Notices

Domestic abuse

Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Needinghelp82 View Post
I think I may drink. 27 days in and I'm tempted to do it to escape. I won't, as long as I'm on here...
Then, by all means, stay on here! Alcohol will not offer an escape. It is a prison and you are all too aware of that, I think. All your problems will be compounded by adding poison back into the mix.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I remember when I broke my foot and the feeling of helplessness was pretty big. I was forced to sit for a couple months and it was in the summer when I'm normally really active. I watched a lot of TV. You can watch a whole bunch of documentaries...that's what I did. I also spent time in the library and at the mall just sitting on a bench to get me out of the house. Staying in is no way to handle it.

Keep away from the bottle. That way lies danger and death. You need your wits about you. You can make a lot of plans for your escape while you are home. Definitely call friends and try to get out. Don't hide this, don't cover for him.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - I resisted and I'm in day 28! I don't think it helps my interfering MIL is constantly in my face. She doesn't know about him kicking me but keeps going on about my alcoholism.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Well done on not drinking. It's so critical you don't drink now .I echo what others have said-who knows what sort of abuse you have been blocking out that is now becoming apparent now you're sober. Your daughter needs you to stay sober for her sake and for yours.

Ignore your MIL if she irritates you or picks on you. She will only interfere for as long as you allow her to. Or tell her the truth about her son.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Well done on not drinking. It's so critical you don't drink now .I echo what others have said-who knows what sort of abuse you have been blocking out that is now becoming apparent now you're sober. Your daughter needs you to stay sober for her sake and for yours.

Ignore your MIL if she irritates you or picks on you. She will only interfere for as long as you allow her to. Or tell her the truth about her son.
I'm enjoying being sober and that is keeping me going. I would be so so easy to go buy a bottle of wine and sink into it but I don't want that. I don't want to waste anymore of my life on booze.

MIL is a pain in the behind - she thinks because she is a nurse she has every answer. My GP yesterday has referred me to the mental health service and she thought he had 'let me down' and wanted to go back in and speak to him! He is a great doctor who has been very understanding towards my mental health issues and my alcoholism.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

MIL is a pain in the behind - she thinks because she is a nurse she has every answer. My GP yesterday has referred me to the mental health service and she thought he had 'let me down' and wanted to go back in and speak to him!
Are you kidding me? Wow...you're MIL has some control and boundary issues here. Although nurses provide a difficult and much needed service, often their entire identity is built around caretaking (read: control and codependency). I am not saying all nurses...but in the weight loss work I do I have seen A LOT of struggle in that regard.

My sister...who is also currently in recovery is having a terrible time with her daughter-in-law..who is also ...a nurse.

I can't help but wonder what her support and advice would be if she knew her son sent you to Emergency.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

bump
Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

IMHO no amount of verbal "pushing" ever justifies physical revenge. Please discuss this with your daughter as soon as you are strong enough.

Does your partner drink or use drugs? Because an argument over the washing up hardly seems reason to lash out so viciously that he broke your bones. This complete lack of self control tells me that for whatever reason, he is only one argument away from doing the same thing to your daughter.

Are his apologies real? Why would he not take you to hospital? Probably the same reason he has not told his mother what he has done, and the same reason he's blaming you for the whole thing. SHAME.

How long until he starts blaming it on your drinking? not long I'm willing to bet.

I'm sorry, no amount of advice can change your mind if you are determined to stay with him, but please, for your own sake and that of your daughter, take a little control in this relationship, you seem mentally floored by this man. You now have the upper hand, you can report him at any time and he knows it. I'm not saying stop loving him, I'm certainly not condoning any sort of blackmail or abuse but please find some strength from this incident. Stop living your life scared and confused.

Many, many congratulations for not drinking.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Well MIL topped it today! Turned up insisting I get a doctors appointment so I told her what happened Sunday! She was furious with hubby. Hope this doesn't have any repercussions...
Old 06-26-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

I hope it has repercussions for HIM.

I have a broken leg right now, and I live in a split level home. I understand when pain sets in and you are tired and start to panic. Don't be tempted. Look at your sweet children's face and know they need a sober mom. You want this too, don't let this rob you of that.

XXX
Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I won't comment on the title thread as there's plenty of people doing that.But I have broke my right foot 3 times so I know all about a broken foot!So if you need any advice or have any questions then ask away :-)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Well MIL topped it today! Turned up insisting I get a doctors appointment so I told her what happened Sunday! She was furious with hubby. Hope this doesn't have any repercussions...
I think it's great you told her the truth and I hope HE DOES have repercussions for his actions!
good for you.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

There is really no reason to keep this a secret..from her..or anyone. Unfortunately, your husband's issues may stem in part to unresolved stuff with her. Are you still in touch with the abuse hotline people?
I too am trying to disentangle myself from an abusive relationship. It is no easy task.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
There is really no reason to keep this a secret..from her..or anyone. Unfortunately, your husband's issues may stem in part to unresolved stuff with her. Are you still in touch with the abuse hotline people?
I too am trying to disentangle myself from an abusive relationship. It is no easy task.
I gave them my name yesterday and explained what happened on Sunday. I've not spoken to them since.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

abuse

I am so sorry. He does not have the right to hurt you. You should seek support/advice. A hotline/shelter could help.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

I don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say that Im following this thread and thinking of you..
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Do you have any fears for your immediate safety?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Do you have any fears for your immediate safety?
No, I'm pretty sure I will be ok. I'm just tired tbh and still in shock
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Needinghelp I am praying for you. I had no idea. I am amazed at your strength but please please take care of yourself.
Hugs!