Notices

Struggling today

Old 06-29-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling today

Hi folks,

I now have 6 days of being sober. Thankfully, other than a wicked case of insomnia, I'm not experiencing any of the other physical difficulties that I know one can experience when stopping drinking. I've been doing well up until today. I'm struggling because today I can hear this voice in my head telling me that I want a drink, that I can handle a drink....just one, which I know is incredibly untrue. I've never been able to have "just one". Understanding that about myself still does not prevent me from wanting to drink anyway. I think I just need to share how I am feeling right now and I remember this being a safe place to do so. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, I really needed to hammer that into myself, the acceptance that I can't have 1 drink, the 1st drink opens the door to a binge and so that door needs to be kept firmly closed.

Shoot down those arguments that your mind seems to be peddling, in the same way if someone said the earth was flat, we would look at them and say "I think you're wrong", the facts are to the contrary.

Hang in there, a craving is simply that, ride it out and it'll pass eventually!!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that reading and posting here really kept that voice at bay Sunneblonde
You can do this!

D
Old 06-29-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work. The secular connections section has some great stuff on AVRT. Dealing with that voice. I read it a lot early on.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement!
Old 06-29-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you posted here, Sunne, instead of drinking. Talking it through really helps.

One of the great things about is that it is open 24/7.!!!! There is always someone here to listen.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sunneblonde - I, too am glad you wrote how you're feeling. It helps take the sting out of it.

Just know that the feelings you're having now will get better. It's still early days for you - even though 6 is wonderful. You'll go through many phases as you get used to your new normal. You're doing great.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep going! I know exactly how you feel, I'm day 7, and even though I know those are lies, and I can't just have 1,and that I'll be right back where I started in 1 short day, the feelings are real. Keep posting here, it helps so much! That is what I have found too.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I am really craving a glass of Chardonnay, but thank goodness there is none in the house and it is much too late to go out and get any. It's been helpful for me to just stay here and read others posts and understand that they are going through similar things.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BrightFuture74

OMG are you in my head, Sunne? I have been watering at the mouth for "just one" glass of chardonnay all day. Came here instead of the liquor store. I hate that voice. It lies. When has "just one" glass ever been enough? Glad you posted.