SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   back again! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/337059-back-again.html)

JaneLane 06-27-2014 08:58 AM

back again!

Hey everyone,

I lost my way for a bit and I am now back, thank goodness!

I have been drinking recently and as much as I regret doing so, I am now so much clearer on my reasons for drinking, what situations etc.

I've been writing a lot. I have a folder just for my recovery stuff I've accumulated from meetings, websites and so on. I feel really glad I've kept it. I think it's helping.

Tonight I have to clean up the mess in my flat. I didn't clean for ages as I was more often than not, drunk! The amount to clean is worrying me but I know I will feel less anxious once everything is in its place.

Hello again!

TimidTulip 06-27-2014 09:10 AM

Hello from a newbie!

Cleaning can be a real downer. Break it up into small sections so you dont get overwhelmed. Collect all the dishes together. Throw out the trash. Sort the laundry. Do a bit, then give yourself a break and a reward after each "section" If that is too much? Put the kettle on to make a cup of tea or coffee, and clean just until the kettle boils. You'd be surprised how much you can get done!

And when you're done - come back here and post all about it! :-)

PurpleKnight 06-27-2014 09:52 AM

Welcome back!! :)

Jupiters 06-27-2014 09:54 AM

welcome back!
def. do the cleaning in small doses :) I know I would let everything fall apart while on one of my benders as well. And as someone who is a neat freak to the MAX...when I sobered up, I'd be disgusted with the state of myself AND my apt. and would go on a full day frenzy of cleaning madness!
so just do it small bits n pieces :) it isn't going anywhere

HeadLump 06-27-2014 10:49 AM

Welcome back, Jane :) It sounds like you've been doing a lot of useful thinking while you've been away. Now you're ready to get back on the straight and narrow - and we're all here to support you :grouphug:

(but you're on your own with the housework ;) )

Nuudawn 06-27-2014 12:18 PM

Helloo and welcome back!
I went to town and go lost again myself for awhile.
Glad you found your way back too.

Stoogy 06-27-2014 12:21 PM

Welcome back, glad you are with us it's the safest place to be.

JaneLane 06-27-2014 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by TimidTulip (Post 4745301)
Hello from a newbie!

Cleaning can be a real downer. Break it up into small sections so you dont get overwhelmed. Collect all the dishes together. Throw out the trash. Sort the laundry. Do a bit, then give yourself a break and a reward after each "section" If that is too much? Put the kettle on to make a cup of tea or coffee, and clean just until the kettle boils. You'd be surprised how much you can get done!

And when you're done - come back here and post all about it! :-)

This is such a good idea! I did some tidying then dyed my hair as I definitely needed something to mark a change!

biminiblue 06-27-2014 02:42 PM

I had to do it 15 minutes at a time.

I'd collect and bag stuff for 15 minutes, then take a break. Otherwise I get overwhelmed and being the perfectionist would tend to give up since I couldn't get it all done perfectly at one time.

I've learned it's best to have a rotating list - like deep cleaning bathtub/shower on one day, kitchen counters/walls on another, vacuum and mop on another, windows and refrigerator quarterly, closets once every six months.

I change the sheets on Friday. I dust on Sunday. I water plants on Saturday. Clean the litter boxes on Monday, etc. That way it's a few minutes a day and I can keep things picked up in between by doing a ten minute speed-tidy-up. The toilet gets swished out every day, so does the bathroom sink and mirror.

Hevyn 06-27-2014 04:22 PM

Glad you are back Jane! :) It sounds like you learned something valuable from your relapse. Good to see you wanting to try again.

Dee74 06-27-2014 04:24 PM

Welcome back Jane :)

D

least 06-27-2014 04:33 PM

Glad you're back giving it another go. :)

LBrain 06-27-2014 09:33 PM

welcome back JL, when you finish with your flat you can over to my place and start in any room.

JaneLane 06-28-2014 11:14 AM

That's such a good idea. I get the place perfect then get overwhelmed with maintaining the whole thing so doing a bit at a time is a great idea.

neferkamichael 06-28-2014 11:40 AM

JaneLane, FANTASTIC, glad you are back. This is the place to be for support, rootin for ya. :egypt:

http://m2.i.pbase.com/g9/60/808060/3...2.YBGkrdYj.jpg