Notices

questions for the seasoned and in recovery

Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

questions for the seasoned and in recovery

Are you to be an alcoholic forever? I've heard 'recovering alcoholic' or 'alcoholic' but never 'recovered alcoholic'. Is one never to be shed of that label regardless of the time sober?

Do you still think about it even after years of sobriety?

Do you ever stop counting..days weeks months of sober time?

I'm 56 years old..do you find there are a lot of twenty somethings here that binge drink… feel guilty about it then never come back? I worry about those. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Strength to all.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find lots of 'recovered alcoholics' on SR.

Personally, I don't mind referring to my self as a recovering alcoholic.

The cravings and the obsessions have long gone for me, but I have many more things to fix or accept, or to learn - my recovery journey's not over yet

D
Old 06-22-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, if we are alcoholic...we are forever. We just don't drink one day at a time...Yes, after two+ years I still think about it. It's still hard to believe I'm doing this (meaning that it is a true miracle for me)! I got here late (in my late forties). I don't know how it is for the twenty somethings. I think some of us binge drink at any age.

As I've heard others say...we don't have to wear the label of "alcoholic or recovering alcoholic" on our sleeve. We can pick and choose who to tell about it. Of course if one is active in AA or another recovery group we will identify as a "recovering alcoholic" for as long as we go to meetings...
Old 06-22-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me the term alcoholic just means there is no cure. As long as I don't pick up that first drink, I'm in recovery. I don't want to forget who I am.

I am in AA, and of course it is part and parcel of the program to call oneself an alcoholic. I don't introduce myself to people outside of the program that way, nor do I wax poetic about it to people who do not understand addiction. Some people in the program intro themselves as "recovering" or "recovered alcoholic." It doesn't bother me what other people decide to say about themselves. I know who I am.

I will never be able to drink in moderation. I've run that experiment over and over. I stopped drinking for 18 years, and when I picked it up again I was right back to blackout drinking within a year.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your posts. I find strenght in those that have some time under their belts. I want that to be me one day. I have more sober days than drinking days but thats not good enough. It's gotta be all or nothing. This feels like I'm on the verge of true failure.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As long as you keep trying that doesn't sound like failure to me. You are here seeking help as well, the more support you get the better chance you have.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why can't you be on the brink of lasting success?

I think we can overcomplicate the task sometimes.

If you really want to stay sober - and you do everything you can to stay that way, that's a pretty good basis for lasting success.

Self doubt is one of your addictions greatest weapons.

You are sober now - you have the power. Your AV has no arms or legs. It needs you to 'come on board' for you to drink.

Don't come on board
Old 06-22-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Wow... I wish I could say that I had more sober days than drunk days but it is going to be a long, long time before that is possible! I drank and used for 38 years and I now have 23 months sober and 18 months off pot...

I consider alcoholism a lifetime disease that has no cure as I know that if I have 1 beer, it will be ON! I too live my life one day at a time and try to work on my recovery every day. That process will not end until I die.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This weekend feels like 'it' to me. My husband went on a huge binge on Friday night. I did not and stayed at home. He was sick all weekend and said that will be 'it' for him for a long time. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise because it will make it easier for me. I cant explain it but real recovery feels 'close'. I know that sounds weird. I'm so much better than I was. I just need that one last step to be done for good.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I waited years for an event as my 'rock bottom'.
Turns out my bottom was really just a decision

You could make that decision today Not2Late

D
Old 06-22-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are right Dee... it all comes down to one thing. A decision. Its not a world event. I dont need to wait on anything or anyone else. It wont be any different today than it is tomorrow. It doesnt need to be the summer solstice or a Monday or the first of the month. It just needs to be a decision. Bless you.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Recovery is an act of the mind spirit and body and as I get well I see more that I need to face accept and do what I can. You can call yourself whatever you like its better clean or sober though and to be living life.

Best not to try to work out how it goes before its even started or wait to get well, before getting well. Take a leap today. Stop and ask for help and then take it.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

that's a great perspective Dee - thanks
Old 06-22-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Actually, I just checked the Old Farmer's Almanac, and June 23 is the best day of the month to "quit smoking" or "wean animals." You have the support of the astrological cycles!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Personally, I don't use labels. I like to keep it simple, so I'm just a regular person who never drinks. Just as former smokers have no need to declare they're recovering from nicotine, I have no need to declare I'm recovering from alcohol.

However, you are free to call yourself whatever you wish: "recovered", "recovering", "in recovery", "former drinker", "ex-drunk" etc. etc. There are no rules, and there is no "Recovery Police" who will fine you for not using labels you might not care to use.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like your signature LBrain...it may just be my new mantra.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Personally, I don't use labels. I like to keep it simple, so I'm just a regular person who never drinks. Just as former smokers have no need to declare they're recovering from nicotine, I have no need to declare I'm recovering from alcohol.

However, you are free to call yourself whatever you wish: "recovered", "recovering", "in recovery", "former drinker", "ex-drunk" etc. etc. There are no rules, and there is no "Recovery Police" who will fine you for not using labels you might not care to use.
Your absolutely right, but I find that I need a way to remind myself where I came from and how easy it woudl be to be back there if I start denying that I am an addict.

I realise thats not what your saying but it is so easy to slip from being ok and being in denial unless I have a way to keep on track, a focus you might say
Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, I don't believe in "we"; as in "we alcoholics" or "we alcoholics don't drink one day at a time". Rather, there is only "I", and "I" don't fall under anyone's else's label.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
Your absolutely right, but I find that I need a way to remind myself where I came from and how easy it woudl be to be back there if I start denying that I am an addict.

I realise thats not what your saying but it is so easy to slip from being ok and being in denial unless I have a way to keep on track, a focus you might say
This is just my opinion; I make no attempt to foist my beliefs on others. My issue with some of these labels is that they leave the possibility of drinking again on the table. If I'm "recovering" my mind says relapse is an option because I've not yet "recovered". If I'm "in recovery" the same thing. It gets a little better if I say I'm "recovered", but I don't buy the disease model, so what have I "recovered" from?

I'm just a human being who no longer drinks. And not because I "can't" drink but because I "don't" drink, ever.

No fuss, no muss, and more importantly, because I no longer drink, ever, I have no need to spend precious time "working on my recovery". However, I do spend a lot of time attempting to improve my spirituality, my intellect, my emotions, my relationships and my physical well being. But those endeavors are completely separate from my decision to stop drinking.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising
However, I do spend a lot of time attempting to improve my spirituality, my intellect, my emotions, my relationships and my physical well being. But those endeavors are completely separate from my decision to stop drinking.
Great why not tell us more about that then, thats the good stuff. Which by the way is what most programs try to guide you to, the rest is up to us.