Notices

i have drank 8 YEARS of my life away.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i have drank 8 YEARS of my life away.

i am back and trying again...in all honesty i dont know if i have even really TRIED before. i got the craving, decided it was too strong and simply gave in to it.
i was planning to try again tonight, but last night (while drunk and drifting off to sleep) i realized with immense shock that i have been drinking for 10 years with barely a night off.
(if you dont now me, i began drinking heavily during an abusive relationship)well, it has been 8 years since i have even seen him. how pathetic that i have drank away 8 years of my life (my young years, my supposedly best years-and worse, my childrens young years).
i HAVE to quit now or i will end up a wasted, washed up drunk. i HAVE to stop now of i will waste more of my life on him. and i dont deserve any more pain. i dont deserve to go on like this. i am only 26, i should be enjoying life and preparing for a happy, fulfilling future, not hating life and killing myself.
i will pop in when i am feeling weak and hope to find plenty of support.
i CANT go back this time. this has to be it.
thank you for reading x
Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!

Great job on making your decision, if you sort things out now, you still have your whole life ahead of you at 26!!

SR is in your corner!!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am very new to this and just recently stopped drinking after 15 years of almost every day of it. I am 36 and I don't want to waste any more of my life either. I totally get how you feel and I am having a hard time accepting this change. It's part of my life....we can do this.....
Old 06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can tell you that after years of drinking myself away finally waking up and taking the first steps of sobriety were the hardest. Being almost 200 days sober really is an accomplishment now. I am more hopeful for the future for the rest of my life. I also began drinking to cover up the pain and problems in my daily life. This became a daily thing just to cope with life instead of living it and working to change it. I began to limit my daily activity so I could function drunk until I realized that this wasn't living at all. Looking back no wonder I was depressed and overweight.

I thank God I woke up finally and now get to experience every day as a gift with my wife and two children. I still struggle like everyone but the harsh reality is that when we put our faith in flesh we will be let down 100% of the time. I think that's why the higher power thing is so important. For me it's Jesus Christ and knowing someone saw the light in humanity enough to die for it. That's powerful stuff. Whatever is your strength, hold on tight but be willing to accept change as an inevitable fact of life.

All the best and look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's great that you realize you have a problem.
I binge drank for years then, turned into an every day drinker. I drank away twenty years of my life and became that that wasted, washed up drunk you mention. I was living a nightmare. It's great you realize you have a problem now. Wish I had when I was your age.
It sounds like it time for action, or to have a plan, for you. Have you tried AA? There are other support groups as well. This site has been invaluable to me. To read a post like yours and see what it's still like out there, so thank you.
It's been three and a half years since my last drink and life is good.
When I think of all the time I was either drunk or recovering from it makes me ill.
Save yourself that misery of fear, regret and self-loathing and stop now.
If you're anything like I was, worse things lay ahead.

Best to you, and stick around and read and post. You can do this.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad you are ready to get sober. Your children need you. I hope you stick to it and hold on. We are all here for you. You are not alone. Anytime you need support just post. Some one will be here for you. When I first got sober I spent a lot of time in the chat room. It really helped. You are in my prayer.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

night one over...
Old 06-25-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back smadams

D
Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are at that point ;-)

Good for you , i can see you really want this .

You CAN do it .its possible , it's a reality ...keep posting and congrats on your decision , you wont regret it xx