Notices

Pleasure vs. Pain

Old 06-23-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Pleasure vs. Pain

I know there has to be scientific explanations for this but sometimes it seems like a design flaw that it is so easy to remember things that are pleasurable - I mean the essence of the pleasure - and forget the essence of pain. After the hell I just went through, I was out for a nice relaxing walk this evening and suddenly, out of the blue, I recalled that warm feeling in my belly and pleasant numbness of a buzz in my head. I'm in no danger of drinking, so don't think that. Besides, I'm on Antabuse and wouldn't drink even if I wanted to, but why would that be the memory I recall and not the agony I just went through a week and a half ago trying to escape it? If pain could be remembered as specifically and explicitly as can pleasure, staying away from booze forever would be a no-brainer for me.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
If pain could be remembered as specifically and explicitly as can pleasure, staying away from booze forever would be a no-brainer for me.
There's a theory that we have evolved this way for a reason. If, for example, women remembered the pain of childbirth more vividly than the pleasure of parenting a baby, then they wouldn't have as many children - which would be bad for the survival of our species.

We're also optimistic by nature, which is why it takes many of us so many bad experiences to conclude that our drinking can never be controlled. Next time will be different!

Evolution might work against us addicts in some respects, but we can still overcome and flourish. Sounds like you're on the right path. Stay the course!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here's a good read about the reward center of the brain and how we train it with pleasurable experiences: How does the reward center in the brain work? - Curiosity
Old 06-23-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Non makes some good points!!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The posts above have a lot of truth about this. Also, it is closely related to how healthy motivation works, how our brain regulates that. If we overemphasized the negative in experiences, it would seriously interfere with being able to keep going and doing even simple maintenance type activities because they would become aversive. Of course there is the phenomenon when people get hooked on abuse and negative experiences, but that's not a healthy type of motivation.

Also, as we know, in addiction the regulation of motivation gets seriously messed up, in part via how drugs, alcohol, and addictive behaviors affect theabove mentioned "reward center" and associated brain systems.

Here is a good book about it if you are interested:
Robot Check
Old 06-23-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Every once in a while I try to deliberately think about the bad aspects of drinking. I try to feel the bad feelings. I also think a bunch of the good stuff I remember is just fantasizing.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i have a mental picture in my mind of my last drinking days and all the pain and suffering i caused to my family
the only way i can keep this picture in my mind is by being around new comers who are still suffering hence we have that 12th step to help new comers is really how best we help ourselves

but of course i can now take what i have learned in aa rooms out into the big wide world and just be kind and helpful to people without worrying if someone is walking all over me as it doesnt matter if they do : )

sharing at meetings and remembering the pain of my last drinking days also helps me keep that mental picture in my mind and also help new comers get id

but today i can just accept i dont drink without any hang ups or feeling like i a missing out on anything as i know where the drink will take me because my mental picture is still there as strong as ever 10 years on
Old 06-23-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Some good info being provided here. Thanks folks! Just wish at least in the area of addictions, there could be an exception made!

It does also help coming here and experiencing the pain through others who are still struggling. I know that sounds kinda warped in a way, but it does serve as a reminder of what I was just recently going through myself.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I only express my own opinions here. Your brain is not your friend. TV makes us think that our brain will give us amazing insight, memories, cognition, etc! NO, our brain wants sugar, and quick sugar.....alcohol is mainly sugar and easy for our brain to digest!

We will win by stepping back from our brain, deciding what we really need, and going forward in moderation from there. Our brains are out to trick us.....terrible to know that, but the bastards are out to get us more addicted! But its our heart which keep us alive, we can IGNORE the brain totally :-) Let it rant and rave, it'll calm down when its ready too!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of good points here.

But, I also think that the disease of alcoholism is diabolical and will continue to try to slip in good memories every now and then because that's what it does. It doesn't mean we have to be hyper-vigilant forever, but it does mean we need to be aware.