'll ask the therapists to please continue fighting the good fight. Rather than run from one bad experience we should encourage those of us who have had a bad experience and are considering more help to do what other people do when they encounter a professional they are not compatible with - just move on and find another one.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Lola,

I also have major depressive disorder. I do take an anti-depressant. Boudicca is right. The meds plus drinking just counteract each other and do no good. Just had this conversation with my doctor this morning. I am noticing a huge difference now that I have quit drinking.

The side effects can be hard to deal with at first, but they do go away. Just takes time.

As for your therapist - some are good and some are bad. You have to find someone you trust and are comfortable with. I am on my 3rd one. The first two just weren't a match and I felt like I was going nowhere. I asked my doctor for a referral to someone she thought could help and be a good fit for me. She did, and I love the one I go to now.

Keep trying. Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by Luper; 06-30-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, my X husband is an alcoholic. Despite telling various therapists many of them just are not educated on addiction. It was not until I saw a therapist with a specialty in addiction and families with addiction that I really felt like anyone could truly realize how his alcoholism was affecting our lives. So I really think the key is finding the right person.

My X husband also works in the social work field, you would be surprised to know how many therapists and social workers are alcoholics themselves. Sad, sad.

I wish you all the best of luck!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yea, I should have tried to find a better fit, but I probably wasn't at a point that I was really willing to accept how bad my drinking had gotten and that it would only escalate worse and worse. Now that I have a few weeks under my belt, I'm thinking of looking for another therapist, which is what got me thinking of the last time I went.

The last one definitely did not mention anything about how drinking would totally counter-act the effects of the anti-depressants though, which is what I find curious. She never really even suggested that I should cut back...

I think what most of what you guys said is right -- some are better than others, and just need to find someone I'm comfortable with.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I have alcoholism. The only thing that alcohol does for my alcoholism is to treat it. Isn't that the meaning of self-medicating??
Old 06-30-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

Training in the treatment of addictions has only been a recent development for students in PhD programs in clinical psychology, and there still exists controversy among practitioners. When I was in training, I chose to do an externship at a large, residential alcohol and drug treatment program, having been sober for about seven years at the time. I was warned by more than one of my supervisors that "you can't do psychotherapy with alcoholics/addicts," that alcoholics and addicts "don't respond to treatment," and that my training in this area would only advance my career in the wrong direction. Little did they know that I was a recovering alcoholic, and that I'd been involved in psychoanalysis for years before I started my training, though my alcoholism and my recovery were secondary to working on myself as a person in other areas of my life. I went ahead with my training.

I had gotten sober in AA since the beginning, found a sponsor early on and worked the AA Big Book Twelve Steps, and sponsored a couple of people along the way. I'd built a better and much more meaningful life for myself, and my training as a clinical psychologist was one of the most fulfilling parts of my sober life. It afforded me what became a wonderful career, and opened doors for me that I never even know existed, both personally and professionally.

Back to the OP...Though I learned it's true that an active alcoholic/addict in treatment is never fully or truly present in psychotherapy, certainly not enough to learn anything important about themselves (and I'm sure that there are a few therapists who would argue against this, but that's an entirely different can of worms), I was working with people who were in treatment for their addictions. Many were court-mandated, but all my patients volunteered for psychotherapy; it was not a requirement of their treatment.

Not all therapists are fully trained or informed, and some have good reasons not to label their patients as alcoholics or addicts early on in treatment. The person's concerns about his use of alcohol or drugs and how his use affects his daily living often supersedes hanging a label on, and thus creating an "external frame" on, the way the person thinks of himself. This is a nontrivial matter, and deserves a great deal of thought on the part of the therapist. In many cases, the patient will ideally and at some point make his own determination as to whether or not he is an "alcoholic," but the label itself is often not very useful, and can sometimes inhibit growth in the therapy. All of this needs to be discussed during the process of psychotherapy.

In my own practice -- and this is extremely common among other clinical psychologists in practice -- very few active alcoholics and drug addicts ever even get around to looking for help (traditionally, less than 10% seek ANY kind of treatment), no less enlisting the help of a clinical psychologist, for their problems with alcohol or drugs. The few that do make it to the consulting room rarely stay more than a few sessions. often realizing that -- if they didn't do so during the initial consultation -- they will soon be forced to make a decision between outing themselves and terminating therapy. And there are those in the entire population of potential patients who believe that the therapist will figure it all out on his own.

Sadly, there are also therapists who will take anyone into treatment, and who go out of their way to retain their patients, even when doing so means that, rather than helping, they are adding to the patient's distress by telling the patient what the patient wants to hear, rather than what is helpful.

In the end, it's the patient's responsibility to talk about whatever it is that concerns them. Hiding one's concerns about alcoholism and other addictions will only hurt the patient in the long run, and it's not the therapist's job to tell you what's important to you. Such a phenomenon happens frequently, and such patients reduce their participation to working on themselves to signing a check each week. When this becomes clear to the therapist, it becomes the therapist's responsibility to observe that this is what is going on and then to again decide with the patient what he or she expect from the relationship.

Like the rest of the people in someone's life who "don't understand" them, take them "for granted," or dismiss them for who they are, therapists cannot read minds, and are not responsible for other people's happiness. Among much else, we introduce people to themselves by what we learn from their struggles, by the way they think about themselves, the things they do in their lives, how they engage other people, and how they behave within the very special relationship that is psychotherapy.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Training in the treatment of addictions has only been a recent development for students in PhD programs in clinical psychology, and there still exists controversy among practitioners. When I was in training, I chose to do an externship at a large, residential alcohol and drug treatment program, having been sober for about seven years at the time. I was warned by more than one of my supervisors that "you can't do psychotherapy with alcoholics/addicts," that alcoholics and addicts "don't respond to treatment," and that my training in this area would only advance my career in the wrong direction. Little did they know that I was a recovering alcoholic, and that I'd been involved in psychoanalysis for years before I started my training, though my alcoholism and my recovery were secondary to working on myself as a person in other areas of my life. I went ahead with my training.

I had gotten sober in AA since the beginning, found a sponsor early on and worked the AA Big Book Twelve Steps, and sponsored a couple of people along the way. I'd built a better and much more meaningful life for myself, and my training as a clinical psychologist was one of the most fulfilling parts of my sober life. It afforded me what became a wonderful career, and opened doors for me that I never even know existed, both personally and professionally.

Back to the OP...Though I learned it's true that an active alcoholic/addict in treatment is never fully or truly present in psychotherapy, certainly not enough to learn anything important about themselves (and I'm sure that there are a few therapists who would argue against this, but that's an entirely different can of worms), I was working with people who were in treatment for their addictions. Many were court-mandated, but all my patients volunteered for psychotherapy; it was not a requirement of their treatment.

Not all therapists are fully trained or informed, and some have good reasons not to label their patients as alcoholics or addicts early on in treatment. The person's concerns about his use of alcohol or drugs and how his use affects his daily living often supersedes hanging a label on, and thus creating an "external frame" on, the way the person thinks of himself. This is a nontrivial matter, and deserves a great deal of thought on the part of the therapist. In many cases, the patient will ideally and at some point make his own determination as to whether or not he is an "alcoholic," but the label itself is often not very useful, and can sometimes inhibit growth in the therapy. All of this needs to be discussed during the process of psychotherapy.

In my own practice -- and this is extremely common among other clinical psychologists in practice -- very few active alcoholics and drug addicts ever even get around to looking for help (traditionally, less than 10% seek ANY kind of treatment), no less enlisting the help of a clinical psychologist, for their problems with alcohol or drugs. The few that do make it to the consulting room rarely stay more than a few sessions. often realizing that -- if they didn't do so during the initial consultation -- they will soon be forced to make a decision between outing themselves and terminating therapy. And there are those in the entire population of potential patients who believe that the therapist will figure it all out on his own.

Sadly, there are also therapists who will take anyone into treatment, and who go out of their way to retain their patients, even when doing so means that, rather than helping, they are adding to the patient's distress by telling the patient what the patient wants to hear, rather than what is helpful.

In the end, it's the patient's responsibility to talk about whatever it is that concerns them. Hiding one's concerns about alcoholism and other addictions will only hurt the patient in the long run, and it's not the therapist's job to tell you what's important to you. Such a phenomenon happens frequently, and such patients reduce their participation to working on themselves to signing a check each week. When this becomes clear to the therapist, it becomes the therapist's responsibility to observe that this is what is going on and then to again decide with the patient what he or she expect from the relationship.

Like the rest of the people in someone's life who "don't understand" them, take them "for granted," or dismiss them for who they are, therapists cannot read minds, and are not responsible for other people's happiness. Among much else, we introduce people to themselves by what we learn from their struggles, by the way they think about themselves, the things they do in their lives, how they engage other people, and how they behave within the very special relationship that is psychotherapy.
Thank you very much for a truly insightful look into psychotherapy through the eyes of a practitioner. That it comes from a recovering alcoholic makes it all the more useful. Kudos1
Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

EndgameNYC - thanks for the info, this is really useful.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

Since the issue has come up frequently in a number of previous threads, I'll add that it is all but impossible to work on "core issues" or the "root causes" of one's drinking or drug use while still actively drinking or using, whether alone or with the help of a trained professional. I've never worried myself over such things, but if you're interested in exploring these issues, you need to put down the drink first.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've had the opposite experience. I've been seeing the same therapist for years (I initially went to her to help with my depression) and after some time, she started questioning me about my drinking habits. She really pushed the idea that I needed help and suggested I go to AA and an outpatient treatment center. So I went to one at the beginning of 2012 and continued to drink until this month. Just because she told me I have a problem didn't do anything until *I* decided I wanted to stop.

I agree with others that not every therapist will be a good fit. Good luck finding someone you will work better with!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have found the best professionals are ones in recovery and at the very least find ones who specialize in addiction treatment. Unfortunately there is some very bad advice being dispensed by untrained professionals.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm bipolar and was diagnosed while I was in rehab. I've been off and on sober for a few years now and these are my thoughts on the matter. I have mental health issues. I know this because these manifested in my childhood and around adulthood. When I started drinking, I started normally but then I realized that it could relieve some of my mental suffering so I drank more because more is better, right? I found myself in the grips of my mental illness and hopeless alcoholism. Eventually, my life spiraled out of control enough that I sought help in rehab.

In rehab, I discussed my mental health issues with a psych. I was diagnosed bipolar and put on medication. After some tweaking, I found a combination and dosage of medication that helped. Well, if my bipolar disorder was being treated, I wouldn't have to drink, right? I wish! I found myself drinking as much as I had been before my diagnosis and treatment. I've been steady in my medication for a few years but off and on with my sobriety.

What I've learned is this: alcohol relieved some of symptoms I have related to my mental health disease. My medication does a much better job of that with fewer negative side effects. What my medication does not treat is my alcoholism. Alcohol treats that. Symptoms of my alcoholism include feelings or worthlessness, unusefullness, "justified" anger, jealousy, discontentment, self will run riot and reliance upon my own self to solve all of my perceived problems, to name a few. I am unwilling to be uncomfortable at any time. I cannot understand why anyone would want to associate with me sober since I can't stand myself sober. I find that I cannot drink like a lady because I don't want to. I drink as much as I want, when I want even when I don't want to. Alcohol brings oblivion which is the only way I have to deal with my issues.

Sobriety through AA, fellowship with other alcoholics, acceptance, honesty and being of service. Somehow, working with other sober alcoholics relieves the acute symptoms of my alcoholism. The other treatments relieve the long term effects of my alcoholism. No matter what I do, I will always be a bipolar alcoholic. What I can do is choose which treatment I will accept for my diseases.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
pray for strength

This is so interesting to think about.

Drinking has had so many roles in my life. It has never been a constant except that it was always there and available to me. There was never a point where drinking was the sole focus of discussion with a therapist...in my mind I had much bigger fish to fry.

Many hilarious 'Saturday Night Live' skits could be done based on my experience with therapists. But the fact is all the psych professionals in my life have been really useful. Even the really bad ones. Right now I am a very experienced, goal oriented patient but there was a time when I had NO idea what the whole relationship between practitioner/patient was all about. Errantly I thought all practitioners read the same books, learned the same stuff, had the same crystal balls and came to the same conclusions. Duh. So a few bad relationships dragged out well past their usefulness.

My current therapist, a Licensed Master's Social Worker (LMSW) is fabulous. She actually came highly recommended, A+, on Angie's List, believe it or not. With health practitioners in general I like to go word of mouth, but being new to the area meant I had to find new ways to find support. The way I approached my first appointment was blazing through her office door with my six shooters looking to find a skunk. I did not know what was up and wanted to figure out WTF one hour at a time. Turns out we are compatible.

I love it when practitioners ask 'what are your goals through therapy' or 'what do you hope to achieve'. Compatibility with a therapist is key. When I started working with my current therapist she said after a month of appts. that we needed to 'keep a short leash' on my alcohol consumption. What?? No one had ever said this to me and I had never really questioned my drinking up until that point. A year ago I would never have allowed anyone to question my drinking because I was completely unwilling to give it up. No discussion. It turns out I had an issue with drinking. Surprise!

The role of alcohol has changed with all the changes in my life. Therapy has been woven in there periodically. Even now though, the discussion of drinking is secondary to the other main attractions. But I'm certain for the first time in my life that I cannot drink if I wish to find any peace. Practically speaking, the last 2 months of therapy appointments have not been followed-up with a trip to the local watering hole or Wine shop. This works.

Active addiction appears to be dependent on delusional thinking. That is a challenging reality to face and admit to...but infinitely easier if the goal is to get sober and stay sober, that is.

Therapy works for me. There are ongoing things in my life that just do not have an arena for discussion other than in the therapist's office. But I can truly understand why therapy would not work for everyone.

**Now that I re-read your OP, I do not think I really answered anything but hopefully came close. I tend to do this when I write early in the morning or while keep deprived. I'll just keep it as is and say thanks for giving me the space to write out some thoughts
Old 07-02-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Therapy really didn't help me. After reading what other people have posted I may have been seeing the wrong kind of therapist. Mine was a psychiatrist. He barely said 10 words the whole 15 minutes I would be in there once a month. I would talk and he would be writing on his notepad the whole time,then give me a prescription. I only found out my diagnosis by the informative brochure that was a printout by the pharmacy with meds.

I remember one pharmacy saying that they never knew zyprexa came in as stong of a dosage as 20mg, when I filled the prescription. I couldn't take it without being zombied out. If I were to have drank alcohol while taking it,It would have probably coma toasted me.A lot of anti-depressants can be very dangerous with alcohol. Can't believe they didn't fill you in on that.