Notices

Only 2 weeks sober and struggling

Old 07-26-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Only 2 weeks sober and struggling

Hi all. I have been sober for just 2 weeks and finding things incredibly hard. I am 34 with 2 children and my husband left me 2 weeks ago. I feel like giving up already
Old 07-26-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on two weeks sober. Don't give up now! It will get better, I promise.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really hope so and thank you for your kind words :-)
Old 07-26-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sandra!!

Great job on 2 weeks, that's fantastic, you'll find loads of support here on SR, please don't give up, you can be Sober for you and your children!!

You can do this!!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A good friend of mine told me to try a forum and I'm feeling good already. Thank you
Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome, Sandra!
its gotta be tough getting sober, hubby leaving, and 2 youngens. it may be tough now maybe because yer learning how to live sober? if so, as least said, it will get better! it takes T.I.M.E.
I didn't have youngens when I got sober, but I did have my fiancé throw me out the day after my last drunk. it was not a very good feeling. but that's what it took for me to see I needed to do something about my drinking. getting sober wasn't easy. everything was new!! I had no clue how to live without alcohol, but I wanted to learn and that's what I did. it wasn't always easy, but well worth it.

2 weeks.... you say "just 2 weeks." but that is an eternity! I remember some of that and it wasn't easy. but it did get easier just as the ones that went before me said it would.

PLEASE don't let them thoughts of giving up control your actions!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It got to the point I would Black out whilst looking after my children. Sent my boss a load of abuse which I had no recollection of... That was the day my husband left. Luckily my boss has been very supportive but when things get tough I drink and now I don't have that crutch I'm at my wits end! Proving myself to ppl is pressure alone but I also work in a bar so I am surrounded by temptation
Old 07-26-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm only on day5 today, so I may not be the best person to give advice, but we're all in this together at SR. Right now I'm feeling some cravings for wine, even tho it's the last thing I need. Congrats on 2 weeks.
Exercise helps me a lot. Anyway you can fit that into your life? Also, reading these posts on SR forum is a God send.
Good luck to you, Sandrapoos. Your children will thank you one day.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

waking up the next morning after my last drunk my fiancé( welp, actually by then she was my ex but I didn't know it yet) had told me some of the stuff I said and did the day/night before while I was in a blackout. the strange thing that time is I didn't try and deny it or downplay it and I fully believed what she told me. it is one of the reactions I had when I drank.

it may be wise for you to think about seeking employment somewhere other than a bar? im sure you can find employment in a non alcohol environment.
and you don't have to prove anything to anyone but you.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sure I'll get there. I was bought up by 2 alcoholics and have seen them come through it..... Just wishing I had the support from hubby but I guess everyone has their limits. I notice a lot of you are American. ....wow always wanted to visit
Old 07-26-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, sandrapoos. I'm new here too.

Sorry to hear about your husband. I'm thinking of you.

Well done on two weeks.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sandra and welcome

The first few weeks are tough - no doubt about that - Even without the extra stresses you have...but you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here

Good to have you join us!

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-26-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the two weeks. Stay with it. Everyday gets 10 times better than the one before.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Sandra!

It sounds like a tough time for you, but staying sober is the best thing you can do for yourself and your children. We're here for you!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to the forum. You've made a brave move to join, to reach out when you feel yourself struggling. Thats what we are all doing here and it helps. Two weeks is amazing, especially considering the stress and changes you are undergoing. Its easier said than done, but just keep not picking up that first drink! You are doing great!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am on day 11, had a horrible day yesterday. Wanted to get really really drunk like I used to. Realized that it wouldn't make anything better, only worse.

Me drink alcohol almost ruined my life, would have certainly killed me.

I can't picture a situation where drink would be my best option. I may fail to stay sober some day, but it would be just that a failure on my part.

Trust me. Alcohol will not make things better.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Two weeks sober and two weeks since your husband left you is a lot to handle. It's best to just take things one day at a time. Do you have any face to face support (like maybe AA) you can lean on?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome sandra. We're so glad you're here. You are among friends who understand.

I always thought drinking helped make things easier. I relied on it to calm me down - but in the end it just added to my anxiety. It got to the point where every time I had one it led to 10 - then a black out and dangerous behavior. I had to kick it out of my life for good, so I could be safe and sane. You don't need it like you think you do - it just takes time to get used to the 'new normal' of being a sober, healthy person. You can do it! I hope you'll keep reading and posting here - SR helped me stop a life long drinking habit & I never looked back.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support...... Really means a lot to know there's people out there who can help :-)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Sandra

Another Brit here

Welcome to SR.This site has helped me stay sober and I couldn't have done it without the support on here. The first few weeks are rough but it really does get better