Notices

Withdrawals?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals?

I really don't want to be a whiner here (no pun intended) but I am on day 15 and I have had a massive headache every morning coupled with aches all over my body (particularly in my joints). I don't think I'm denying the truth when I say I would be shocked if this is withdrawals? I was drinking 3-4 bottles a week (sometimes 5 if weekend events were involved) could I really be detoxing this much? I'm not a large person (5'5 and 136 pounds) Have any if you had this experience? In spite of my old habit, I stay pretty active (biking, hiking,5K's) but every morning feels like I still downed a bottle the night before and three aspirin doesn't even cut it!

Help! I want to love life again. Any suggestions, experience or encouragement would be ever so appreciated. Of particular interest....how long can I expect this to go on?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bottles of what? beer or liquor?

I'm assuming you mean liquor, 5 bottles is a lot of alcohol over a week, my bottles on average had 28 shots per bottle, so that would be 140 shots a week to put things into perspective, and then how many years was this what the body was used to?

My withdrawals lasted a few weeks to a month before headaches/aches disappeared completely, I was dehydrated which was a big factor too.

It's all gonna take time for the body to adjust!!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

*bottles of Cabernet
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can tell I wasn't a wine drinker lol

The principle is the same though, it's gonna take time, 2 weeks is still early days, the body needs to adjust mentally, physically and emotionally to not having what it has always had, but it will get there.

If you're concerned specifically about anything though it's best checking in with a Dr, just to be safe!!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J2911 View Post
I really don't want to be a whiner here (no pun intended) but I am on day 15 and I have had a massive headache every morning coupled with aches all over my body (particularly in my joints). I don't think I'm denying the truth when I say I would be shocked if this is withdrawals? I was drinking 3-4 bottles a week (sometimes 5 if weekend events were involved) could I really be detoxing this much? I'm not a large person (5'5 and 136 pounds) Have any if you had this experience? In spite of my old habit, I stay pretty active (biking, hiking,5K's) but every morning feels like I still downed a bottle the night before and three aspirin doesn't even cut it!

Help! I want to love life again. Any suggestions, experience or encouragement would be ever so appreciated. Of particular interest....how long can I expect this to go on?
I had excruciating headaches for the first 2-3 weeks. I mean the worst headaches I have ever had......and it didn't matter what OTC med I tried they wouldn't go away. My consumption was higher than yours yet everyone is different. Could definitely be minor withdrawals.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It took a good month or so for my body to physically start feeling any sense of normalcy. Have you been to a doctor to get a checkup by chance?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had rheumatoid arthritis and didn't know it until I quit drinking - booze in a large enough volume is a pain killer. They used get you good and sloshed to pull teeth in the old west.

Time to go see a Dr.