Notices

Enough do this madness - 6/25/14

Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome back Pam and congrats on day 1. I drank at 6 weeks sober a couple of years ago so totally understand where you are at. Many of us do drink again before it sticks-that's not to say relapse is part of recovery, I don't agree with that. But it does happen.

For me I just had to accept that I couldn't do it anymore. Do whatever works for you.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You have helped me more than you know today!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I could feel it building in me. Thoughts of drinking came harder and more frequent. I just felt flat.
For me R ,
this is where or even before this is where i start looking at HALT , start reading the dhammapada , watch some U.G. Krishnamurti , start to work on my attitude of gratitude , read lots of newcomer threads about how heavy the chains of drink are to break out from under , remembering to cheer people on , and how hard things are under the yoke of drink , it puts me back on the right path ..

A few months ago i was kinda getting stinky thinking hanging round , Kenny reminded me to spend some time investing in my own recovery and as i've worked it, it's got better .. The signs are often there pointing to sobrietyville as we hurtle down skid alley .. such things can be undone, stepped down and away from ..

Glad to have you back , m
Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Ok friends, off the pity pot and onto Day One.
Better than bacon.

Welcome back to sanity.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard the sober train, Raider. It is good to have you back with us. Good luck. We are right there with you.....
Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Glad to hear it Raider! I read a lot of your posts but found it hard to know what to say to you when I knew you were willfully actively drinking and knew better. Wishing you all the best. I don't need to be the one to tell you the first few days are the roughest, but with the meds you'll be taking, hopefully it will be more tolerable.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I could feel it building in me. Thoughts of drinking came harder and more frequent. I just felt flat. I knew it was coming. I knew I would drink.

This I can relate to and it happened to me twice. It almost felt like a done deal,the feelings were so strong and I never thought they would pass.The only thing I could do was drink.

It is entirely normal and natural. Stopping drinking wasn't horrendously difficult for me -it was staying stopped after a few weeks when the above feelings happened that I really struggled with.

I don't know if I read something on here or felt different or what but I did begin to accept that the feelings would happen but the critical thing I needed to sort out was how I would deal with them. I read much about urges/cravings/feelings etc and have learned that they DO pass although you don't believe they will at the time. Urge surfing worked wonders for me. try it and each time it works you 'll feel just a little bit stronger
Old 06-25-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Lenina

Can you explain what RR is from your last post about understanding the beast of alcohol?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hi Cleomie! RR is Rational Recovery. Ill try to explain best i can. i am not a very good writer, I'm afraid. jack Trimpey first wrote about his take on addiction some years ago. He talks about how the "Beast" of addiction in our brains works. there's a website about it now and also some books. this concept was immensely helpful for me. It rea

RR really clarified things for me. I recommend reading up on it. mr Trimpey has a major rash against AA, almost pathological it seems to me. But I think he makes good sense. RR is an abstinence based program. You might read up on it on SR in the Secular Connections. I am not atheist, I hold a more Universalist view. Anyway. Let me go back and see if I can find the long running thread. It's worth reading.

Love from Lenina

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 06-25-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So glad to have you back in the land of the living, Raider! What a blessing you have in your supportive husband!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Welcome back Pam, not the same without you, glad your back with us.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great news Pam! Sobriety is the only way to enjoy life for an alcoholic. I'm not in AA but I some of the phrases are so apt.....it really is 'the easier softer way'. Take care of yourself and don't be too hard on yourself - I've been exactly where you are.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I felt a tremendous weight disappear after my post on here today. These people bought the cabin next to ours. I've known them all of 4 days maybe. I have a huge piehole, got drunk, went over there and told them I am an alcoholic and I have relapsed. I'm sure the smell of the liquor was a clue. I told the lady today in a text I was back on day one (again). They are leaving today (back on Sunday). Before they left, she came over and handed me an envelope with this necklace and note inside.......I love her.

image.jpg

I am overwhelmed by this gesture and the people on this website. I thank you.

Pam
Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

wow! That is so nice! how wonderful to have new neighbors and also new friends.

Love from Lenina
Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Just think you are always going to have a 6 month anniversary on Christmas! Rockstar Sober Date!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good decision. Don't look back; look forward. Go Raider go!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Wow JDooner! I will! Thank you. You have helped me immensely to get to this point again.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wonderful, wonderful news, Raider! Good for you. I must confess I was so happy to read this. You have so many people rooting for you.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Last edited by GwenCummings; 06-25-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Huge picture broke your thread. Sorry.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

That is a beautiful cross, you are blessed to have such a nice neighbor. People really come through for us all at times without our even expecting it or asking for anything.