Notices

Well at least there's Starbucks

Old 06-24-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well at least there's Starbucks

Having an odd angsty, frustrating day. Didn't get anywhere near enough sleep last night and that's the biggest culprit right there. Did some much needed yard work at my mother's where I am dog/housesitting...

And almost threw myself into a pathetic heap in the backyard and had myself an old fashioned kindergarten style temper tantrum. For some reason hedge pruning almost got the best of me and we won't even get into having to pull those hideous prickle weeds.

How did I get this old without finding any competence or zen in yardwork? Suddenly I felt like I didn't have a freaking clue how to be an adult. Lawn cutting, weeds and shrubbery can almost level me?

To make matters worse...the internet, television and landline are out of service and will be until Thursday a.m.

I decided to take my laptop out to dinner to have some SR company whilst eating. The restaurant WIFI was down. I ate my meal alone in frustration.

So here I am at good ole Starbucks...having a rather yummy decaf caramel macchiato.

There's a silver lining right there.

I think I can hang here awhile before they close. I THINK I have a book at home. LOL..I'm all whiney cuz I don't have WIFI and television.

Wah wah.. ah well...I'm sober.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It's a new day tomorrow Nu ,
you set yourself up for a winner by staying sober 5 am here in the uk and it looks a nice day .

Take care , m
Old 06-24-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post

Having an odd angsty, frustrating day. Didn't get anywhere near enough sleep last night and that's the biggest culprit right there. Did some much needed yard work at my mother's where I am dog/housesitting...

Wah wah.. ah well...I'm sober.
Hey Nuu - Although I have WiFi, I feel your pain.

If you wake up tonight. Talk to the dog. Have you tried that angle? Ask the dog all sorts of questions. This has worked for me in the past when I am feeling angst ridden. Just once I would like the dog to give me a clear answer regarding why she cannot just poop in the toilet. Just once.

Mecanix is right. Tomorrow is a new day. Look forward to hearing how it's going.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Nuudawn - I gave up cafeine for about two weeks when I first got sober but didn't last long. I remember when I was sober for a decent time before I turned into a real coffee snob - just trying to have one/day at the moment but boy is it good.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Caramel macchiato is my Starbucks drink of choice

I've tried giving up caffeine before and I got quite sick. I will continue with caffeine!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
To make matters worse...the internet, television and landline are out of service and will be until Thursday a.m.
OMG, that sounds horrific! No sarcasm. I think I'd break out in a sweat if I didn't have access to TV or the internet at home. I'm sorry you have to go through this. But yay for sobriety!

I love the iced green teas (with 1/2 the sweetener) at Starbucks.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nuu, I made the mistake of eating a handful of chocolate covered coffee beans right before I went to bed. I got a reminder of what sucky sleep is like, but today is a new day and a vacation day to boot!

Nuu, you may not have a green thumb, but you have got panache in spades!!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

had myself an old fashioned kindergarten style temper tantrum
I laughed at the visual of that. Arghhhhhhh, those moments.

I found that as long as I wasn't out in a public place that allowing myself to do that was actually pretty uplifting. Some of mine would have made for a viral video on youtube.

Do whatever it is you feel like doing, up to and including laying on the floor and screaming. Days down the road you'll look back and chuckle. I call it the exorcism of the AV
Old 06-25-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nu, I think you are doing amazingly well after a tough relapse and emotional break-up

Cut yourself some dam slack why doncha'?

You've really been reaching out and helping people here and doing some positive
processing about what you want in a relationship, what you've learned from this,
and so on.

I think you are double-wonderful
Old 06-25-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yay to you! I would have opted for the temper tantrum.

You made it through and with panache. I'm addicted to the internet and SR so I think I would flip out. Mcdonalds is our nearest free wi fi if we lose it.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whatever happened to Tim Hortons? I though you Canadians loved TH. Maybe it's the starbucks causing all the anxiety. Maybe?

Hang in there Nuu,
Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Look on the bright side nuu,without internet etc you have more time to find the perfect sobriety ring ;-)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Nuu,

I want to tell you something I thought of yesterday... I did not know you before you've returned to SR recently because I wasn't active here last year, but seeing your posts now I went back and read a lot of the older ones out of curiosity.

You know what is one major thing that strikes me? What a powerful individual you are! Don't know your 3D realm, but here on SR you have the world at your feet in no time when you show up... even people I would not expect to react that strongly based on their other contributions You have these personality traits and style that can influence most people in some way.

You should ABSOLUTELY use this power to your benefit NOW that you've decided to marry sobriety. Truly keep him/her (gender?) tied to you forever, it's just the question of how you invest your power (maybe surrendering?).

Channel the intensity and sparkle the right way
Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good job on surviving without SR and wifi at home!! AND, for avoiding the gawd awful TIM HORTONS!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey Nuuu -- my former sponsor talked me into going for the Starbucks rewards system in early sobriety and I'll tell you, there were days when the thought of earning another freaking worthless badge let alone a star with a monetary value of about 20 cents made it all worthwhile!

What kills me tho is when you've bought your coffee and found a corner table away from the stinkiest people and find out the Starbucks wifi is down!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Django View Post
Look on the bright side nuu,without internet etc you have more time to find the perfect sobriety ring ;-)
What's a sobriety ring?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Thank the Good Lord in Heaven for Starbucks! I love just chillin' there by myself and my Kindle. That's another on my list of things to do when I feel like drinking... I'll go to Starbucks!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Starbucks is still amazing!!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sitting in my fave diner..with my laptop. It's a diner I discovered in my last sobriety where I often brought a book to enjoy their $5 breakfast. It's in an old hotel...oldest in my city. It's always been here and I may have come here once or twice before in my life but it kind of became "my joint" in last sobriety. Starbucks has Macchiatto's and wingchairs but old diners have "panache" (lol..thank you Doubledragons and Ruby!).

So I'm taking a page out of LTV's book here...as for the life of me..I cannot figure the multiquote (old dogs..new tricks..kinda deal I guess).

"Talk to the dog. Have you tried that angle? Ask the dog all sorts of questions. This has worked for me in the past when I am feeling angst ridden. Just once I would like the dog to give me a clear answer regarding why she cannot just poop in the toilet. Just once."
LOL...that's an excellent idea. She's a fluffy white bichon and when you do talk to her she cocks her head back and forth like she is really, really straining to understand. It's adorable.

"I remember when I was sober for a decent time before I turned into a real coffee snob"
I hear ya AF66. I'm off booze and cigarettes...you will have to pry coffee out of my cold, dead hands : )

"Whatever happened to Tim Hortons?" Oh I love my double-double's LB..but it's a drive thru love affair. I don't go inside..well, next to never.

"Caramel macchiato is my Starbucks drink of choice" Yum Yum NH. I had a decaf one last night since it was evening and with all that fat and sugar...ya...no difference at all.

"Look on the bright side nuu,without internet etc you have more time to find the perfect sobriety ring ;-)" Niiicccceee...DJ. God, it's good to see ya here.

"I did not know you before you've returned to SR recently" The pleasure is all mine haennie. I, and I'm sure I am one of many, appreciate your wonderful contributions here. Thank you for your lovely, complimentary thoughts. I'm a blushin'.

"OMG, that sounds horrific! No sarcasm." It is NW...it really, really is. Will have to try those green teas.

"Nuu, I made the mistake of eating a handful of chocolate covered coffee beans right before I went to bed." Okay..that's just funny DD. I dunno why but it reminds me of eating the equivalent of mexican jumpin' beans.

"Mcdonalds is our nearest free wi fi if we lose it" Now that's just good economic sense right there Ruby. I will remember that for suggestion for later.

"Good job on surviving without SR and wifi at home!!" I know hey!!! It's no easy task goodkitty.

"my former sponsor talked me into going for the Starbucks rewards system in early sobriety and I'll tell you, there were days when the thought of earning another freaking worthless badge let alone a star with a monetary value of about 20 cents made it all worthwhile!" Oh ...no I'm not a member. I LOVE this. I'm signing up. Awesome. Thanks courage!

"What's a sobriety ring?" From another one of my posts BM. For me, a never-married and childless, it's the first and maybe the only long term commitment I will ever make.

"That's another on my list of things to do when I feel like drinking... I'll go to Starbucks!" That sort of list is a life saver. Really glad you have joined us Elledee.

Thanks all. It's feeling like a way better day. I actually admired the backyard when I got up this morn : )
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"I think you are double-wonderful"

Right back at ya Hawkeye. I just can't help thinking of that wonderful Alan Alda character whenever I see your posts. Despite the drinkin' and still martini's, that character was just the kinda guy you could go to when the goin' got rough for a compassionate ear.