SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   ....willpower ... willpower (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/336256-willpower-willpower.html)

Julie59 06-21-2014 11:31 PM

....willpower ... willpower

...only day 2 ..... but telling the"AV" to go to hell!!!:c004: (constantly!!)
but hanging in there ....

LadyinBC 06-21-2014 11:32 PM

Hang tight Julie! It does pass and it does get better.

Congrats on Day 2 :D.

gettingbetter64 06-21-2014 11:33 PM

It can get tough. It's gets easier over time good job on two days :)

ReadyAtLast 06-21-2014 11:33 PM

Can you get other support Julie,maybe AA or SMART or AVRT or even stick around SR day and night. Are you using AVRT? The book is very good-or even the online material and gives great advice on separating from your AV in situations like this. Fighting and willpower alone is difficult. I'd recommend getting more support

Congrats on day 2 :)

AlcoholFree66 06-22-2014 02:27 AM

Hi Julie - as others have said it does get easier and resisting the urge makes it easier to do just that the next time. Well done on 2 days.

Julie59 06-22-2014 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast (Post 4733837)
Can you get other support Julie,maybe AA or SMART or AVRT or even stick around SR day and night. Are you using AVRT? The book is very good-or even the online material and gives great advice on separating from your AV in situations like this. Fighting and willpower alone is difficult. I'd recommend getting more support

Congrats on day 2 :)

Hi ReadyAtLast .... thankyou .... yes I have been reading all the online material on AVRT and it is starting to make sense to me which is great .... trying to separate the "AV voice and thoughts" to the real me.....

Julie59 06-22-2014 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by AlcoholFree66 (Post 4733933)
Hi Julie - as others have said it does get easier and resisting the urge makes it easier to do just that the next time. Well done on 2 days.

Yes and I will keep resisting the urge ... and thankyou :)

Mags1 06-22-2014 02:33 AM

Hi Julie well done on day 2, tell that av where to go, lol

KAD 06-22-2014 03:08 AM

Hi Julie, and great job on 2 days! The first few days are crucial but they are toughest because the AV is kicking and screaming to get what it wants. You are in control. It can't get at the alcohol by itself. You are the only one who can give it any, so...just...don't! :) You can make it!

Julie59 06-22-2014 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mags1 (Post 4733941)
Hi Julie well done on day 2, tell that av where to go, lol

Yes Mags1 ..... I SURE WILL !!!!!!:c004:

Julie59 06-22-2014 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by GetMeOut (Post 4733961)
Hi Julie, and great job on 2 days! The first few days are crucial but they are toughest because the AV is kicking and screaming to get what it wants. You are in control. It can't get at the alcohol by itself. You are the only one who can give it any, so...just...don't! :) You can make it!

Thank you so much GetMeOut .... thats what I need to hear ..... I am not going to give IT what it wants !!!

MIRecovery 06-22-2014 03:33 AM

Will power while extremely important was never enough for me. I had to have external support.

AA gave me just enough of a boost. I went to a meeting every day and did not drink in between meetings. This simple formula has worked for countless alcoholics

Spinach 06-22-2014 03:37 AM

Keep eating and sweet drinks can help , but your getting there!
John.

KAD 06-22-2014 03:37 AM

I will add that it does help to have others to talk to as you go through this. Coming to SR is helpful, but friends in the real world who get what you're going through and can offer some kind of support is of great benefit. It's where I often went wrong...trying to go it alone and carrying the whole weight on my shoulders. Yeah, I know it was my problem to deal with, but we're social animals. We need other people. Do you have others you can turn to for help?

MIRecovery 06-22-2014 03:55 AM

Because of AA I have a huge support network. To give you some idea I know

4 Toms
5 Jeffs
2 Maggies
2 Pauls
2 Kurts
2 Steves
2 Bills
2 Ricks
2 Davids
I can honestly say I could call anyone on this list at 3:00 AM and they would talk to me if I felt like a drink

The challenge is keeping track of them in my phone because for the majority I don't know their last names

flyboy7200 06-22-2014 04:07 AM

Hey Jule

Remember the information ( AA, BB and God most of all) left behind for our addictions and journey were diligently authored for us to admit powerlessness in following those principles, this is far more important than the souls that penned it for our benefit.

Hang Tuff!!!!!!

flyboy7200 06-22-2014 04:08 AM

Julie:

read my reply.

God Bless

Julie59 06-22-2014 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by GetMeOut (Post 4734000)
I will add that it does help to have others to talk to as you go through this. Coming to SR is helpful, but friends in the real world who get what you're going through and can offer some kind of support is of great benefit. It's where I often went wrong...trying to go it alone and carrying the whole weight on my shoulders. Yeah, I know it was my problem to deal with, but we're social animals. We need other people. Do you have others you can turn to for help?

Yes I have finally started to open up to two of my friends....of course who knew all along but I never spoke to them about it.....so thats a start.... :)

sugarbear1 06-22-2014 07:25 AM

Do a search on Urge Surfing for now....

or someone will post a link for you.

neferkamichael 06-22-2014 07:33 AM

Julie59, ...only day 2 ..... but telling the"AV" to go to hell!!! FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya. :egypt:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8202952_f520.jpg