Notices

Sober weekend with the kids

Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Sober weekend with the kids

This past weekend was the first sober weekend in a month I spent with my kids. Not to say that when I was drinking I was ever plastered out of my mind, just not quite as energetic and "with it" as I am when sober. It was a much better weekend. They even begged to stay an extra night last night and their mother relented and allowed them to stay! That made me happy. They actually enjoy staying with me and that simultaneously pleases me and makes me feel so unworthy of their love.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

GetMeOut ... you ARE worthy, do not ever think that you are not. I wish I had sobered up when my kids were younger. This is an amazing opportunity for you to watch them grow up with a clear head, to be present instead of just there, to have wonderful quality times that will become fond memories. Your children will grow up with a sober father instead of a drunk, checked out one. Congratulations on your wonderful, sober weekend. Make it the first of many!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good stuff! And, yes you are worthy! Sounds like the first of many, many wonderful kid filled weekends!!!

Awesome!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by hokey View Post
GetMeOut ... you ARE worthy, do not ever think that you are not. I wish I had sobered up when my kids were younger. This is an amazing opportunity for you to watch them grow up with a clear head, to be present instead of just there, to have wonderful quality times that will become fond memories. Your children will grow up with a sober father instead of a drunk, checked out one. Congratulations on your wonderful, sober weekend. Make it the first of many!

Thank you. They are the bright spot in my life and, quite literally, probably the only reason I am still alive. In my darkest days I was suicidal and their faces would always flash through my mind and that gave me reason to continue on. It was also the reason I threw my gun in a lake about 6 years ago. They are my anchor.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Of all the nasty stuff I have done as an alcoholic, my biggest regret is what I put my children through. They are now 20 and 21 and I can never take that back ... I don't get any do-overs ... I own that. What I can do now is to stay sober and be a better mom NOW. I wish you the very best and hope that your entire life improves ... I know theirs will if you don't drink.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by hokey View Post
Of all the nasty stuff I have done as an alcoholic, my biggest regret is what I put my children through. They are now 20 and 21 and I can never take that back ... I don't get any do-overs ... I own that. What I can do now is to stay sober and be a better mom NOW. I wish you the very best and hope that your entire life improves ... I know theirs will if you don't drink.
My 2 girls are 13 and 10, so there is still time left (I hope) to make those relationships better than ever.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi GetMeOut, so pleased for you your weekend with the kids was good.

It's great when the fog lifts and we're sober, what a feeling. Congratulations.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's fantastic!! Great Job!!