Notices

Trying to stay strong

Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Trying to stay strong

Hello everyone,

Peter here, my first sober day was may 12th (42 days).

I was drinking beer, it got out of control, I spent almost every day of the last 4 years drinking. I was functional, so I justified to myself drinking what started as a few beers after work, turning into a 6 pack a day, turning into 12 packs of tall cans. My diet became very poor, I was substituting beer for meals.

I had tried a few times to cut back or limit my consumption but it became apparent that was not something I could do. I decided to give it up cold turkey.
I did it on my own, it was very hard at first but started getting easier after 3 weeks...but this last week has become bad. recently I'm realizing most of the people I hung out with are all drinkers. I feel awkward meeting new people and being social without drinking. Its everywhere I look, its socially acceptable, its legal...
I'm hurting, I'm lost, I feel alone

Thanks for listening
Old 06-22-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Peter, well done on 42 days. Keep the urges at bay and take some time to look around this site; I'm sure you will find many tools and other advice here that will help you to remove the urges to drink and stay sober.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery, Peter!

Have you ever thought about going to an AA meeting? It can be source of additional support for sobriety, as well as opening doors to sober relationships.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Peter and congrats on 42 days! You'll find lots of support on this site
Old 06-22-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 42 days, nice work! Stay strong. You'll be glad you did. I quit on my own, too. I have been to an AA meeting recently and it was good for fellowship purposes and to have face to face contact with folks who understand my/our condition. I did not disinherit my friends upon sobriety and almost all of them drink. However, since then my horizons have expanded and I've made new, sober friends. It took a little while. The awkwardness of socializing will ease over time. You've done a great thing here with your decision to quit drinking, taking care of yourself! Stay the course, sir.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Pete,
you will hopefully be encouraged to learn that today you have proved you are axactly twice as strong as me. The best I could manage on my own was 21 days, three whole weeks, a hell of a long time, and it got more hellish each day until I had to drink.

Like someone else suggested, I eventually went to AA, and found the strength to stay sober permanently, and enjoyably. Maybe you could check it out.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey pete--we're on almost the same calendar. May 11 here (though my clock has been reset a few times up to this point). Great to see you here and understand your struggle intimately. We all do. But you're making the right decision and I know your life will be better for it. Hang tough and keep it going. And check in here often. You'll find lots of support from people who know the score. It's helped me.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Peter!!

Great job on 42 Days!! You'll find loads of people here on SR that understand where you're coming from, this is a great place for support!!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Peter! Good to have you here. The first months of sobriety are a whirlwind, physically and emotionally. You go through a lot of changes and your eyes are opened to just how bad things really were. The good news is that it gets better!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Peter,
What I have found is that most of my " drinking friends" have faded away, while a few folks who have respected my decision to quit have remained good friends. You'll be amazed at how easier it gets down the road to actually remember conversations you have had with folks when not drinking.

You'll have times like these where you just have to deal with your feelings sober...keep busy and they will pass. Congrats on 42 days! That's awesome!