Notices

Cravings and anxiety too hard

Old 06-24-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings and anxiety too hard

Hi Everyone,

Im hoping to find someone that can relate to me. I been a hard alcoholic since 13 and now im 29 and trying to quit the drinking but the cravings are so hard i cant even put 1 day together. The only time i had drying out time was over 10 years ago and i was in an an inpatient facility and medicated. Since then its pretty much been a huge bender. My family currently isnt talking to me (and there all alcoholics anyway) and i just lost all my friends for doing something during a black out so the depression and anxiety is really getting to me. I do not have health insurance and quitting cold turkey is something i know is a bad idea.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Quitting drinking is hard to do. Do you have any support at all from friends or family? What about going to AA meetings. There's a lot of recovered alcoholics who would love to help you get sober.

At any rate, I hope the awesome support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm really happy you found us Sunny. I'm sorry for the miserable situation you're in, but things can definitely change!

I was drinking all day when I quit. That's because in my 20's I didn't take action - the way you are. I kept trying to control my drinking so I could still have 'fun'. In the end, the blackouts and misery were overwhelming. That's when I found SR and no longer felt alone. As you said, quitting abruptly is a bad idea. I did it, but I hope you'll get a doctor's advice. My blood pressure spiked dangerously.

Glad to have you here - you'll never regret getting your life back.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sunny5165!!

You'll find loads of support here at SR!!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This past month was nothing but a black out to me and i really lost everyone. Im hoping in time that will get better. I reached out by email to someone i know in AA this afternoon and im hoping she responds bc she tried to help me awhile ago but i shrugged her off. If i get no response ill have to research meetings in my area
Old 06-24-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevyn, yes, i been trying to control my drinking for a very long time. It just doesnt work. The medical fallout from the withdrawls is what im concerned about. I have been reading stories all day about recovering alcoholics that couldnt afford a facility or time off from work and they all used a cutting down method
Old 06-24-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA can help you.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Don't wait for your friend, call them now. They will arrange for someone to come pick you up and take you to a meeting, plus they can find you free or low cost detox/rehab if you are interested in that. They may know about medical at home detox, too. You can also call Salvation Army for free rehab.

Don't suffer for another day, there is a way out.

((hug)) and welcome to SR. We understand and we care about you.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Please reach out to AA as it seems you are in dire need of a real world helping hand Sunny. This place is absolutely awesome for as much support that can be lent through a keyboard..but I'm thinking you need a person...a real human being to come to your aid right now. I'm pretty sure someone answers those phones and can send someone to assist.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks i agree i need a real life person to help me deal with obstacles im going to endure. I will call them tomorrow
Old 06-25-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I reached out to many people i know in recovery today and im feeling much better especially about all the things i did wrong when i was drunk. I also got alot of advice on how to detox when rehab just isnt an option. Im not gona post it here bc it says not to post any medical advice. I am keeping myself busy and did things like laundry(which i always just drop off) and attempt to cook today. Im busy tomorrow and friday with people who do not drink.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh....and a shot of wheatgrass is very helpful for cravings and to give you all the nutrients you need when detoxing
Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sunny
Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Sunny,
I appreciate your positive responses to the suggestions above. I too am a great fn of AA, it worked when nothing else did, and it's been working for a long time with me.

On reading your op, I can't help thinking that a few days in detox would be a big help to get away from the craving problem. It's really hammering you if you can't get one day up and it may be very difficult to overcome that just with AA. That is unless you meet one of the real old timers who is willing to help you through detox.

I recall Dr Bob saying he felt a few days hospitalisation to clear the fog, was desirable before attempting the AA program.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sunny, Are you in the US? If you are you can probably get insurance for free or very low cost. I helped a friend without any money or job get into inpatient rehab. It cost nothing because she qualified for free insurance. Most likely people at your local AA can help guide you through this. There are also detox centers separate from rehab.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm pleased you updated us Sunny. I hope you continue to do so!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Keep up the good work! Stick with your recovery posse and keeping busy.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are better today Sunny
Check out this link too - it may help -

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D