Notices

Hi, everyone!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone!

I'm really excited to join you all. I've read many posts here and found comfort in difficult times, not to mention that it's also allowed me to focus on something other than a bottle. So thank you. You've helped me more than you know.

Dee was gracious enough to say "welcome" in another thread that I joined, so I really appreciate that. I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I'm male, early 30's, married with kids. I started suffering from mood disorders in childhood, which led to clinical mental health problems by adolescence, chronic alcohol abuse and self-medication by early adulthood, and alcoholism by the time I became a dad and husband. I'm into the recovery process, but it's early.

I know that I'll inevitably be asked: what's the plan for continued sobriety? A good question indeed.

From a physical health perspective, I've started running competitively again (an old passion since high school) and renewing my commitment to nutrition. I have constant energy that needs to be put somewhere, and running is a good place for it to go, instead of quelling it with alcohol. Good nutrition has been the fuel that allows me to keep going. I've also stoked some creative fires by getting into music, writing, and various other art forms.

Mentally, I've gotten better over time with a few counseling stints and mindfulness training. So the disorders that led me here in the first place have vastly improved.

Still, I know that even in a better mental state, the urges to drink are likely to come back. I did, after all, transition from occasional self-medicating to full-fledged alcoholism over time, so I'm looking into a variety of recovery options. I've attended an AA meeting but am not convinced that it's the path for me. I am considering SMART, but if anyone has other recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope to offer support to others, as well as receive it in times of need.

Thanks for letting me join your loving and supportive community - I look forward to the exchanges.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to posting on the SR forum, DJ!

Sounds like you have got some great resource and activities lined up. Nice job

How long have you been sober now?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'm roughly a month in, but I've found myself getting stressed by the day-counting so I try not to focus on it too much. It makes everything seem to go by slowly. I suppose that's another question I have for everyone...merits of recognizing an exact sobriety date, or not?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome again DJ - I know you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 06-26-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by DJSobriety View Post
Thanks! I'm roughly a month in, but I've found myself getting stressed by the day-counting so I try not to focus on it too much. It makes everything seem to go by slowly. I suppose that's another question I have for everyone...merits of recognizing an exact sobriety date, or not?
Welcome DJ, and yes, counting days does make it seem to go by so painstakingly slow. Best to just live.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've attended an AA meeting but am not convinced that it's the path for me. I am considering SMART, but if anyone has other recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.
Welcome and a good journey of sobriety to you.
I and many others needed more than a meeting to be informed about a program that has helped millions and is world wide.
For me there was fear involved in seeking help from people who I didn’t know but they were knowledgeable and understood me. There were things I didn’t like or understand but that was far more tolerate able than the inner pain I felt.
There are many different types of meetings around and I’d recommend some beginner meetings for adjustment.
BE WELL
Old 06-26-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome DJ. Sounds like you are off and running with a good plan.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my case, I tend to like counting days. It keeps me focused and in someway rewarded for making it through another day We all have to do what works for us.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey DJ - how is your day?

As far as timekeeping goes, my curiosity is just for perspective as as a reader and supporter. The first few weeks were a frenzy of physical activity for me and then that chilled giving way to a much different experience...where I still needed to chili out but in a different way. Nice job!

Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recognising a sobriety date and counting are really two separate things for me.

My sobriety date is the day my life changed so that's important to me and I'll never forget it.

I counted days in the beginning because I could never get more than 3 days sober for a number of years.

That mounting total was a quantifiable measure of my success in the beginning.

Later on, I stopped counting days

D
Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your month sober. I know you'll find lots of support here.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome, DJS.

in the secular connection section you can find a couple of threads where people talk about why they count or not.

you'll also find info on non-step programs, and depending on where you live, you'll have a variety to choose from.

good to have you here.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi DJ! I used alcohol to self-medicate too; it was always the easiest, no effort way to get rid of feelings I didn't want.

I kind of approach this quitting business a little unconventionally, which is to frame it in a way that doesn't make it this huge Herculean task, because that makes it worse for me. So I don't see quitting alcohol any harder than losing weight and keeping it off. More is at stake of course (unless a person is clinically obese), but the process itself isn't that different. From my experience, the beginning is the hardest part; that is when the habits you formed while drinking excessively works against you, and you have to be on top of being mindful during this period to get through.

I don't have a formal method I'm using, but I use ACT therapy to help with cravings. It sounds like you're already exercising, which is another component I suggest to people. Spirituality seems to be a big piece in recovery literature, but since I'm not religious, I instead do outdoorsy things (preferably in unspoiled nature), which I guess is the equivalent of my church. That's when I feel the most awe, wonder, and connection with life and the universe, the base of spiritual feelings I believe. So find whatever gives you those feelings and seek them out. Connection with others is also vitally important; maybe do more activities with your wife, kids, friends, etc where you can bond. That means watching TV together doesn't really count. Unless you spend a lot of time afterwards dissecting and analyzing what you just watched together.

That's it for now. You'll find things that work and don't work for you through this process. Anyway, welcome! Glad you're here.