SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/337204-halt-hungry-angry-lonely-tired.html)

JOY1975 06-29-2014 12:29 AM

HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired

M a bit confused about this and how to apply it to my life. Does anyone know more about it?

bookmaven 06-29-2014 12:52 AM

Those are things that can potentially trigger a relapse.

Hungry- Low blood sugar can trigger a craving for alcohol as well as impair good judgement. Proper nutrition may be something one did not pay attention to whilst actively using/drinking.

Angry- don't let your emotions be an excuse for relapse. Got a new job? Celebrate! Got fired?Throw a pity party! But whatever you do, don't drink.

Lonely- Board. Don't isolate yourself. Get out to meetings and make sober friends.

Tired- don't let physical pain be an excuse for relapse.

Dee74 06-29-2014 12:52 AM

Hi Joy :)

It's just an acronym to help us remember that types of situations that might lead us to crave, or think of drinking.

H is pretty easy to fix - eat something - but the others may be a little more tricky :)

If you're tired and you can go for a lie down, do that - if you can't try at least to take a few moments to yourself, maybe get up and walk around, listen to music or goof off a little.

If you're angry or lonely or sad or bored or fed up or whatever...maybe talking to someone about that is a good solution?

Remember that SR is here 24/7 - we're here to help :)

PurpleKnight 06-29-2014 07:56 AM

It's basically a checklist for when a serious craving comes, if one of the 4 areas is lacking then sort it out and the craving may subside. :)

Nuudawn 06-29-2014 08:43 AM

For me, H.A.L.T. has really been helpful. I know that sometimes a craving has popped up as if out of nowhere, but when I have stopped and paused for a moment...
I have been one of those things..hungry, angry, lonely or tired.

If I am any of these things my brain just isn't in neutral and is NOT doing its' best thinking. I can be just plain whiny and childish if I'm tired..or actually if I'm hungry, angry or lonely too : )

I think it's a wonderful tool to help you kind of "check in with yourself" to see what's going on with you.

JOY1975 06-29-2014 11:25 PM

I went to a meeting last night and the chair started off talking anout Hungry, Angry, lonely, tired, i nearly fell off MY chair! Hows that for my HP working for me!

DisplacedGRITS 06-30-2014 12:24 AM

Love that, Joy! I swear, sometimes i just can't believe how spot on some meetings can be. It's eerie, lol.

bookmaven 06-30-2014 02:00 AM

That's your HP for sure! You just set off what a dear friend refers to as my "spidy-sense" lol. Also known as goose bumps, chicken skin, or the shivers. Maybe more but those are the only ones I can think of.

FeelingGreat 06-30-2014 06:23 AM

The hungry and tired really got to me. And thirsty. Looking after them made the early days much easier.