Notices

daily miracles

Old 06-27-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

daily miracles

I just wanted to share something that's kinda important to me. So today, I was woken up by one of my cats yowling. I found her and she was acting very upset, like she was in pain. She actually bit a piece of furniture so hard when she was afraid that she stuck her tooth in it. I got her out and she calmed down. I examined her closely (used to be a vet assistant) and she appeared normal. I didn't think too much on it.

Later in the afternoon, I was napping in the living room and it happened again. Chewy was yowling and frantic. She was definitely in pain. The other cats ran to investigate so I had to shoo them off. Again, I couldn't find anything wrong with her but that was enough. It was 6 PM. I'm new to the area and don't have a vet yet so I contacted the emergency vet and took her in.

Chewy is physically fine. They pulled some bloodwork on her and I'll know more when the results come in tomorrow. I had some issues with the credit card I use for vet stuff but was able to somehow get things handled.

So what? Well, just over 3 months ago, this story would not have been possible. You see, I would have been too passed out in to morning to have been woken up by my distressed cat. By 6, I would have been too wasted to drive. I would have had to wait for my husband to get home and make him take us after his long day at work. Then, I would have been consumed with guilt, fear and embarrassment at the vet's office while the stench of my alcohol laced breath filled the small exam room. When the difficulties with the payment happened, I would have been too befuddled to deal with the issue.

Had this happened a few months ago, this situation would have been filled with fear, embarrassment, guilt, anxiety and self centeredness. Today, I faced the situation with calm, confidence, resolve and hope. I'm glad my cat is okay. I'm glad that I'm okay. Sobriety is teaching me many lessons. One of those lessons is to handle the difficulties in my life with calm, resolute and positive energy. My behavior and emotions have a direct effect on the environment around me.

I know a peace today that I have never know. This is at 3 months. Three freaking months. What lessons will I have learned in 6 months? A year? Several years? The only way I will know is to keep working on my sobriety. This is the life I can live with. Thank you all for the roles you have played in my sobriety. This site saves lives and I am proof positive of that!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Chewy is in good hands!!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the story DG and glad your cats ok :-) In 2 weeks time I'll be unemployed,and this is a good lesson for me to and I'm going to approach this with your manner.Thanks is for the reminder that being sober I can find another job :-)
Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've made remarkable progress DG
best wishes to you and Chewy

D
Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Good luck with the job hunt, Django. I had a couple of job interviews before I got my new job a month ago. One tip I learned was that before I left home for an interview, I struck a Superman pose and held it for a while. Chin up, chest out, fists on hips and feet spaced apart. I am Supergirl! I am awesome and I'll be an asset wherever I go. Approach your interviews with reserved enthusiasm. Be honest! My current boss asked me if I'd ever worked with someone I didn't like. I said yes and told him how I dealt with her. He was happy that I said yes because so many people think that yes is the wrong answer. Remember that you're selling yourself in the interview. Don't give them the answers you think they want. Give them the answers as you know them. You'll find the right job that way. I'm wishing you tons of luck!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Good luck with the job hunt, Django. I had a couple of job interviews before I got my new job a month ago. One tip I learned was that before I left home for an interview, I struck a Superman pose and held it for a while. Chin up, chest out, fists on hips and feet spaced apart. I am Supergirl! I am awesome and I'll be an asset wherever I go. Approach your interviews with reserved enthusiasm. Be honest! My current boss asked me if I'd ever worked with someone I didn't like. I said yes and told him how I dealt with her. He was happy that I said yes because so many people think that yes is the wrong answer. Remember that you're selling yourself in the interview. Don't give them the answers you think they want. Give them the answers as you know them. You'll find the right job that way. I'm wishing you tons of luck!
Only before an interview?I superman pose when I get out of bed ;-) Cheers DG you put a smile on my face :-)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Django View Post
Only before an interview?I superman pose when I get out of bed ;-) Cheers DG you put a smile on my face :-)
Made me smile too, Mrs Grits.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Great post!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good luck to you and the more you do being sober and noticing the difference the more better you will feel inside that its working for you : )

this is how i have grown as a person and its amazing just what we can cope with in life when trouble comes our way and we dont need to drink on them anymore : )

well done and keep it up