Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do you cope when the 12 Step Program is just not your cup of tea?

Notices

How do you cope when the 12 Step Program is just not your cup of tea?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobR View Post
I guess the reality when dealing with folks in the Recovery Business is still "Fake it till you make it"
Welcome Bob. I attended AA meetings in my area for many months without working the Steps. I was able to share in a general away. Of course, I didn't talk about working the Steps, but I was able to share about some of the beneficial information I found in the Big Book, and give encouragement to any newcomers. I don't feel I was being dishonest in any way.

Also, if being around other sober people is important, there are other, secular groups that offer meetings. Other posters have already listed the names of those groups. Have you checked to see if they offer meetings in your area?

Personally, I disagree that you have to "fake it till you make it", even if you continue to attend AA meetings without working the Steps.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
p***enger

I attend AA and I don't do the steps or have a sponsor. It's what I call AA limbo. It's working ok for me for now. SR is better support for me on a day-to-day basis but I need to check in with some face-to-face too.

I don't fake anything. I tried that and it felt worse than limbo. I attend meetings and when I have something to say that might be helpful to someone else and that isn't inconsistent with the AA program, I try to share it.

I mostly don't share about my own problems in meetings anymore, because I'm not willing to accept the AA solution, so it seems pointless. I think it's important to show respect for the program when you attend.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"The only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking.

The following steps are SUGGESTED AS a program for recovery..."

Straight from the big book my friend.

I don't really see what the battle you are fighting is.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have been sober this time over 2 years

I am not here to gripe about AA, just saying that I know a whole bunch of people like me are out there. I know I am not the kind of guy to try and re create the wheel because of my vast knowledge on the subject, nor am I about to try and re create AA.

BobR,

good; you know what you don't want and what you won't attempt to re-create.

so how about creatimng something different for yourself and the others you know are out there?

go to The LifeRing Home Page | Sobriety, Secularity, Self-Help, check them out good, and note that if you like what you see after you investigate, you could indeed start a LifeRing meeting.
no steps, no HP required, face-to-face peer support.

you can make it happen and widen that availability for something entirely different from AA.