Notices

Work-related stress as a trigger

Old 06-26-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work-related stress as a trigger

With a sober and healthy mind, I am able to see how my drinking was so easily triggered by stress. I didn't have a truly horrible day, but it was enough to want to come home and "take off the edge". I absolutely can't allow myself to do that because it will lead right back down the hole again.

Doesn't help that my wife is in a weird mood. And tomorrow is Friday...also likely to be a trigger for drinking.

Eek! Gotta direct the energy somewhere else....
Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DJSobriety, that's how my more serious drinking problem started back in the day. I always did social binges occasionally, but my daily (or quazi-daily) habit escalated during especially one particularly crazy, hectic, and stressful work period. Then I was stuck with it for many years.

It's usually recommended that we minimize external stresses as much as possible in early recovery. Of course often it's not easy to do at all. Here's where introducing new relaxation methods can really help. And also not letting the external world, other people, etc affect us negatively as much as possible. Easier said than done...
Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah yes...and that hole is a deep, dark one that was so very hard to get out of before. Learning new coping mechanisms for stress is key. Yesterday...I had to go for a very long drive to sort myself out. Thankfully, the sun was shining and the radio tunes were perfect.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Gotta build up the coping mechanisms and skills. Work will lead to stress in the future, wives are frequently weird, and 1/7th of the rest of your life will be Fridays.

Good recognition of danger. Now find something to do! You got this!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Gotta build up the coping mechanisms and skills. Work will lead to stress in the future, wives are frequently weird, and 1/7th of the rest of your life will be Fridays.
I have to write this quote somewhere. It's perfect. Thank you!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Nonsensical speaks the truth...wives are frequently weird. At least, insofar as 'I am weird' frequently is my truth

A lot of my work is from home for me and I find that having my running shoes and earphones ready for use to be an essential part of managing work/house stress. I walk-and-listen-it-out (also punched the air in the first weeks) then return a bit more sane.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah work seems to come up a lot in threads, but having other stress busters other than alcohol will take time to develop, but it can be done!!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are so right..my mind tells me I had a bad day but that's not always the case. Even if I did..alcohol might make it ease for a bit but that cr$%ap doesn't go away with drinking. Using it as an excuse has been my biggest downfall.