Notices

How do you tell your drinking buddies you stopped drinking?

Old 06-23-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you tell your drinking buddies you stopped drinking?

So I get consumed with anxiety whenever I think about the task of explaining to someone why I'm not drinking. Some of my closer friends know that I've struggled with booze and probably wouldn't fuss too much if I told them, but I worry about old friends I haven't seen in awhile. For those that have successfully quit, how did you go about telling people that you've stopped? I really don't want to be labeled an alcoholic.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It can be tough trez, but those that belittle you or don't respect your decision to be sober, do you really want those people in your life or term them as friends?

My circle of close friends now includes those that accepted my decision, they don't ask questions when I have something non alcoholic at social gatherings, they don't say things like, "one won't do any harm" etc etc, and in fact they don't stand for anyone else giving me a hard time either, that's because they are true friends, they accept me for who I am and back my corner in whatever major life decisions I make without a fuss.

Naturally though my "drinking buddies" fell by the wayside as they didn't fall within this definition.

You'll know pretty much which side of the line people are on the first time you have a soft drink or don't order a beer at a social event, I wouldn't see it as how to explain to the world your decision, but out of all the people in the world, who do you now want to surround yourself with, some won't make the cut I'm afraid!!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"How do you tell your drinking buddies you stopped drinking?"

-- I don't drink anymore.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by trez View Post
So I get consumed with anxiety whenever I think about the task of explaining to someone why I'm not drinking.
Who says you have to explain anything?

You said you haven't seen them in while. Keep it that way. They are drinking buddies, you need sober ones.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've told people I quit because it makes me fat and stupid.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If they're drinking buddies I say, "I'm on the wagon". If they're not I say," I don't drink."
Nobody cares why and you don't need to tell them.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried saying nothing, I tried hints, I tried prevaricating 'um...guys...I'm kinda thinking I sorta need to stop drinking'...and finally I told them straight out.

None of those had any real effect - so I stopped hanging around with those guys

D
Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't like labelling myself an alcoholic either.

So, like Dee, I have made choices so that is no longer an issue in my life. If I am ever around people drinking, a simple 'No, thanks' has always worked.