Liked it at first.
Learned to hate it years later.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Don't confuse needing it to loving it.
Whether that be a person, place or thing. (scratch that...SR is fine

Love your in a nutshell wisdom Carl.

To the OP, I really hope you find some answers here that resonate with you. Hope you stay close and give sobriety.... and yourself all your efforts.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I used to love it, too, or thought I did. I loved the feeling it gave me. But then it turned on me. It's been many, many years since I derived any pleasure at all from drinking and it became nothing more than maintenance. It became a tool to ward off the agony of withdrawal, and that is all it was for. There were myriad other miserable side effects associated with it by that point, but at least I wasn't suffering withdrawal.

It really is as F. Scott Fitzgerald said:
"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you." And it happens in that order. What you think is fun and games now will suddenly turn into a trap you'll be clamoring to escape. My advice is get out while you can, and realize alcohol is not your friend. It can, and will, kill you.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good question! My theory is that the booze 'love' is an illusion (delusion) based on a bunch of factors - most prominently marketing, cultural acceptance, addictive tendencies, and of course the dopamine release in the brain.

Every time we drink we lie to ourselves (and others) about its value in our lives. We have to justify it in order to drink it because deep down there's a voice pleading to stop. In my experience it takes sober time to become aware of these thoughts. The trick is to replace them with reality checks. Like if you see a guy drinking a beer in the afternoon and you think oh, I'd love to do that, try to replace that with the thought that hes on his 5th beer, on his way to pick up his kids, and just getting started for the evening. Ugh, not so romantic now, right?