Notices

Day 11 and made it through last night....

Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 and made it through last night....

Hi All,

So I made it throught my bday dinner last night! All of my friends were drinking with the exception of me, and two friends who are pregnant or nursing. I actually had a weak moment as I was getting ready for the evening...where I really thought "so what if I have a drink? Its my bday after all! I'll just start with Day 1 tomorrow, who will know..." BUT, I just kept reminding myself how great it feels every morning, and honestly, thought back to posts I've written here and posts I've read. And I knew it wouldn't just be one day...

In the cab ride over, I was appreciating the beautiful day. And remembered how even though it was tough at time (especially day 1-5), I was happier than I had remembered being in a long time.

By the time I got to dinner, my resolve was set. My drink order was taken as soon as I sat down as the rest of the party had arrived earlier and already had their wines and cocktails. We did a quick cheers when my drink came, and the couple of people directly on the left and right of me noticed I was just having soda water, but I simply said "eh, I might get a drink later, I'm good with this for now" and that was basically it! Most everyone else assumed I was having vodka/soda. As the night went on, finally we did talk about the fact that I wasn't drinking and I said "I'm just doing this no drinking thing for a while..." w/o much more explanation and honestly, NO ONE CARED. Someone did say "well, I'm sure this not drinking thing isn't forever is it? Its just for a while" and I just said "yea" which could be interpreted any way the listener wants.

Anyways, I was so happy to wake up this morning with no regrets. It's damp and dark here today but I'm filled with sunshine anyways

I'm headed off to the farmer's market where I'm going to treat myself to some fresh fruit and maybe a fresh made ginger scone.

Hope everyone is well.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had a great sober birthday Lola

D
Old 06-21-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ditto that! sounds like you had a great, sober bday!
enjoy the scone
Old 06-21-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job Lola on getting through your birthday dinner, Day 11 is also fantastic!!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats and enjoy the market!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a wonderful birthday present to give yourself. Great job (and happy bday!) I've spent a lot of time worrying about being conspicuous not drinking around people who know me as a drinker (but who don't know the extent of my drinking adventures). But recently I had the same experience you did last night: no big deal at all. Why was I worried? Well done indeed, Lola.