Notices

Still telling the AV "TO GO TO HELL"!!

Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yep, that ole AV(AKA The Beast) steps in and makes you drink.

Hold up your hand. Wiggle your fingers. Now, tell the beast to wiggle your fingers.

You can weaken and beat the beast into submission so that YOU control IT instead of vice versa.

Beast: "It's Saturday morning. I wanna screwdriver!"

You: "Well, you run down to store and get some vodka. I got OJ."
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Exactly, trachemys. Or put your hands in your pockets and see if your AV can take em out. I don't think your AV can figger out how to get just one more drink with your hands in your pockets.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going Julie?

D
Old 07-04-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Was doing really good Dee.....but AV beat me again.....very sad today.....but IT wont get me today at least I know that....just have to get through the day without hating myself to much....

Thankyou for asking .....
Old 07-04-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Your parasitic alcoholic voice is powerless to make you do anything you have decided not to do. It doesn't sound to me as though you have decided to quit drinking yet. I say this because, well, drinking. You don't 'have to' drink because you get to choose not to.

Continuing to drink, is a bad thing for people like us - instead of giving us relief from anxiety and worry about things to come, it causes anxiety. Instead of giving us a break from depressing things in our lives and sadness over things that have already happened, it causes depression. The chemical that is alcohol physically causes these reactions in our bodies if we consume enough of it, and lordy there has been enough. Sitting and staring and weeping at the bottom of larger and larger bottles of cheaper and cheaper bottles of vodka has us stuck in the vortex, circling the drain.

The answer for me was to do the thing I needed to do in the now, in the present. The first thing next, in other words, and for me, that first thing was to never drink in this present moment. My other 'issues', and there were plenty, became easier to deal with once there was no more alcohol, ever. Many of them went away with the alcohol and haven't come back, like the depression and anxiety, the shame and guilt, and loss of self respect.

You can do this, Julie59, you can decide what you must do. You can decide and make your plan about continuing to use alcohol. Are you ready to make that plan?
You are right.....I will concentrate on never drinking "in the present moment" I have done it before and i can do it again ... will do it again.....am doing it again in this present moment.... thankyou
Old 07-07-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It helped me a lot at the very beginning to learn about 'mindfulness', the action of just stopping in my tracks for only a minute. This is to give me time to assess and become aware of my body's reactions first, and then my mind's reactions. I found a good thing to focus on was simply to become aware of breathing and the physical sensations around breathing. Air coming in is cool, air going out is warmer. The chest rises and falls, diaphragm moves up and down, clothing moves against the skin. The person that is me is having a thought about drinking again, it is making him anxious, breathing is shallow, thinking is scattered.

These were all sensations that were happening in that present moment. Once I directed my attention there and I was able to put 'space' around the thought of drinking, that thought lost its ability to compel my actions. Then, I realized that the urge had passed from me through the simple act of my mind.

Urges come and go all by themselves, and when they go, you find yourself as you were, sober.