Notices

I need a little help (UK)

Old 06-23-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need a little help (UK)

Ok, so I have been drinking more and more starting about 1.5 years ago. I am 26 and have a full time job, working shifts. I don't drink before work, ever. But I have been ringing in sick more and more yesterday, and today I will do the same. It is 2.23am and I am meant to be up at half 5.

I haven't had a drink, so I cant sleep. All I am thinking of is going down getting drunk and hoping I wake up in time, but I don't want too do it anymore. Now I want to stop drinking altogether, but I need time off work.

Can I go to the doctors and get a note for sickness if I explain my problem to him in the morning?

My partner has started saying I am turning into an alcoholic, and she doesn't like it. We have just bought a house and I can't afford to lose my job.

Any more information you need just ask..I need to stop the drinking it's ruining me
Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getmesober, I'm not in the UK so can't answer your questions specifically.

I think you have made very important first step just by asking for help. That's a big hurdle for a lot of people, maybe even for most alcoholics and problem-drinkers.

Does your workplace have an Employee Assistance Program? A lot of businesses and managers are willing to help a good employee get over a problem like this.

Best wishes for your recovery!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No I don't believe they do, and I really don't want them to know.

Are there many UK posters here? Suppose they're sleeping if so

I have had enough, and I don't want my partner to suffer.

She saying I am like an alcoholic pretty often, I have been brushing it off. We went to bed last night, she fell asleep, I got up and drank 2 bottles of wine 4 beers, why? I was comfortable in bed but couldn't sleep. Rang in work about 6.30, hid the bottles (this is when i've realized its became a problem)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And i don't even like wine, the beer was doing nothing.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, lots of UK posters at SR but as you say, most are probably sleeping now.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi getmesober - welcome

I'm not in the UK either but seeing a Dr is a great first start. Let us know how you get on

D
Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi getmesober. Just wanted to welcome you. It sounds like you are really ready to make a change and this is a great place for support. I hope you will contact your doctor today and be honest about what you have been going through.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Got the task of ringing in sick too work first, then confronting my partner with what I want too do today before she goes to work, :|
Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi
i am from the uk and i am also in aa over here if you wish to give aa a try here is the help line number 0845 769 7555

just give them a call and explain to them how you feel and they will put you in touch with someone from your area
Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do not wish to do anything like AA, and I don't think I could with my shift work. Though do you know if the doctor can help with anything? They always seem useless too me
Old 06-23-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Uk poster just started my first shift of 4 and I can relate as I was thinking of phoning in sick today.Im trying to look on the bright side because although I'm feeling rough from my latest binge with no sleep,it's making me face people and at least keeps me away from drinking.

I have been to the doctor and got help which has helped,I'm just not helping myself.Maybe you need to speak to your partner and be honest about what's going on?I don't know but I hope you sort the problem out.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getmesober View Post
I do not wish to do anything like AA, and I don't think I could with my shift work. Though do you know if the doctor can help with anything? They always seem useless too me
Yes, my doctor signed me off for a week or so when I first quit, although I also have an anxiety disorder so imagined I could get signed off on that basis alone.

My GP did say they have changed things recently - he said ten years ago he'd have prescribed a benzo, organised counselling and taken the primary care rle. Now the services here are integrated through an agency, although I've personally had no success as they deemed I wasn't in need of detox.

GP is a great start.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

First thing I did was check in with a Dr, I'm from N.Ireland, so it was with the NHS!!

I didn't get signed off, he didn't think the withdrawals were going to be bad enough, I didn't drink before or during work either, only afterwards in the evening until I blacked out into bed every evening, and he didn't give me anything in terms of medication.

But a Dr is the medical expert so I just had to trust him, go and see what your GP has to say and take it from there!!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am in london and a newbie too. Your doctor can definitely help as mine has. The next stop is IDAS- integrated drug and alcohol services. They can provide counselling one to one and group, if you need it they can arrange for a treatment centre and also give you advice regarding work etc... Your doctor will tell you about them but you have to make the call- it is the first step. I called yesterday after having being told to call them for months. I am seeing them this week - efficient and very helpful. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

when I got to the point in time where I really couldn't go to work anymore I turned myself in for treatment at work it was a smart thing to do saving my job and it gave me a good taste of sobriety
MM
Old 06-24-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chance2 View Post
I am in london and a newbie too. Your doctor can definitely help as mine has. The next stop is IDAS- integrated drug and alcohol services. They can provide counselling one to one and group, if you need it they can arrange for a treatment centre and also give you advice regarding work etc... Your doctor will tell you about them but you have to make the call- it is the first step. I called yesterday after having being told to call them for months. I am seeing them this week - efficient and very helpful. Good luck.
Thanks for that I have never heard of them,are they just in London do you know?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think every area has them but maybe called something different- your gp will give you a number. I just googled and the East Sussex one is called DAAT. I was just called by mine and will see them at 1 pm today- very quick! Best of luck.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Getmesober, there is lots of free support in the UK, I;m when through my GB to turning point. I;ve been having 1:1 session for the last couple of months, and also starting a group (only 3 of us) session next week.

One of the main reasons I drink is to sleep, but as I;m sure your aware, alcohol is bad for your sleeping patterns in the long run. I', starting to get my head in the right place, which is found very important. I;ve also done lots of reading on the net, and you fine so many people have the same or very similar challenges
Old 06-24-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies, still no sleep and I told my partner when she got up. She was understanding and said she has been thinking for a while it was becoming a problem. She offered to get all the drink out the house, wine, and spirits we keep in a cabinet in the kitchen.

I told her there was no need as I wont drink them, they're like ornaments i guess , but shes doing it anyways
Old 06-24-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's great you have spousal support

D