Notices

Binge drinking ruining my life, why did I let it happen?

Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking ruining my life, why did I let it happen?

Hello everyone,

Firstly I found this site by a google search. A lot of the threads are like ive written them myself. Ok a little bit about myself. I hit the big 40 last month. Ive always been a social drinker, most weekends, couple of times a week, since i was 18 years old. Never considered i had a problem until a few years ago. I got married and had a beautiful baby boy. Instead of this slowing me down, it made me worse. I would drink whole bottles of wine upstairs when my wife was downstairs. Drink the vodka in the drinks cabinet, then fill it with water tillI got round to buying another one. My wife is amazing and very understanding and patient, perhaps so much so. But after another weekend of my getting drunk and embarrassing her and myself in front of her family, she as said, its her or the booze. How did i get into this situation? I don't drink during the week, I can go for weeks without getting drunk, but then i think there's nothing wrong with drinking half a pint of vodka at six oclock in the morning. I hate myself for days on end, feel sorry for myself, but this time i really need to stop. Off to AA to help me along. Thanks for listening
Old 06-25-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I feel for you. My drinking was already bad enough before my first child was born but also worsened after her birth. When she was 1 1/2 years old my wife (ex-wife now) found one of my hidden bottles and threatened to take our baby and leave me if I drank again. I quit for 2 years. 6 months after the second baby was born, I was at it again, worse than ever. Unlike you, I was an everyday, all day drinker - up to a 5th of vodka/day. You've got the right idea to go get help now before this spirals out of control, because I can guarantee you, if left untreated, it most certainly will. Good on you for deciding to deal with it now. Best wishes.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Taffy!

Great plan, AA saved my life and SR (Sober Recovery) keeps me focused and is so inspiring and helpful! Stay connected and know we're all pulling for you!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
“How did i get into this situation? I don't drink during the week, I can go for weeks without getting drunk, but then i think there's nothing wrong with drinking half a pint of vodka at six oclock in the morning.”
I badly needed to get honest with myself about MY drinking and stop BSing myself as to the way I wanted to see it. Next I needed to accept the fact that I cannot drink in safety because I’m an alcoholic and accept it as fact.
As far as I know alcohol is not an accepted healthy breakfast substitute for healthy minded people.

BE WELL
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Taffy, you don't have to drink every day or even every week to be an alcoholic. The only sure answer is to stop altogether, but I guess you've worked that out if you're going to AA. It helps to get a plan together for when your regret dies down, and things are going well and then you're hit with the urge. Plenty of people use SR for support when that time comes.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Taffy, you'll find loads of support here!!