Notices

Hello! :)

Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello! :)

Hello Everyone. I have lurked here for awhile now, I feel I’ll have better success if I contribute to helping others while finding strength for myself. Somewhere along the line drinking went from being fun (college) to myself finding any reason or excuse to drink (i.e. it’s a beautiful day, stress at work, favorite show, etc.!) I’m 42 now, divorced with sole physical and legal custody of my 2 beautiful sons. My drinking escalated after my divorce 2 years ago, drinking in the evenings mainly (wine mainly or vodka when I didn’t want the calories). I feel like a liar in that I try to make it look like I have it together, I run, I work full time, support 2 kids on my own, but I drink to the blackout point dealing with stress in the evenings. My low was being arrested for a DUI 9 months ago. On my way home from a friends wedding (kids were at a friends overnight) I had never even had a speeding ticket, I was mortified with the experience and the gravity of what a dumb decision I made to drive that night. That in itself should be sobering. I blew high (.202) and didn’t even feel drunk, my tolerance is high I am sure. The repercussions have been very expensive, I did not lose my license but got a hardship with the interlock on my car. It’s highly embarrassing for me to have that on my car and most people don’t even know, I park far or make excuses why I can’t drive anyone somewhere. Mom’s don’t get DUI’s, I feel like a loser. Having the interlock has been a blessing and a curse, I won’t ever drive drunk again after dealing with all this, but I don’t want to drink at home anymore either. I am eligible to get the machine off next month and though I hate having the machine, in some ways it has held me accountable to not drink so much in the evenings so that it doesn’t violate me early in the morning (you’d be surprised how long alc stays in your system, I learned that with this machine! Those early morning hangovers I often had, I was still drunk!!! I just need to rid myself of the need to drink to deal with stress, it’s not fun anymore and dealing with legal issues surrounding drinking is really scary too. I’m on day 3 and feel determined. I’m looking forward to hanging around here. Thanks so much for listening.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to the forum Sunshine! Good stuff here.

Nice job on Day3. Keep going...it is so worth it for so many reasons.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sunshinesmile. I am glad you are here with us. Many of us drank to deal with stress. The irony for me is that the after-effects of drinking have inflicted WAY more stress than I ever experienced before I took that first drink. It took me 20+ years of drinking to figure that one out.

Anyway, congratulations on reaching Day 3. The next week or two may be a grind for you. But it will get easier from there. Just take it one day at a time (or one hour at a time) until then.

Good luck. Be strong.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum sunshinesmile!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, sunshinesmile.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're definitely in the right place, this site is great for support. Keep up the good work
Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Welcome to SR and good job on 3 days! Stick around. You won't regret it!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are all so kind, thank you so much! I'm inspired by all of you! The hardest time for me is about to come, and that's the drive home from work, it's so easy to pull in a gas station to get a bottle of wine. It's been a habit of mine for so long, switching up stores so I don't look like "THAT" person that is always buying alcohol..lol.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by sunshinesmile View Post
You are all so kind, thank you so much! I'm inspired by all of you! The hardest time for me is about to come, and that's the drive home from work, it's so easy to pull in a gas station to get a bottle of wine. It's been a habit of mine for so long, switching up stores so I don't look like "THAT" person that is always buying alcohol..lol.
I have about 5 liquor stores in a 15 mile radius. I used to make sure I alternated my visits to each one so I didn't arouse too much suspicion. Problem is, the liquor stores are run by the local government and they often transfer employees from one location to another, so I'd still often run into the same people anway!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, sunshinesmile! So glad you're here.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
I have about 5 liquor stores in a 15 mile radius. I used to make sure I alternated my visits to each one so I didn't arouse too much suspicion. Problem is, the liquor stores are run by the local government and they often transfer employees from one location to another, so I'd still often run into the same people anway!
lol, it's terrible for me to laugh about that but I understand! There's been a few times I have said "Oh it's for a friend" lol I get that look like "sure lady!"
Old 06-25-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, sunshinesmile and GetMeOut, I know EXACTLY what you both are talking about!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you sunshinesmile. You will feel right at home here.

Your drinking journey sounds a lot like mine, but I continued into my 50's trying to control it. Not sure why - it had been a very long time since it was fun. I also divided up my alcohol purchases among several stores. So clever!

You are not alone, sunshine. We are with you & you are going to do this.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Always good to have some more Sunshine round here...

With respect to wine buying embarrassment...
Today I was shopping and saw a woman that well...I really only know her from the store I bought my wine. I brought her chocolates one year at Christmas. Geeezzz...

I debated about saying "hello".
I didn't. I turned and walked in the other direction. Just trying to outwalk my own shame...