SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Driving my parents crazy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/337226-driving-my-parents-crazy.html)

zoomi 06-29-2014 06:58 AM

Driving my parents crazy

I am in a really bad place guys, some of you have seen me post before. But now things are getting bad my parents have had it with me. My mom is fighting cancer and dying my dad is old. I keep showing up drunk and i am killing them much faster. Alcohol just wont let go of me. :(

I don't know what to do. Any one been in the same situation before

zoomi 06-29-2014 07:04 AM

is there something they can read to learn more about addiction

ForgetfulKevin 06-29-2014 07:27 AM

[never mind -- it's not my business]

ReadyAtLast 06-29-2014 07:42 AM

I'm sorry your parents are ill - it must be very difficult.

Rather than looking for something for them to read about addiction maybe look at taking steps to get sober-that is the best gift you can give them or yourself. I know it's hard but it's do-able. Saying alcohol won't let go of you is giving alcohol control. Take control back and take steps to get sober

Tamerua 06-29-2014 07:49 AM

If alcohol won't let go of you, why don't you let go if it? You can do it.

Mountainmanbob 06-29-2014 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by zoomi (Post 4748927)

I keep showing up drunk and i am killing them much faster.

sounds like a good time in which for you to be sober
at least while around your parents

I can assure you that if one of them dies and you have been tormenting them with your drunken behavior

this will cause you much pain for the rest of your life

Mountainmanbob

Colossians 3:20

Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

Exodus 20:12

“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

Ephesians 6:1

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.

Proverbs 1:8

Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching,

PurpleKnight 06-29-2014 08:20 AM

Everyone has the power to change zoomi, the answer is to be Sober for your parents, I spent a long time trying to figure out how to do it, but it can be done!!

What support have you got? what plan are you following? put simply don't drink today and you're on your way to Day 1!! :)

sugarbear1 06-29-2014 08:44 AM

Greater Toronto Area Intergroup

EndGameNYC 06-29-2014 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by zoomi (Post 4748927)
Alcohol just wont let go of me.

For me, it was very much the other way around.

Sounds like you're trying to get your parents to somehow understand and possibly accept your behavior through reading, rather than your focusing on getting sober.

It isn't their job to change in order to accommodate your alcoholism.

adore79 06-29-2014 01:31 PM

i hurt my parents a lot when i was struggling with alcoholism. years later they still dont trust me fully but we are getting along better. best thing for you is obvioulsy, quit. just dont pick up. good luck.

Mentium 06-29-2014 01:39 PM

The alcohol is in the bottle. The 'ism' is in the person. Its an AA cliche but it is true. You can let it go. People have and do by the thousand..and of course some smash on into the end game.

How about trying an AA meeting just to talk over what's going on with people there? You may be a skeptic (I was a big one!) but it has been the best thing I could have done, it turned out!

24hrsAday 11-13-2014 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mentium (Post 4749601)
The alcohol is in the bottle. The 'ism' is in the person. Its an AA cliche but it is true. You can let it go. People have and do by the thousand..and of course some smash on into the end game.

How about trying an AA meeting just to talk over what's going on with people there? You may be a skeptic (I was a big one!) but it has been the best thing I could have done, it turned out!

it sure was for me..