Notices

Sober Dating? How to do it in your 20s?

Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your replies...! Somehow I got unsubscribed to this thread so I am reading the responses now
Old 06-23-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
At fourteen days, I was in no condition to start dating. Doing so was the last thing that occurred to me, and this remained the same for well over a year. I had nothing good to offer another person, and I was such a mess that I couldn't even conceive of sharing time with a stranger who was also a potential partner. It didn't make sense to me on any level. I also could not and did not go anywhere where liquor was served. I was convinced that, had I done so, I would have had more than just a single drink, and would have likely continued to drink indefinitely, so intense were my cravings and so broken a person I had become in early sobriety. This also lasted for well over a year.

The idea that we "have to date" because our younger years are fleeting, and that this is what "everyone does" during their twenties and thirties is potentially destructive for people in early recovery, and a convenient distraction from getting sober and doing the necessary work on ourselves. It amounts to the same kind of thinking that tells us it's impossible to stop drinking during our youth because everyone else is doing it. That's just my opinion.

When the subject of dating in early sobriety comes up, I'm reminded of something someone said at a beginners meeting in early sobriety about the mythical Thirteenth Step: "My life has become unmanageable, and I want to share it with someone."

I think everyone is different. I have a ton to offer people. I'm in great shape, I have a killer career, I'm well traveled, and extremely knowledgable, highly social, well liked, and well respected. I may be on day 15 or 16 of not drinking, but I've been building my life back up for the last 9 months. It's not like I went into rehab or detox 14 days ago. My hospital visit was 9 months ago, but I still drank 1-2 times per week for the past 9 months... so I'm completely ready today to date. My life doesn't need any repair, I just need to make sure I stay sober.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Too soon!! Worry about yourself right now!! Plenty of time plenty of fish out there!! Congrats on 2 weeks.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
I honestly think for most girls it actually goes for you. You seem to be taking care of yourself, you're disciplined and most importantly- you're different from most guys. These are all very attractive traits. Remember sub-consciously her mind and your mind are going "the species must continue! We must reproduce!" even if you don't actively want children. So being responsible is sexy, on a fundamental level.

Yeah, that's right, get your responsibility on, you finished those tax returns? Daaaaamn.
Haha this made me laugh out loud for real lol... thanks!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
I think everyone is different. I have a ton to offer people. I'm in great shape, I have a killer career, I'm well traveled, and extremely knowledgable, highly social, well liked, and well respected. I may be on day 15 or 16 of not drinking, but I've been building my life back up for the last 9 months. It's not like I went into rehab or detox 14 days ago. My hospital visit was 9 months ago, but I still drank 1-2 times per week for the past 9 months... so I'm completely ready today to date. My life doesn't need any repair, I just need to make sure I stay sober.
Be that as it may, I just can't unremember what you put your last girlfriend through.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
I think everyone is different. I have a ton to offer people. I'm in great shape, I have a killer career, I'm well traveled, and extremely knowledgable, highly social, well liked, and well respected.
While you are rattling off attributes, don't forget humble
Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Try online dating. I mean online only. No need to go to bars, dilemmas whether the other drinks or not are irrelevant, and you don't need to kiss the wrong person.

Just beware, it can be addictive!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Characterising women that don't drink as uptight, boring and lame is superficial (at best) and frankly a little immature. Don't judge a book by it's cover. I've been out with reserved, soft spoken women and once they've gotten comfortable with me they turned into hell cats and were a blast to be with.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oldselfagain View Post
Characterising women that don't drink as uptight, boring and lame is superficial (at best) and frankly a little immature. Don't judge a book by it's cover. I've been out with reserved, soft spoken women and once they've gotten comfortable with me they turned into hell cats and were a blast to be with.
I have to believe that when people say stuff like that they're referring to people in general. And just kinda slip up only cuz they're referencing the sex they're attracted to. Saying this, cuz I almost did it myself in my own post. Maybe I even did .
Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nah man, sober girls are the best. Seriously, they don't need drugs to have fun so they tend to have tons of interesting hobbies, are in better shape and can hold a conversation without a drink in their hand.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Be that as it may, I just can't unremember what you put your last girlfriend through.

And what would that be? Because I met with her two months after the break up and told her that while we were together I had a drinking problem? Everyone on this board has responded thus far and said that as alcoholics we don't have to reveal our past if we don't feel comfortable. I finally felt comfortable, ironically enough as it was after we broke up, to come clean and tell her. We didn't break up because of my drinking and I certainly never treated her badly. When I asked about advice on making amendments with her on this board I was insanely emotional and luckily I followed your guys' advice on asking her for permission to meet with her and discuss my problem. So from her perspective, she never saw me in that highly emotional state. So what are you referring to with this statement?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oldselfagain View Post

No, you are right, but it is a generalization based upon my previous experience with people that don't drink. Of course not all girls that don't drink will be like that and of course there are girls that drink that are like that, were talking about dating here which is a game of probabilities. So generalizations are useful I believe.