Notices

Time To Change

Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time To Change

Well a big hello to everyone first. I will get straight in to why I'm here I have been a drinker since I was 13-14 I have pretty much drank and been drunk every weekend bar not many weekends since then which is around 20 years there has been a lot of ups and downs times when I drank nearly everyday times when I've drank mornings full weekends and yet after so many years I still cannot control how much I drink. I drink to oblivion every time there is no such thing as a couple of drinks I drink to blackout I say I will change manage 2 week then think its ok to get some alchahol then I'm back to square one. I thought about going meetings but I want to try this community first and see if talking about it with people who know the type of drinker I am and if anyone can relate there experiences in binge drinking like mine. So I hope to make some friends on here something I've never been able to do on a forum so now I guess its pointing in some direction for reading and places to get chatting. But to to be honest I'm I little lost
Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dave! You're definitely not alone here. This place will encourage you to put aside the drink and be the best human being you can be. Post whenever you are tempted to pick up.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Dave, Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support and understanding from people who had a similar drinking history here on SR!!

Great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi. This forum has many that can identify with you. The key to being sober day after day is NOT having the first drink. Simple but not easy because after a short while there seems to be our demon whispering to us that “it wasn’t that bad, you can have one, I deserve a drink, I want to have some fun” and on and on.
I needed to remember that if I didn’t have the first drink I would NOT have to get sober AGAIN.

BE WELL
Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dave, I've been a binge drinker for the last 15 years or so. I know it's not an excuse, but it is sort of a youth culture in this country to go out and get wasted, and I fell for it, albeit a little later than you - I didn't get heavily into binge drinking until I was 17/18. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong as pretty much everyone my age was doing the same thing, until years later when I realised nobody else was still drinking like I was. By then it was too late, I was hooked. Like you, if I ever had 1 drink, I ended up drinking myself into oblivion.

I'm up to day 11 alcohol free and finding this forum very useful, to keep me in line and a place to vent when the cravings start getting too much.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello, and oh boy can I relate.
I drank at your young age, too, and was an alcoholic from the first drink. This went on until I was fifty one.
I drank every way imaginable. Binge, occasional and near the end, every day. And near the end lasted five years. It's like I went to a party and didn't leave for thirty years.
It was bad at the end. Doing shooters of whiskey at 8am just to get the ball rolling.
Needless to say, I was an out of control drunk.

I finally, and this took me a couple of tries, went to AA. There I found people just like me. I didn't know there were.
I drank again, but what I had heard in those rooms never left me. I was a raging alcoholic and I could never drink safely.
I found this place and found support.
After years of suffering the alcoholic hangover, I knew I was beat. Alcohol won. I gave up.
It's been three and a half years sober for me now and life is great.
I wish the same for you, and I hope you find support here or another program like AA.
You're not alone, and best to you.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Davetothep View Post
Well a big hello to everyone first. I will get straight in to why I'm here I have been a drinker since I was 13-14 I have pretty much drank and been drunk every weekend bar not many weekends since then which is around 20 years there has been a lot of ups and downs times when I drank nearly everyday times when I've drank mornings full weekends and yet after so many years I still cannot control how much I drink. I drink to oblivion every time there is no such thing as a couple of drinks I drink to blackout I say I will change manage 2 week then think its ok to get some alchahol then I'm back to square one. I thought about going meetings but I want to try this community first and see if talking about it with people who know the type of drinker I am and if anyone can relate there experiences in binge drinking like mine. So I hope to make some friends on here something I've never been able to do on a forum so now I guess its pointing in some direction for reading and places to get chatting. But to to be honest I'm I little lost
Your story could be mine man. I am 33 and was a binge drinking for about 17 years, although had bouts of daily use as well. I used to think I was the life of the party but eventually I lost a lot of control and my drinking become far darker and more and more solo. You'll find a lot of support here. The biggest thing for people like us is recognizing we can't have that first drink because it leads to a complete binge/blackout and god knows what. Keep posting, you can quit if you put the work in.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,
Welcome to SR,
I only joined last week so I am still finding my feet, reading and starting to recognise people's names, stories etc. I am now 5 months sober and my sole source of recovery has been alcohol forum friends. I find the companionship of sharing with like minded people, people who actually [i]get it[i], coupled with my immediate family was enough for me. Oh yeah, will power and stubbornness helped.
I wish you well on your journey, I have a similar story to yours but time has beaten me. I am uk also but work nights so must cut this short. I will be more than happy to share my experience with you (should you wish) at a future date but mainly just wanted to welcome you for now. You are not alone by any means.
Mark
Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,
Welcome to SR,
I only joined last week so I am still finding my feet, reading and starting to recognise people's names, stories etc. I am now 5 months sober and my sole source of recovery has been alcohol forum friends. I find the companionship of sharing with like minded people, people who actually get it, coupled with my immediate family was enough for me. Oh yeah, will power and stubbornness helped.
I wish you well on your journey, I have a similar story to yours but time has beaten me. I am uk also but work nights so must cut this short. I will be more than happy to share my experience with you (should you wish) at a future date but mainly just wanted to welcome you for now. You are not alone by any means.
Mark
Old 06-30-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

having trouble with my edit, delete. Sorry for the duplicate post.