Notices

I can't get more than 2 weeks

Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't get more than 2 weeks

Is there anyone out there that tried aa church or and meds and still couldn't stop drinking. My drinking became progressive andprogressive since I had weightloss surgery 14 years ago. I have gotten my life into a mess but after all the problems drinking has caused I can't seem to stop. I get about 2 weeks clean and then I pick up for about a week , of course something bad happens and my mom and son r hurt and disapointed. I ve been to rehab 9times in 14 years. In out aa, job friends family losses and on 2nd dui currently. Has any one struggled this hard to try to stay stopped drinking?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mistory

I tried for 15 years to stop.

Please don't give up - I hope maybe the community here at SR will be an aid in helping you find your way

D
Old 06-27-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read James Frey a million pieces
Old 06-27-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Mistory.

Don't worry, I couldn't even stay stopped for a day for at least 3 years, so 2 weeks is great.

But when I did stop, I woke up one day and I'd had enough, and since then, I have learned you have to fight hard at times for your sobriety. You can't just let the AV keep on and on at you til you give in....at some point, you have to be prepared to fight for you.

Good luck, and hoping that you will find a way to stay sober soon.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like your dealing with a lot of stuff. I too have struggled with not drinking, so I can relate. The best I can say is stick with AA, and of course, stick with SR. If you want to PM, me let me know. Maybe I can be of help.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thx I don't want to give up, but repeating failure over and over is driving me insane. Worst part seeing my 14 yo son hurt over this but still dosnt seem to help me stay stopped. I feel so much shame and guilt. I'm a piece of sht
Old 06-27-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me two years of failures before I finally had enough misery. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I try to remember that if I want to stop failing I need to stop giving up.

You're not a piece of sh!t. You are a good person with a drink problem. Stop picking up the drink. Really that's what it comes down to, not drinking no matter what. In a couple weeks you feel so much better that it becomes easier. We all have things we feel a little guilt about. Your son will forgive you.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im not sure I'm pm u right but it would be nice to have some help.
I live in the boondocks in nj and having very hard time getting to meetings with no
Thx so much for your offer
They would not let me post my email
Old 06-27-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you call AA in your area: Local AA Meetings they can arrange rides for you. They would also be available to talk to you as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thx to i u all. I can't believe u all took the time to respond to me
Maybe I will stop by this site daily no matter what is going on. I been looking online for somewhere to lie my head
Old 06-27-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I called my intergroup 2 weeks ago asked for ride they took my info but haven't heard anything. I think I will try valling again tonight
Old 06-27-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do have this book but never read it I will check it out
Old 06-27-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I first came on this site and was not yet 100% committed to stopping I read someone else's post which was something like "You have to get sober to want to get sober". That really resonated with me and I found it to be true.

Keep trying. You can do this. You need to believe that you can do it and that the future can be different to the past. But for that to happen we need to do things differently.

Good luck, Its hard but its worth it
Old 06-27-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good idea to call again Mistory - I know for me that the shame & guilt are feelings that make it easy to continue drinking....you cannot undo & go back but just move forward. I have a 15 year old son....they worry about us & just want us to be OK. Be good to yourself. This is a great site for support
Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't know if you have any underlying issues (I do! trauma, PTSD, anxiety!) but I realized going from my therapist's to the bar wasn't going to help me. I had to be sober to process the things that made me drink or i would never get better.

Have hope
Old 06-28-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I spent a year trying to quit, from deciding something had to change with my drinking to actually being able to be Sober.

Hang in there!!
Old 06-28-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
Thx to i u all. I can't believe u all took the time to respond to me
Maybe I will stop by this site daily no matter what is going on. I been looking online for somewhere to lie my head
You betcha. I found this site while looking for a detox in my area. I feel lucky I did. After a while, checking in on this site becomes a good habit.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Hi Mistory. I lost count of all my stops and starts when it came to drinking/quitting. Sometimes I'd make it a few weeks, sometimes a few months, then I'd fall back into my old habits again. I made it 2 years once but that was only because my wife (I was married at the time and had one child) threatened to leave me if I drank again. That put the fear of God into me for a long while. Still not enough.

The Addictive Voice - that voice inside that coaxes us to drink - builds its strength on repeated failures, but what I've finally learned is that you don't fail unless you give up. That's exactly what it wants you to do, but you are in complete control of that voice. It has no arms or legs, just a big mouth and you have the power to shut it up, for good. We can learn to do that together. I am 2 weeks sober myself right now and plan on staying that way. I urge you to continue looking for help, but coming here is also a good idea. There are so many great people here willing to help.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Call and call and call AA people for rides. Don't give up. Someone will eventually be able to help you out. Don't ever give up. Keep coming here and reading and posting. Stay connected. When you feel like a drink, stop dead in your tracks and come here. Call an AA if you have numbers. Just don't try to handle your cravings all alone.

If you have a smartphone, SR has a great app. I use it all the time so I always have SR in my pocket.