Notices

50 days sober

Old 06-22-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50 days sober

I'm happy that I am 50 days sober today.my intense cravings have reduced greatly but I am guarded against any small slip as I have slipped in the past.
For me now I find the lonliness my greatest challenge. I have few friends to speak of as I isolated myself when drinking. I also notice my mood changes all the time. I read here each night and that helps but I have an emptiness inside me that I would love to go away......
Old 06-22-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 50 days lovingingerbeer

I think the more we build a new life the more we make new friends, ones who only know us as non drinkers, or we reconnect with old ones who prefer us this way

It all takes time tho

Have you any hobbies or interests LGB?

D
Old 06-22-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Lovingingerbeer View Post
I'm happy that I am 50 days sober today.my intense cravings have reduced greatly but I am guarded against any small slip as I have slipped in the past.
For me now I find the lonliness my greatest challenge. I have few friends to speak of as I isolated myself when drinking. I also notice my mood changes all the time. I read here each night and that helps but I have an emptiness inside me that I would love to go away......

Hi and welcome. I understand all too well the loneliness and isolation, and that hollow feeling inside. I sequestered myself away to do all my drinking, too, and it left me with no close friends to turn to for anything. I find the mood swings are normal every time I quit. I'm only on day 10 this time, myself. 50 days is great! Keep at it. I know from experience it does start getting easier. As far as the loneliness, even though I'm not invested in the 12 step idea, I have started going to AA just to be around likeminded people. The loneliness is unbearable at times.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I find loneliness insurmountable at times as well. Or the relationships I have seem overly superficial. I can't offer a solution, but know that you can always post here and someone will offer a kind word of support.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Congrats on 50 Days, loving beer. Good for you for recognizing 'what's up' and sitting with the discomfort. Here's to figuring out what can be done with those feelings

Old 06-22-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 50 Days!!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go on your 50 days!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time! That is amazing. You could have been describing me in your post. I was also an isolated, secretive drinker. It was only when I removed alcohol from my life that I realized how empty it is! I too have few friends as I ruthlessly removed everything from my life that interfered with my addiction.

I try to focus on the positive. Yes, my life is empty NOW.....but look at how much room I have to grow. All the possibilities, all the activities and experiences that I can enjoy now that I'm not wasted all the time. I am having a lot of fun dreaming and planning for the future (now that I have one, lol.)

As for the mood swings, I am also experiencing this wonderful phenomenon. (Reading about PAWS has given me a realistic expectation of what to expect, sadly.) Nothing to be done except understand that our brains needs to heal. It will take time. I spent over 20 years creating this problem, it will probably take a few more to sort it out.

This forum has been incredibly helpful to me. So many caring people and a lot of good information. Thanks for sharing and keep it up.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and supportive comments....a common thread I read over and over is to give it time.
Dee, I am starting to get back into exercise and building up courage to start doing the bucket list things I've wanted to do......
Old 06-22-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats! I, too, have been isolating. When I feel better, I hope to come up with a plan to get out there and meet new people and try new things.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on fifty days sober It does get better.