Notices

something amazing happened

Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

something amazing happened

Maybe not to the normal person, but for me, yes. A year ago this would not have been possible. As I was sitting hear 2 hours ago my cell phone vibrated. I actually heard it. Who is sending me a text at 10:30? Who else but the wife. Since the car is going away I told her not to get gas even though the light is lit. She can make it to work and back for sure. However, there was an accident and being stuck in traffic (not moving) the warning light started flashing and the beeps started to happen.

So I got the gas can went to the fillin station and took a jug of gas to meet her just in case. Finding my way around back roads to detour the accident and getting to her destination first - she was on fumes by now. I gassed up the car and enjoyed an evening ride with the top off.

A year ago I would have been too drunk to drive or already passed out.

It's these little things that make me feel grateful I was able to stop drinking.
Anyone new to this endeavor keep this in mind. It's the simple things we (me) were not able to accomplish while drinking that come back to us when we're sober.
Being there for someone when needed.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Anyone new to this endeavor keep this in mind. It's the simple things we (me) were not able to accomplish while drinking that come back to us when we're sober. Being there for someone when needed.
Thanks Brain. That's pretty amazing Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Well done and well writ.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel, LBrain! That used to be me, too. Need a ride to work in the morning? Here's a few bucks for a cab, I'll still be too drunk at 7:00 am to drive you. Seven day canoe trip through the Boundary Waters? Naw, I don't see how I could keep enough beer cold for a trip that long. Being able to do the normal responsible stuff that normal folks do every day is still amazing to me.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had one of those moments when I brought my son to his 5.40 am carpool for swim practice. I thought how painful
It would have been in February!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Being able to do the normal responsible stuff that normal folks do every day is still amazing to me.
Me too!

It seemed like I had so much time and there was no longer a boundary that kept me from doing things or going places.

Need to got Walmart or the grocery store at 7pm?, no problem. I could never do that before. I was always drinking or drunk. Everything had to be planned around my drinking.

Living is so much more spontaneous now. I can go whenever I want to.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a great post LBrain! I can really understand my joy - I've felt the same if I've had to go out and do something unexpected for the kids and it's been like "wow, I can legally drive and be a responsible, supportive mum".
Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I have moments of gratefulness for sobriety like this on a near daily basis now. See, I was usually inebriated at work, every day. Now, when someone stops by my cubicle, I don't have to act any way other than as I am. If they need something, I don't have to put it off. I am up for anything. Today, I am replacing 4 main servers. It will be a pretty challenging task. If I was still drinking, it would have kept me awake all night worrying over it and how I was going to manage sneaking in enough drinks to avoid withdrawal but keep my wits about me to do the job and not screw something up. What a miserable life is the life of an active alcoholic!!

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks for me!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
What a miserable life is the life of an active alcoholic!!
Unmanageable my friend, unmanageable.

It is a lot of work, no wonder I was tired all the time!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's these little things that make me feel grateful I was able to stop drinking.
Anyone new to this endeavor keep this in mind. It's the simple things we (me) were not able to accomplish while drinking that come back to us when we're sober.
I love this post!!!

Being able to drive my kids places at night, without worry. Being able to take a quick trip to the store because we are out of milk for the morning. The one I love the most and I am grateful for every single morning...getting my kids off to school without feeling sick, tired and hungover.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is the truth. Being there for the ones we love is one of the greatest gifts of sober living.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, great post. Thanks for the inspiration!!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Brain! Well said.

I've had those flashes. Not drinking and not having to worry about whether I can help others or even myself (smelling like alcohol at work) brings a new freedom. Your post is timely for me.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Thanks Brain! Well said.

Not drinking and not having to worry about whether I can help others or even myself (smelling like alcohol at work) brings a new freedom. Your post is timely for me.
I never actually drank at work and sadly, considered that some sort of victory. BUT there were definitely times where I was worried that people noticed my red wine stained lips and that I reeked like stale wine from the night before. Ugh.

A few years ago, I was dating a guy and his car was in the shop, so he asked if I would drive him to the metro stop in the morning so he could get to work. When I picked him up he asked "did you have a glass of wine this morning??" b/c I smelled of it from the night before. I said I hadn't and turned it around on him...b/c I knew he had gone out with a few buddies for a couple of beers to watch the football game. Not sure if he bought it but he let it go...
Years later, its still so embarrassing to think about. And another good relationship that I let sour b/c I chose drink. Not to harp on the past, but it helps me to remember where I don't want to be again.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

LBrain, FNATASTIC, feels good yes, rootin for ya.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Love this post as it is a great reminder how present we can now be in the lives now that we aren't in the alcoholic haze. I, too, love that I can jump in my car at any point 24/7 to pick up or drive my son or another family member somewhere. Not planning my life around drinking feels like a huge ball and chain has been cut from my ankle.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maybe not to the normal person, but for me, yes. A year ago this would not have been possible. As I was sitting hear 2 hours ago my cell phone vibrated. I actually heard it. Who is sending me a text at 10:30? Who else but the wife. Since the car is going away I told her not to get gas even though the light is lit. She can make it to work and back for sure. However, there was an accident and being stuck in traffic (not moving) the warning light started flashing and the beeps started to happen.

So I got the gas can went to the fillin station and took a jug of gas to meet her just in case. Finding my way around back roads to detour the accident and getting to her destination first - she was on fumes by now. I gassed up the car and enjoyed an evening ride with the top off.

A year ago I would have been too drunk to drive or already passed out.

Thanks for sharing. I agree, my addiction to alcohol was crippling, I could not do simple things (or any thing really) during my binges. My entire life revolved around planning drinking/hungover time. I was useless. Like you, I never would have been able to pick up anyone at that hour. Great post!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Since the car is going away I told her not to get gas even though the light is lit. She can make it to work and back for sure.
Brain - along with the rest of your story, this bit really makes me smile. Filling up the gas tank is one of my most dreaded tasks...akin to packing moving boxes. I just do not like to do it at all. Thankfully, my SO has been filling the tanks for 15+ years! Now THAT is true love There has been that odd time when he is out of town and that little plastic piece on the odometer stares at me reflecting that red, glowing light. The complexity of thought that has gone into calculating remaining mileage and the significance and accuracy of 'just a plastic toothpick of an indicator' and 'just a little, little red light' is ridiculous. I'm getting to the point in life where I tell myself "just fill the damn tank". Amen to setting internal arguments. *If I was late to work I might get a little thrill in seeing if I could push it, though.

Love your story. As my brain is all over the place these days, this is a reminder that there is beauty in simplicity. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great Post!!