Notices

First day

Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day

Today is my first day. I need a reason to not drink alcohol. I get 3-4 days 2-3 months and then I drink.

I go to meetings, then stop. I have had a sponsor but did not follow thru.
I have tried a lot but need a strong reason. Im desperate to be strong. Help please
Old 06-25-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Welcome aboard, I think many of us decided to quit because we felt we had too, there are also many good pholk who quit when they sadly hit rock bottom in life through their addiction, the key is we have too want it to make it stick.
Good luck, we are all here for you.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today is my first day too. Drank two days straight and now I am so sick. I can't do this anymore. Today is the day I take my life back.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Victoriarose!

I had plenty of reasons to quit drinking. Drinking made my life unmanageable, and alcohol had control over me.

SoberRecovery is a great place to find reasons to quit--just read about where addiction has taken others. Right now, there is at least one member who might not post again because this disease may have killed her.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome indeed, Victoria

I can think of hundreds of reasons to quit, but one of the biggest for me has been the psychological improvement - my self-esteem has soared and my self-hatred of many years standing has diminished. Also, the feeling of freedom from obsessing over alcohol is amazing

Stick with it. Sobriety will take you to places you never dreamt of
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to posting Victoriarose!

This forum is very helpful for feedback and perspective. My tendency is to get caught up in overthinking the long term goals at the expense of the most important short term ones.

One day at a time works very well for me with this journey. Reading and posting here on SR is a great idea.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Victoriarose!!

You'll find loads of support and advice here, great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you ended up here it's likely a shortage of reasons to quit is not your problem. More likely, your problem is you know you should quit, but you don't. That was my problem, and I imagine it was a problem for most readers at some point or another.

The good news is that quitting is a lot easier than it sounds. It's scary, yeah, and the withdrawals can suck a lot, but short-term withdrawal symptoms are mostly over by 7-8 days. And what's a week, really? It's a long time for some things (like, if you were on fire, that might be a really long week), but to not have alcohol? Probably isn't going to kill you.